Free PayPal Mastercard for those who like PayPal

Jordan King

Some years ago, I became very active on Ebay and wanted a faster way of accessing my money, so I learned about this seldomly advertised payment solution for those of you who prefer PayPal as your preferred way of sending or receiving money. 

PayPal offers a free to use, free to own, and free to get Mastercard that allows you to load money to it from your PayPal account or debit card, as you wish and use it for any purchases that accept Mastercard. It has no fees and comes to you in about 4 days (based on your location). Just wanted to share as I have seen that there is some concern from some of the community about the PayPal option being removed for purchases. Hope this is helpful to those impacted.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-prepaid-mastercard

2 minutes ago, MikeFlight said:

I would like pay neither with Mastercard nor with debit card, but quite normal with Paypal, as with many other add-on sellers possible to pay. And if ORBX don't want that anymore, it is completely incomprehensible for me.But then I buy nothing at ORBX. As simple as that.I don't send any credit card data over the Internet. That's why I have no credit card at the moment.

Just trying to offer a solution for those who want it. Since you cant overdraw/overdraft a PayPay debit card, it seems reasonable that it could be loaded on an as needed basis. But if you are uncomfortable with E-Commerce in general, this solution still may not be of help. 

Thanks for this Jordan, what a great idea!

I had no idea this was a thing, great for those who need this option.

apparently some of the forum users didn't read your post thoroughly though and are sticking to their PayPal guns.

Cheers

Greg Z

2 hours ago, hwh85 said:

As I have said before elsewhere, No PayPal no Orbx.

How about we keep this thread for people who would find this helpful. This campaign is what got the other thread locked. If this isnt a solution for you, please move on. No need to start this whole discussion up again. 

17 hours ago, Jordan King said:

Some years ago, I became very active on Ebay and wanted a faster way of accessing my money, so I learned about this seldomly advertised payment solution for those of you who prefer PayPal as your preferred way of sending or receiving money. 

PayPal offers a free to use, free to own, and free to get Mastercard that allows you to load money to it from your PayPal account or debit card, as you wish and use it for any purchases that accept Mastercard. It has no fees and comes to you in about 4 days (based on your location). Just wanted to share as I have seen that there is some concern from some of the community about the PayPal option being removed for purchases. Hope this is helpful to those impacted.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-prepaid-mastercard

Nice feature, but I guess it's limited to US customers as I can't find it on my PayPal account! When I follow your link, for me EU customer it says that the page doesn't exist!

Although it may be an alternative, it is not "free to use".  Directly from the Cardholder Agreement, also in the FAQ:

• Card Purchase Fee: None.
  • Purchase Plan: Monthly Plan Plan Fee $4.95 monthly
  • Signature Purchase Transaction Fee* None. Included in Plan PIN
  • Purchase Transaction Fee* None. Included in Plan
  • Foreign Transaction Fee 2.5% of the U.S. Dollar amount of the Signature or PIN Purchase Transaction

6 hours ago, JPL19 said:

Although it may be an alternative, it is not "free to use".  Directly from the Cardholder Agreement, also in the FAQ:

• Card Purchase Fee: None.
  • Purchase Plan: Monthly Plan Plan Fee $4.95 monthly
  • Signature Purchase Transaction Fee* None. Included in Plan PIN
  • Purchase Transaction Fee* None. Included in Plan
  • Foreign Transaction Fee 2.5% of the U.S. Dollar amount of the Signature or PIN Purchase Transaction

That is a good question, to be clear, in my experience that is only if you have them holding money for you/carry a balance. Just empty it out after you use it and no fee is applied. I have had this card for years and never had a fee assessed because I always keep it at a $0 balance. 

However, this may have changed since so calling them or researching it is always in your best interest. Thanks for bringing that up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes and the monthly fee (or anything else) aren't a good choice.

I add that I've chosen PP in the past because my bank (a big society, not a no name agency) had classified Australia in non secured country => no possibility to buy some stuff directly with my CC in AUD$ without PP...

I add too that I've never linked my CC to the PP account: only a link exists when I make a purchase, then I destroy it => no registration of my CC saved (viewed from me) => highly secured.

Thus, no chance actually to stay off PP for the people like me until another solution being found :( I'm going to see if Stripe is a good choice... :unsure:

Not complaining, just trying to explain why PP was a good (and forced) choice and difficult to replace -_-

I looked over some of the different prepaid card options, and most of them had the (just short of) $5 per month fee.

AMEX was the only one I found offering a basic prepaid card for $1 per month.

For anyone looking into prepaid cards, I would make sure to check out American Express, and see if it has the options you want.

On 12/24/2016 at 0:21 PM, Handie said:

This card do not exist in France.

That's a shame.

I was really looking forward to this solution.

The convenience of entering my CC details only once and then using throwable/limited-time CC.

Guess we'll have either to use Stripe or some of those "online banks" (which are not too far away from scams if you read between their lines...)

• 1 month later...
  • Tim Harris unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, it looks like I will have to go this route as well, as when I just tried to purchase with my regular card, my fraud alert went crazy and declined because I was making a "suspicious" payment to somewhere in Australia.

Bleah.

You can always get a Revolut account. They let you make virtual cards for online payments. You can also set spend limits, so if you get your card details stolen for whatever reason (like i did), they can't actually get any money from your account. What's more, if you travel you can get a physical card that lets you make transactions in foreign currencies at very low rates. And besides the fees for creating and ordering a card, everything is free.

having read the various comments re working around paypal  purchases, I come to the conclusion  no paypal , no purchase.

fortunately I have enough orbx scenery & airports to last me two lifetimes, ( I would have loved lowi,& the forthcoming Germany south, but ce la vie,

not going to happen.)

regards.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Community CEO I know they have lost a lot of sales due to no paypal payments. a lot of my members including myself will not use anything else other than paypal "Period". Hope Orbx will use paypal in the future.  

PS;  installed product I have now were purchased from flightSim Store they take paypal .....

We have not lost any sales since we stopped offering PayPal - in fact monthly revenues have increased, not decreased.

You should never assume your own opinion resembles the reality of the matter, and in this case it definitely does not.

A few vocal individuals posting "no Paypal , no Orbx" on various forums has zero effect on our business nor influences us to reconsider.

Archived