New Zealand LC totally watered

Captain Lars

Hi,

today I wanted to install a freeware NZAA airport, and discovered that New Zealand's LC is littered with water blocks. Almost the whole island is covered in water.

First I suspected the NZAA file that I had installed, but removing it did not bring any results. Then I deactivated XClass Australia, because I suspected that the problem could be the result of a misinterpretation of the XClass landclass by Orbx Global textures, but to no avail.

This was the first time I checked NZ. I don't own the dedicated Orbx NZ sceneries, nor any other NZ scenery.

As you can see, almost only urban textures are left unharmed. Prepar3d version is 3.3.5.

Orbx Neuseeland 1.jpg

Orbx Neuseeland 2.jpg

Orbx Neuseeland 3.jpg

Orbx Neuseeland 4.jpg

Well, there was a tsunami warning this morning, perhaps that is the reason  ;)

Seriously; something wrong in your setup; maybe look at your installation orders, or even re-install and latest libraries, 'cos it shouldn't look like that at all...

Whose freeware NZAA was it? The only NZAA I've seen was *ancient*. FS2004 I think. Are any other areas outside NZ affected?

Have you tried NZFF (New Zealand Flightsim Forums)? There'll be a lot of users there that will be fairly familiar with mixing other NZ sceneries with ORBX products. People here at ORBX can (probably) only go so far before they end up saying (in the nicest possible way) "it's not our problem* ;).

I used to do it a lot in my FSX days, but have kept my P3D pretty well freeware-free. Sims can be finicky things, so I rather tend to keep it simple these days.

Of course, I can be accused of bias - but if you like simming in NZ, then the two ORBX sceneries really are very well done. Vegetation, colouring, topography are superbly done.  It's a subtle thing, but even in relatively mundane areas it all looks "just right". NZ in default FSX (and P3D) is simply *appalling* - I don't think anyone at Microsoft knew where NZ was.

Adam.

It is this scenery: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/8188/fsx-auckland-international-airport-scenery/. But it contains just the removal of the now disused rwy, nothing added as far as I know.

The next thing I'll try is removing some suspicious libraries, then running the installers again. Thank you for the hint at at the NZFF forums.

Ah, almost forgot: unticking the XClass LC for Australia even worsened it, producing a similar picture around Sydney, which only disappeared after checking XClass AU again. I cannot tell if XClass AU even contains something for NZ, but I do think so. I'll keep you updated.

Hi there,

if all you have for New Zealand in terms of Orbx products are Global Base and Vector, and the issue is not global, then it's probably some third-party landclass file that isn't compatible though it seems odd that it would be that bad across the entire country. Those morphing textures indicate that particular landclass textures can't be found, which causes the display engine to pick textures at random.

Something else to check would be the migration troubleshooter: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/117655-troubleshooting-unified-lclookup-migration-issues/

However, if there were issues with an incomplete migration then you'd likely see these issues everywhere not just in NZ.

Cheers, Holger 

10 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It is this scenery: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/8188/fsx-auckland-international-airport-scenery/. But it contains just the removal of the now disused rwy, nothing added as far as I know.

The next thing I'll try is removing some suspicious libraries, then running the installers again. Thank you for the hint at at the NZFF forums.

Ah, almost forgot: unticking the XClass LC for Australia even worsened it, producing a similar picture around Sydney, which only disappeared after checking XClass AU again. I cannot tell if XClass AU even contains something for NZ, but I do think so. I'll keep you updated.

That NZAA add-on is actually one of mine :lol:. It simply removes the old runway, so shouldn't mess up anything texture or landclass-wise.

I'm intrigued by "XClass LC". Is that from another add-on somewhere?

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

That NZAA add-on is actually one of mine :lol:. It simply removes the old runway, so shouldn't mess up anything texture or landclass-wise.

I'm intrigued by "XClass LC". Is that from another add-on somewhere?

Adam.

So you are the author of that scenery? :lol: Well, it works fine and no problems to report...

Yes, it's Cloud9's XClass World. It's not as sophisticated as Orbx openLC, but it is still better than nothing for the most part. Biggest drawback is that it draws overall too much vegetation.

7 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

if all you have for New Zealand in terms of Orbx products are Global Base and Vector, and the issue is not global, then it's probably some third-party landclass file that isn't compatible though it seems odd that it would be that bad across the entire country. Those morphing textures indicate that particular landclass textures can't be found, which causes the display engine to pick textures at random.

Something else to check would be the migration troubleshooter: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/117655-troubleshooting-unified-lclookup-migration-issues/

However, if there were issues with an incomplete migration then you'd likely see these issues everywhere not just in NZ.

Cheers, Holger 

I try this and report later, since I couldn't figure out any of the entries in the scenery library as the culprit. There was no effect whatever I disabled.

8 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

Cheers, Holger 

Thank you very much, that did the trick! Now NZ looks completely normal. I didn't even know that repari tools such as these exist. Good to know.

A big thanks to everyone in this thread!

Great news! Now that we have you up and running, you should check out some of Jack Sawyer's NZNI/NZSI posts to see what you're missing!  I've also deluged this forum with NZ pics myself. If you *really* want to treat yourself, take a look at FTX Milford Sound (NZMF) - it's simply breathtaking!

Adam.

On 2.9.2016 at 5:45 AM, Adam Banks said:

I used to do it a lot in my FSX days, but have kept my P3D pretty well freeware-free. Sims can be finicky things, so I rather tend to keep it simple these days.

I just wanted to add that there exists a great variety in freeware, from broken & ugly to outright gems. So it always depends. I just discovered sceneries of EHAM and other dutch airports (NL2K scenery) that are simply amazing, and I wonder why they don't take money for it. They could easely get 20 Euro for it.

On 2.9.2016 at 5:45 AM, Adam Banks said:

Great news! Now that we have you up and running, you should check out some of Jack Sawyer's NZNI/NZSI posts to see what you're missing!  I've also deluged this forum with NZ pics myself. If you *really* want to treat yourself, take a look at FTX Milford Sound (NZMF) - it's simply breathtaking!

Adam

I'll sure have a look!

Archived