Duplicate Orbx ADE files found

a340500

Team,

I have been experiencing CTD's of g2d.dll in P3D and was advised to run simple airport scanner to find if any duplicate AFCAD files exist that may be causing corruption and leading up to the g2d.dll CTD's

So, when running the simple airport scanner for P3Dv3.3.5, I found the following files in :

D:\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery

ADE_FTX_PNW_6OR8_Holce_&_Oblack .BGL  => contains and additional space between Oblack and .BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_6OR8_Holce_&_Oblack.BGL

Please advise if it is meant to be this way or can the first file with the additional space be deleted?

Am still running the scanner and will report back if I have any doubts on others..

Regards,

Mario

Here is another couple in the same folder:

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_&_K_Skyranch.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_&_K_Skyranch_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_K_Skyranch.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_K_Skyranch_CVX.bgl

Please let me know if they are meant to be this way or do one of the pairs need to be deleted.

Hi there,

good catches, those must have slipped in when we compiled the P3D-compatible versions of those files. Just delete the duplicates with the older file date. 

Also, ADE_FTX_SAK_AK7.BGL is indeed an older/unintentional duplicate of AK73 and thus can be deleted as well.

Cheers, Holger

On 9/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

good catches, those must have slipped in when we compiled the P3D-compatible versions of those files. Just delete the duplicates with the older file date. 

Also, ADE_FTX_SAK_AK7.BGL is indeed an older/unintentional duplicate of AK73 and thus can be deleted as well.

Cheers, Holger

I deserve a spot on your beta team ;)

On 9/9/2016 at 2:57 AM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, will compile a list of deletions and post in this thread.

Older duplicate file is deleted and marked as “Deleted” in the list below

ADE_FTX_PNW_6OR8_Holce_&_Oblack .BGL

(deleted space in the filename between OBlack &.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_6OR8_Holce_&_Oblack.BGL - Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_&_K_Skyranch.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_&_K_Skyranch_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_K_Skyranch.BGL - Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_8W9_R_K_Skyranch_CVX.bgl – Deleted

D:\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK05_SCENERY\scenery

ADE_FTX_SAK_AK7.BGL - Deleted

ADE_FTX_SAK_AK73.BGL

ADE_FTX_SAK_AK73_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_PNW_14WA_Livingston_Bay.BGL – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_14WA_Livingston_Bay_CVX.bgl – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_14WA_LZ_Ranch.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_14WA_LZ_Ranch_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_PNW_CAB3_Bedwell_Harbor_SPB.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_CAB3_Bedwell_Harbour_SPB.bgl – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_CAP5_Victoria_Airport_SPB.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_CAP5_Victoria_Int'l_SPB.bgl – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_CYWH_Victoria_Harbour.bgl – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_CYWH_Victoria_Harbour_SPB.BGL

D:\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery

ADE_FTX_NRM_D28_Tanglefoot.BGL

ADE_FTX_NRM_D28_Tanglefoot_Seaplane_Base.BGL – Deleted

ADE_FTX_NRM_ID54_Bottle_Bay.BGL

ADE_FTX_NRM_ID54_Bottle_Bay_Seaplane_Base.BGL – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_WA81_Fishermans_Bay_LPS.bgl – Deleted

ADE_FTX_PNW_WA81_Fishermans_Bay_SBP.bgl

ADE_FTX_PNW_WA81_Fishermans_Bay_SPB.bgl – Deleted

29 minutes ago, Handie said:

Hello,

Thank you for this list.
Some files to delete (or disable) are larger in size than the file to keep, is it good to do it nevertheless ?

Go for the most recent file date to keep and a BIG Thank You to Mario for his sleuthing work, very much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I’d like to suggest a bit of caution in deleting files found by the Simple Airport Scanner. I’d recommend disabling the files rather than deleting them until it’s confirmed that the files are actually duplicates.

As mentioned in the help for the utility, not everything it finds is actually a duplicate, even if the file names are similar. I think the only safe way to do it is to open each pair of suspects to see what’s there.

It’s a rather tedious job but here’s one example.  The suggestion is to delete one pair of the 14WA files:

It turns out however that these are not actually duplicates. Here is a screenshot of the extracted xml for Livingston Bay and LZ Ranch opened in Notepad ++ with the compare feature. Notice the differences.

It won’t hurt to disable all the suspect duplicates; however you might end up losing an airport. Files of exactly the same size are more likely to be true duplicates.

If I get the chance I’ll go through all of the potential duplicates and compare the xml.

Capture.JPG

13 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Hi guys,

I’d like to suggest a bit of caution in deleting files found by the Simple Airport Scanner. I’d recommend disabling the files rather than deleting them until it’s confirmed that the files are actually duplicates.

As mentioned in the help for the utility, not everything it finds is actually a duplicate, even if the file names are similar. I think the only safe way to do it is to open each pair of suspects to see what’s there.

It’s a rather tedious job but here’s one example.  The suggestion is to delete one pair of the 14WA files:

It turns out however that these are not actually duplicates. Here is a screenshot of the extracted xml for Livingston Bay and LZ Ranch opened in Notepad ++ with the compare feature. Notice the differences.

It won’t hurt to disable all the suspect duplicates; however you might end up losing an airport. Files of exactly the same size are more likely to be true duplicates.

If I get the chance I’ll go through all of the potential duplicates and compare the xml.

Capture.JPG

They are different, but both share the same icao airport code that can cause problems in the sim. Since I do not fly to the airport, I removed one of the afcad files since I do not want duplicate files sharing the same airport code.

Archived