Vector 1.51 update...

gee there's been a GREAT deal of thread locking going on!

the following is offered in the interests of users helping users.

re: this thread and the announcement thread about deleting various .inactive files...

deleting the files as recommended for the temporary fix didn't work for me - the solution was to uninstall the product and reinstall (which took almost 4 hours, using the multithread option in ftxc3).

re: this thread on vas...

user feedback: disappointing that this does not appear to have been looked at and that there APPEARS to be a 'head in the sand' attitude to customer freedback on the matter. i have also had this issue (p3dv3.4 user).

re: this thread on notifications...

ftxc3 should of course be sufficient for such notifications but for customer feedback purposes, it seems VERY heavy handed to have seen so many threads locked since this update was released.

for info/hth.

Thank you for your input.

I have no idea what you read into threads being locked.

Apparently you consider it to be some sort of display of disapproval.

This is not necessarily the case, there are numerous reasons and one is to prevent

the useful information in the topic becoming lost in further additions to that thread.

Thanks Nick, but I did ask questions in my post from earlier today related to the latest version of Vector involving rounding of coastlines that I was hoping for some feedback on.   I really think this is the forum where we should/could have these discussions and help each other if we can't get precise responses from the developer(s) regarding VAS issues.   If not here, then where do we post?   Isn't it of benefit to Orbx in the end to allow users to discuss their issues.   Those who don't experience problems won't be interested in reading the content here anyway.    

Of course you can ask questions about problems you may be having with the products, that is

what the forums are for.

I have read your post in the locked topic again and I can't see any questions in there, more 

statements but perhaps I have misunderstood.

The question asked in that topic was had the VAS problems in the specific area been addressed

and the answer does appear to be no.

From what you yourself wrote, the developer does not agree that the problems exist.

The subject of Vector and VAS has been very extensively covered already in these forums.

If you have a new and different question, by all means post a topic on that subject.

Dear Nick 

Before I updated the Vector 1.51 version, I installed the Aerosoft Madeira -X Evolution and the elevation is correct. But after I updated to Version 1.51, the elevation found wrong even after I run the tool. Moreover, when I checked the list in the Insertion Point of FTX Central 3, there is no FTX Global Vector Entry (AEC) therein. Also the Open LP of Europe and FTX scenery always above the 3rd Party Scenery when installed. Any amendment for these in future.

I asedk this question in the locked forum, and got no answer. So, forgive me for asking again. I have what I think is a successful download and installation, at least no anomalies so far. But, the configuration tool identifies itself as Vector 1.50, not 1.51. Am I still using the same old vector, or is this simply a case of mislabeling. Thanks....

Sherm

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

The answer is in the said locked topic

Thank you NIck. I evidently missed that answer in the other thread. FWIW, I appreciate the patience and personal attention you have shown throughout this situation as well as so many other issues brought up by owners. This falls under the heading of Terrific Customer Appreciation and Support.

Sherm

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hi Nick, just found this thread, is it advisable to wait for a fix for this update or should I just uninstall and redownload Vector?

I saw all the locked threads and you really took ownership of this issue in a very gracious way, and I saw your recommendation about deleting certain files.  All appreciated.

So as it stands now, I don't know what Orbx is advising, wait or uninstall the old and D/L the new?

Thanks.

Best regards.

Jack

Hello Jack,

If you just delete these eight files, it should be fine.

APT_BISF.inactive

APT_BIAR.inactive

APT_BINF.inactive

APT_BIRK.inactive

ABP_BISF.inactive

ABP_BIAR.inactive

ABP_BINF.inactive

ABP_BIRK.inactive

There is certainly no need to download either the update or the full product.

Thanks Nick, but I don't understand when you say no need to download the update.  If I just delete the files listed above that's the update?

What steps are recommended?  Let FTX update it, then before running AEC delete these files and then run AEC?  Sound correct?

And thanks for your help.

Jack, There's really no need to re-run the AEC tool after you've downloaded and installed the new v1.51.  The new Vector doesn't make any changes to airports whose elevations have already been corrected.  The trouble folks are having is because they are running the automatic AEC tool when they don't need to, so Nick is suggesting that if you want to run the auto AEC tool, delete those 8 files first.  I don't the see the point in re-running the tool and have not done so.

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Jack, There's really no need to re-run the AEC tool after you've downloaded and installed the new v1.51.  The new Vector doesn't make any changes to airports whose elevations have already been corrected.  The trouble folks are having is because they are running the automatic AEC tool when they don't need to, so Nick is suggesting that if you want to run the auto AEC tool, delete those 8 files first.  I don't the see the point in re-running the tool and have not done so.

Thanks Stew.  So I run the updater and then delete those files if I want to run AEC.  Got it.  Most appreciated.  Think I'll do it now as I ain't gonna be buying KSAN today.  Soon, oh so soon.....

Yep, you got it.  Save yourself the trouble and don't bother running the auto AEC tool, that way you don't have to worry about deleting anything.  Anytime you run into an elevation problem with a new airport, simply apply the elevation correction manually.

17 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Yep, you got it.  Save yourself the trouble and don't bother running the auto AEC tool, that way you don't have to worry about deleting anything.  Anytime you run into an elevation problem with a new airport, simply apply the elevation correction manually.

I see, manually.  Makes sense Stew.

Thanks.

Sorry Jack, I wrongly thought you had already done the update.

How the update works is to reset all the Vector control panel options to default and save a temporary profile.

Then it adds all the new files.

When it has finished, it restores the profile and all should be well.

Any duplicates are deleted by the Vector control panel which has been modified by Pilot's to do this and prevent

the errors.

For reasons that have not yet been established, in the case of the eight files, this process does not take place,

so if they are inactive, the active files are replaced but the inactive files are not deleted.

It cannot be that there are both active and inactive files at the same time and this is what causes the error.

However, diligent research by Ed has revealed that it is only these eight files that are affected, out of tens of thousands.

Deleting them after the update and before the auto-config is run will remove the duplicates and therefore the error.

Once this is done, Vector will work exactly as it should.

As Stewart says, there is no need to run the auto-config because after the update, the pre-existing config is restored. 

Manually disabling the airports is a good option but if you delete the offending files, auto-config will work too.

Thank you Nick.  No, I had been holding off after seeing the issues others had.  And after reading a lot of posts I was unsure of the proper procedure.  So this also means I'll have to bring back in my saved lights profile too I imagine.  No problem.  I'm going to do it now.

Thanks for explaining this.

in re the config tool and the 8 files, I ran the config too before seeing this info. Should I simply leave the 8 files in place or go ahead and delete. Then. My initial thought is to move the files to storage, out of the Vector folder, and see what happens. Thanks for any thoughts and procedures on this.

Sherm

Hi Nick, I just wanted to let you know I updated Vector and then deleted the files and as a test ran AEC.  Works A-OK.

Your help is very much appreciated but I'd like to know one thing, how in the world do you know all this stuff?  I'm amazed but very pleased.

Thank you Nick!

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Nick has inside help we mere mortals are not privy to.  Ha!

Jack,  You should be aware that if you have made any manual changes to any airport AEC, your running the auto AEC tool has negated those changes.

Hi Stew, I may have made a manual change or two but that was a while ago when I did a ferry flight over Canada somewhere.  Not a big deal as I'll make notes now if I have to make any manual changes with AEC.

You guys are the BEST!

2 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Jack,  I have a list of about 27 airports which I've had to run a manual AEC correction.  All but one have AEC disabled.  The lone AEC "enabled" is a freeware version of Albuquerque KABQ, which has its own set of problems.

Could you PM me your list Stew so I can go to all of them and check it out?

I blindly trusted the update without looking for problems in the forum, not even the update announcement, so i fell into the trap of not deleting the 8 files before running the AEC tool, which I wanted to run because I added two airport sceneries to my library. Now after deleting those files I still cannot run the AEC tool so I am in the process of downloading for the next 40 min.

Fooled me once.  I will certainly check the forum before using FTX Central to updates products in the future.  Perhaps you beta testing might improve as the result of this??  Oh wait, I assumed you test the updates. Sorry.

Is it unreasonable for the FTX Central Updater to take care of this kind of housekeeping? At least inhibit the FTX Central from blindly updating a flawed update. 

Hello,

The eight files are the only error and if an error remains after deleting them,

it was very likely already there.

There is no need to run the AEC auto configuration after installing the update.

1.50 is the latest version of the Vector control panel.

No, this error did not occur in pre-release testing.

All these questions have already been asked and answered.

Apologies for inconvenience have already been made.

I apologise for the inconvenience again.

Hello Don,

Yes, the question has gone back to Pilot's whose software it is.

If you would prefer to wait, by all means do so.

Eventually, we will all have an update that works with one button click.

We didn't expect this and as I have said before, we didn't find it happening

when we tested it and we are sorry for the inconvenience.

FWIW, I like so many others, have downloaded and installed the present update without any issues, simply by following instructions. There has been no need for me to delete any files. The files mentioned by Ed in the initial announcement are all in Iceland. I have checked each of the airports, and all are perfectly flattened with no plateaus or other irregularities. 

As someone else pointed out, perhaps Doogles (spelling???), once you have downloaded and installed Vector 1.50, (1), reopen FTXC and click on the Vectors Box in the  FTX Global Range section. Hover your mouse over the text which reads "This product is installed and up to date". A popup will appear revealing that it is in fact Vectors 1.5.1

Sherm

Archived