FSPILOTSHOP is this normal ?

Gollum

For years I refused to purchase downloads because I liked to physically own what I spent my money on and worried what would happen if the supplier went out of business, but for many reasons I am now a convert to downloads.    Because I upgraded to Windows10 I recently had to reinstall all my flight sim products .All those from Flight Sim Store went without a hitch however a small download from FSPilotshop  caused me a problem ( See attached) . It seems that after a year there is a small charge for reactivating a download .I only had one and FSPilotshop have kindly sorted out my problem without charge,, but I wondered if I am the only person who hasn't read the small print ??

Message.JPG

To answer the question.  This is normal.

Given my massive payware investment I do this:

1. HD dedicated to saving all my payware, all sorted by vendor and product company....include in each folder the e-receipt, the key code or serial or whatever info is provided for unlocking the installer or activating.  Keep all versions, patches and updates in the same folder properly indicated or sorted.

- I even keep my Outlook emails sorted by payware and a archive the email so that these are backed up.

2. A backup HD with all of the above cloned, duplicated, replicated whatever you want to call it.

If one HD fails, immediately replace it and make your second copy again.

Its and electronic world, manage your home data the same way an office business might do it.

I have extensive original and backups for digital photos, scanned old photos, 35m slides, documents, old analog home movies, new HD digital movies.  DATA, DATA, DATA.

14 HDs in total, varying sizes, capacity of 32 Gigs.

This also caught me out quite a while ago, but luckily they were also very helpful with me and reset my products for free, and I think also extended the next expiration period.  I had downloaded all products and backed everything up, but it was when I was trying to download an updated version of a product.  From memory, I think (meaning best to double check this yourself) they told me that if a product was updated then the download would be reset with the new versions date, so there shouldn't be a problem there.  This still means though, that you have to keep check of the version of your products, because if you don't update in time, you may still be charged the fee to download the updated version of your product.

Although I have since purchased a few items from them, the policy also put me off a bit.  They are not the only online store that has this policy either.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply scottharmes6.

It niggles me that I have to pay to get back what I have already purchased especially when I didn't realise that that was their policy . I accept that it is probably my fault for not        seeing it somewhere ,   but it still niggles .

Regards

On 25/08/2016 at 7:27 PM, Gollum said:

You're correct .I have learnt the error of my ways and am glad that I didn't have lots to pay for, and accept that I must be at fault for not reading the rules.  

Actually, you learned the error of their ways. <_<

I won't purchase from them either, then.  I like FSS and the way they do it.  The company already has to have copies available for download and also the purchase history of their customers so what is it to just put two and two together like FSS does.

59 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Actually, you learned the error of their ways. <_<

No, they are not responsible for maintaining your downloads indefinitely, not even FSS.  Those that do are only doing it as a service to their customers, all your downloads will be lost if they go belly up.  I've made more than one purchase where the download link expired in 14 days, never mind a whole year.  Back it up or risk losing it.

7 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's your money.

Actually I think I remember doing the same for something but can't recall what it was now.

Post #5 - solves all problems with downloads.

Further, I as I reinstall my "stuff", I am building a excel spreadsheet, with all my sorted payware hyperlinked/colour coded/sim coded to the master storage drive....one click and I've got it. I know that this is going to pay off down the road.

I have now got an external drive that is exclusively for backing up downloads and other things I don't want to loose ,  I have said it before " how can you not own something that you have purchased "  I suppose the answer is `When its in the small print` . 

Archived