Cloud-based scenery?

With so many of us now having high speed internet connections, are we approaching an era where scenery could optionally be stored once in the cloud and then individually licensed to be accessed by P3D dynamically during each flight?

Such an option could significantly reduce the configuration difficulties in installing on our own PC.

It could be done now. But I would never buy such a product. To me, it's foolish to trust a server anywhere in the world to deliver product on demand. The technology just isn't there yet. Besides, as above, there is no way I'm going to use my bandwidth to load scenery. Bandwidth caps will soon be a fact-of-life regardless if who your ISP may be. This is the wrong way to go.....

Doug

I don't like the idea either, however, is not movie streaming a very similar service? There are several services that stream HD movies, which is tons of data.

Again, I don't like the idea for my simming, but just pointing out that Richard's comments are not too far off the mark. ^_^

The configuration is all for the simulator to read the scenery files properly, so doing it locally on cheap hard drive space is a more efficient route than essentially downloading it again each time it is to be used and still having to configure. 

Hard drive space is incredibly cheap and reliable, server infrastructure is less so.

Never going to happen.

FSX and P3D aren't cloud client apps, but local Windows executable. This means their architecture does not allow scenery and other addons to not reside off the local PC's hard drive, nor would you want it to purely from a performance perspective.

Archived