Ferry flight one step closer

Jack Sawyer

This leg is from YPDN, Darwin to YNGU, Ngukurr, Northern Territory.

Departing Darwin for YNGU

UfdHXFf.jpg

ZrOmtBO.jpg

7CbTdRV.jpg

t0n3xJ2.jpg

Now for miles and miles of nothing, it's amazing how no one lives here.

OuHYZ7z.jpg

1oJZtLX.jpg

IpOXcoq.jpg

Tlkne2S.jpg

BV6kWaw.jpg

Such a small gravel strip

jnF7MDE.jpg

Now on to YTNK - Tennant Creek

xBLTZZG.jpg

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Top shots Jack.

Not much once you get away from the coast Jack just miles of empty open land.

If you think flying across is bad you should try going by road.

Amazing Martyn, absolutely amazing to me that this huge country is like this.  It seems that it's almost uninhabited in the middle.  Is there a reason for this?  No underground water?  The heat?  Poisonous critters?  Or do people just like the coasts more? 

22 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Amazing Martyn, absolutely amazing to me that this huge country is like this.  It seems that it's almost uninhabited in the middle.  Is there a reason for this?  No underground water?  The heat?  Poisonous critters?  Or do people just like the coasts more? 

It is just huge Jack with nothing but desert for hours on end.

Flying to Thailand it is appx 2000 miles to the Western Australian coast and another 2600 miles to Bangkok.

The emptiness and the sheer size of the place is astounding.

A couple of shots from the Northern Territory, not sure exactly where as I forgot to press Ctrl+Z

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

Lack of reliable water would be the greatest reason and imagine the cost of transporting supplies around such a huge place.

Thanks Martyn!  I LOVE geography lessons like this.  I reckon Australia is about the size of the mainland US give or take.  Maybe there's lots of room to grow in Oz.  It's an enormous country.  But if there's no underground aquifers or rain then I can see problems.  Where I live in Georgia it's very hot but densely populated but all the lakes, 100% of them are man made.  And we're in a terrible drought, not a drop for months.

These photos are amazing, it shows virtually nothing for hundreds of miles.  Even in the desert southwest here in the States you don't see vast swaths of land like this uninhabited.

And, you forgot to hit CTRL+Z when on a real plane! :lol::lol::lol:

Whereever your ferry flight takes you, it will not be Alderney, I suspect...

6 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A couple of shots from the Northern Territory, not sure exactly where as I forgot to press Ctrl+Z

Now that is the kind of comments I need, you know me. Good that you had a day flight & a window seat!

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Whereever your ferry flight takes you, it will not be Alderney, I suspect...

Now that is the kind of comments I need, you know me. Good that you had a day flight & a window seat!

I did intend to start some FS/RL flights but I have done a total re install so it is going to take a while to get everything installed again.

By the time we got to Java it was twilight and too hazy to see much, was time to watch a movie!

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn!  I LOVE geography lessons like this.  I reckon Australia is about the size of the mainland US give or take.  Maybe there's lots of room to grow in Oz.  It's an enormous country.  But if there's no underground aquifers or rain then I can see problems.  Where I live in Georgia it's very hot but densely populated but all the lakes, 100% of them are man made.  And we're in a terrible drought, not a drop for months.

These photos are amazing, it shows virtually nothing for hundreds of miles.  Even in the desert southwest here in the States you don't see vast swaths of land like this uninhabited.

And, you forgot to hit CTRL+Z when on a real plane! :lol::lol::lol:

There is a fair bit of underground water but like everything , there is only so much.

Stopped at the outback Queensland town of Winton many years ago. Only bore water there which came out of the tap hot and stank of sulphur!

Hope it rains for you soon, been through some terrible droughts here and I know what it is like.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

There is a fair bit of underground water but like everything , there is only so much.

Stopped at the outback Queensland town of Winton many years ago. Only bore water there which came out of the tap hot and stank of sulphur!

:wacko:

Archived