FSX old scenery files

hwh86

I have checked FAQ and could not find any item relating to this. I have a folder named FSXoldsceneryfiles, size 6.74 GB, 11,570 files on my hard drive. I think it is just taking up disk space, with no practical use whatsoever but I am not confident enough to delete it. Could someone from the Orbx Developer team please confirm whether it is safe to delete this folder in its entirety.

22 hours ago, hwh86 said:

I have checked FAQ and could not find any item relating to this. I have a folder named FSXoldsceneryfiles, size 6.74 GB, 11,570 files on my hard drive. I think it is just taking up disk space, with no practical use whatsoever but I am not confident enough to delete it. Could someone from the Orbx Developer team please confirm whether it is safe to delete this folder in its entirety.

Posted 22 hours ago, 42 views and not one response. Hmmm.

99% sure that this is where you originally stored the default FSX scenery files when you install FTX Global base.  It replaced all the FSX default LC textures with improved textures.  One of the options is to save the old textures if you want to revert to stock FSX.  If the file dates are all 2006 and .bmp files that is a sure sign. 

Cut n/ Paste from the Global Base Manual:

Orbx would like to thank you for purchasing FTX Global (FTXG), which is the culmination of over six years
of texture development now combined into a single product to cover your whole Flight Simulator X or
Prepar3D world with the renowned Orbx FTX textures.

What FTX Global Does
If you are reading this User Guide you have likely already installed FTXG and perhaps taken your first
flight to discover the difference. However for the sake of providing a documented definition here is what
FTXG does:

Replaces all the default landclass textures located in \Scenery\World\Texture with custom Orbx
FTX textures

Installs FTX Central and other supporting apps into the \ORBX folder. FTX Central and these other
apps help manage all Orbx addons including FTXG, FTX Regions and FTX Airports and we’ll cover
them in more detail later

Adds 3D lights to all vector main roads all over the world. These can be turned on and off using
FTX Central (see page

Makes corrections to the base landclass for some parts of the world, particularly in SE Asia
Adds 3D lights to all textures all over the world. These can be turned off and on during
dawn/day/dusk using the FTX Lights Day and FTX Lights Night apps
So the difference between what you had before and after FTXG is quite remarkable; we like to compare
it to a complete simulator upgrade

Thank you all for your comments. I am sure it was a folder created when I installed my Orbx/FTX sceneries. I am sure it was created by the Orbx installer, from memory, the installer asked if I wanted to save all superseded FSX files, that is why I asked for help from the developer team. I have now deleted it, so far with no detrimental results. Thank you all again, more free disk space and peace of mind.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Possibly no one else has such a folder?

Certainly I do not.

Where is it and why would you think it was related to FTX products?

Not that it isn't of course, I have no idea myself and am simply enquiring.

Nick, it was in the same part of the directory tree adjacent to the "Flight Simulator X" entry.

Archived