Performance difference between regions

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me a clearer understanding of why there is such a huge difference in performance between regions.
Case in point : Just been flying in Norway. Had a big drop in frame rates,could only get my LOD radius to 3.5,VAS ran out after around 10 minutes.

Started flying in Denmark.Frames solid around 23, LOD up to 5.5, almost an hour flying before VAS ran out.

I know Denmark is part of Global & Norway is one of the enhanced base regions,but is there any more to it than that ?

Cheers...Kim

Hi Kim,

I think that basically you answered your own question. There is a great deal more detail in the regions so therefore VAS is more of an issue. I`m no expert but a lot of folks are using simstarter  or scenery config editor to ease the problem. I guess we are our own worst enemies in that we love all that detailed scenery so the sliders get pushed to the  right and oom!.

cheers Reg.

Norway is very dense in some areas. Maybe the comparison between Norway and Global Denmark is not a good one.

Let's say Norway and PNW. The latter is more FPS and VAS friendly in dense areas than Norway.

The UK also is quiet heavy, even in not so dense areas and NCA is great in terms of FPS and VAS.

So, yes, there is a difference in performance between regions.

It's the same with airports: Why the heck is Squamish such a framerate hog (even with FLOW functions completely ticked off) and is Sonoma smooth full monty?

Depends on the knowledge of optimization of a developer I guess and so it is with regions, again, I guess.

Squamish has quite an extensive control panel that allows the user to pick and choose just what he will do there:  fly into/out of the airport, fly seaplanes, tour the town in a helicopter, etc., etc.  If all boxes are checked, you're in for some serious problems.

Details, details.  It all depends on how many details and polygons are in the scenery.  

Ground scenery is not the only culprit.  There are quite a few aircraft out there that will suck up memory faster than the scenery.

A quick way to determine  which one is guilty reload the sim with your most basic aircraft and compare the frame rate.

Make sure that you do a complete restart with fresh memory and do not just change the aircraft without a restart.

Dale

On 10-4-2017 at 4:38 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

Squamish has quite an extensive control panel that allows the user to pick and choose just what he will do there ... If all boxes are checked, you're in for some serious problems.

Helloooooo, do we read? No? Read again:

On 10-4-2017 at 3:18 PM, bvdboomen said:

even with FLOW functions completely ticked off

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Details, details.  It all depends on how many details and polygons are in the scenery.

True, but one can do a lot more than another with the same amount of polygons. It's just which polygons are drawn in what way so they can be reduced to the max and keep the same amount of detail with more FPS.

2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Sorry Stewart. It wasn't meant to be. I typed it with a smile but forgot to put smileys with it.

No worries.  I see where I could have stated the case differently.  I enjoy flying over to Squamish from the Vancouver area, specifically from Boundary Bay--a beautiful flight.

Archived