Seeing Full Detail with Northern California Product

Mrb55

Sorry if this is a newbie type question:

I'm trying to configure the Orbx Northern California product to provide a level of detail that would allow me to see the unique San Francisco city skyline, including the Transamerica building among other sites (like SBC Park). However, even at the maximum resolutions, I am not seeing anything other than generic buildings during flybys and no high rises are visible.  In addition, I haven't seen Alcatraz Island in the bay either, only Angel island.  I'm running FSX Gold Edition with all patches.

I've seen youtube videos of users flying over the city so I know its possible to get it configured correctly.  For the scenery library, I have FTXAA_ORBXLIBS selected and in the 1 spot and the following selected below it:

2.  FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY

3.  FTX_NA_NCA06_CVX

4.  FTX_NA_NCA07_MESH

5.  FTX_NA_NCA08_CUSTOM

The only other scenery selected is:

24. Propeller Objects

25. Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

130. 0005 Base

136. Default Scenery

137. Default Terrain

They appear to "have to be checked" as they are considered default to the program.

Within the FTX Central 3 program, all of the graphical options for the Northern California package have been enabled.

System:  

CPU:  I7-4770K

MB: ASUS-Z97

RAM: 16 GIG

VCard - MSI R9 270X

WIN 10 PRO

Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Bit concerned i am reading your statement that "the only other scenery selected is" is incorrect. All the default scenery library needs to be ticked. The only items you can untick at your will are any addons and not any of the default listings.

I suggest you enable/tick every thing in your scenery library and see what happens.

Your entries 1-5 are fine but since they are apparently the only addons you have at present, then everything below that should be ticked as enabled/active.

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

If you disable almost the entire simulator, you should not expect to see the detail

included in it.

As well as the good advice above, you would also need the Orbx libraries, of which

there seems to be no trace.

Sorry for my confusion but don't the new orbx files completely replace the need for the default scenery?

I am also using a free tool called scenery editor

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net

that allows me to limit number of files I choose for scenery which reportedly also lowers the system memory requirements for a given flight.  Is that the wrong approach?  It was recommended by AVSIM.

http://www.avsim.com/files/file/41-basic-fsx-configuration-guide/

Aren't these orbx scenery files?

1.  FTXAA_ORBXLIBS

2.  FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY

3.  FTX_NA_NCA06_CVX

4.  FTX_NA_NCA07_MESH

5.  FTX_NA_NCA08_CUSTOM

Again, I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to optimize the configuration for my system where possible. I really appreciate all your help. Thank you

I see that you do have orbxlibs installed at the number 1 position, but to answer your question again, No you must have the default library entries enabled for the sim to work properly.

The use of Scenery Editor is designed to allow you to disable other ADDON sceneries that may be irrelevant to your chosen flight scenario. For example if you had FTX AU but also had FTX NCA and choose to fly in NCA then you could use Scenery editor to deactivate FTX AU as it would not be required for your flight.

I hope my and Nick's advice is now clear to you.

That makes perfect sense.  I reenabled all of the base files and am now seeing the buildings but still no Transamerica building and no Alcatraz island...Not sure why. If it's not there...not huge deal.  I just want to get my system optimal to run the orbx products and maximize their beauty.  Any suggestions?  Thanks again!

Hi Mr55,  I have just popped in to add my welcome to Nick's. 

For what it's worth,  I never edit the scenery files. My understanding is that the simulator will only load the files it needs for the area you are flying in. So to use the above example if you are in San Francisco any Australian files are not even loaded. I could be wrong. 

As far as any extra detail is concerned,  we will have to wait until a city scape is developed for the area as has been done for several of the other cities in Orbx Land.

I found this video on Youtube that shows what the default San Francisco in FSX looks like.  Definitely shows TransAmerica Building and Alcatraz (in the distance admittedly).

Archived