Almost to Alaska and home…

Jack Sawyer

P3D 3.2, AS16 & ASCA, Orbx Global, N/A LC, and more Orbx.

Sorry for so many…really, sorry.  I got carried away. :unsure:

CEU9 > CFP6 > CYQH > BD7  For most of this ferry flight I have not seen one building in Canada where I'm flying, if it's like that in real life it must be very pretty and desolate.

wRP5nxg.jpg

um5Ih2v.jpg

KxG8rBJ.jpg

cXX910Y.jpg

eMYCi3Q.jpg

ad3IFHc.jpg

Hp8bG15.jpg

vadGeWe.jpg

QKbCJy8.jpg

zCiFZB2.jpg

nrlRo2o.jpg

yd2sbm4.jpg

2B7ckHG.jpg

0nVd7JV.jpg

JmK6V36.jpg

RTBFMEw.jpg

13xK3rK.jpg

ofnIxXl.jpg

Threading a needle with the GTN.  Perfect for this.

r7EGrwF.jpg

ckEwABG.jpg

E2mAxoO.jpg

rJSSqgg.jpg

dt0jxoh.jpg

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

34 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Great set of screenshots!

Voyager

iPhone - Tapatalk

1 minute ago, RJ said:

Super nice huuuge set! :)

Thanks fellas, sorry for so large but that ferry flight took me from the middle of the Ukraine to PAJN, all above Orbx stuff.  It was over 5000 miles and very scenic.  I just got carried away with myself the last flight.  

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful set to look at Jack.

It is almost impossible to keep the finger off the v key when flying over such beautiful scenery.

LOL!  Don't you know it.  Without Orbx stuff I wouldn't even waste my time in flight simulation.

1 minute ago, JS07 said:

LOL!  Don't you know it.  Without Orbx stuff I wouldn't even waste my time in flight simulation.

Talk about a game changer. I can still remember coming across FTX AU for the first time (2008?)  thinking just how incredible the scenery appeared. Only had FS9:( then but a few weeks later my wife brought me FSX at an air show and the rest is history:D

I am currently flying around Vancouver Island and I just cannot believe how incredible the scenery and weather is.

16 hours ago, JS07 said:

For most of this ferry flight I have not seen one building in Canada where I'm flying, if it's like that in real life it must be very pretty and desolate.

What a convenience for your CPU ;)

Liked the 5th shot and ski resort best.

Greetings,

Bermuda

1 hour ago, Bermuda425 said:

What a convenience for your CPU ;)

Liked the 5th shot and ski resort best.

Greetings,

Bermuda

:)  Yeah, my CPU was taking a break I guess.  Thanks Bermuda, I wouldn't mind living in some part of that wilderness, that's real beauty.  And I was amazed to see that ski resort, I should set it to winter and see if it's covered in snow…

50 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Only worry might be download speeds from online stores to get the new scenery and planes :rolleyes: And where to get the electricity... But with the correct preparation it's possible. And meanwhile you can go fishing or kayaking... :smile:

I saw a guy with a fast moving river on his property rig up washing machine motors to be used as generators, he had enough power to heat and cool his house and heat his ovens for glass blowing, off the grid, he even sold back to the grid.  Get a satellite dish, fishing and hunting and grow some crops but that part of Canada might not have any houses because it might be government land.  So there's that.  

I've done a lot of Orbx flying and they're usually spot on, Nick proves that with Google satellite pics so I suppose where I was flying in Orbx's LC it must have been correct.  I was flying two thrids of the way up from the border of the US almost straight east to west and it was beautiful desolation.  Look at the first shot with what looks like old volcanos with water in them.  Stunning.  I have never seen that above Orbx scenery before.  I can't WAIT for the new land class.  It just keeps getting better all the time Bermuda, I gotta buy some Orbx stock.  :)

Ahh Jack. Brilliant living in the nature...

openLC includes small bits of railyard and tiny villages so it's the best public aerial sim you can get I think. But if someone like you built his house there it might not be depicted in the sim. But you wouldn't find that house between all the vegetation anyway, so yeah, it's the best we have here. ORBX stock :lol: is a thriving business.

Funny we're talking about scenery accuracy and the volcanos you captured are actually a mesh complication resulting from FTX Vector:o  The issue looks quite handsome in your shot, so I haven't realized it until now:

The solution would be to install a mesh software that sets all the terrain to its real elevation. I'd recommend FS Global Ultimate or second choice FS Global 2010 FTX Edition. The normal costs are at about 80 - 100 bucks, but you might find a sale on the web, e.g. here (pay attention to shipping costs):

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=12229&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=flight simulation&s_language=english

The only other solution would be to disable Vector. In case you don't know about what mesh does, here's a text I posted some months ago:

FTX Global was designed by developers using FS Global 2010 FTX Edition, so it's recommended by ORBX. But as FS Global Ultimate provides the latest and most accurate terrain/ mesh data, I chose this one for my sim. It has the most recent data from 2013 and higher detail than Global 2010, which however can be seen only at some places and when flying clsoe to the ground.

FS Global Ultimate Bundle (not 2010) takes 101 GB, when you install all three packages. But you may buy only one or two packs depending on where you plan to fly most of your time. For example, if your flights are limited to the Americas then FS Global Ultimate Americas is actually the best there is. A division on two drives is possible in order to save space, e.g. install FSX/ P3D on C:. and FS Global on D:. My three packages are installed on E:, a 495 GB HDD, while P3D runs on F:, a 120 GB SSD.

Ultimate uses the latest available data from 2013 with the highest available resolution. That's why it's so much larger with its 121 GB than Global 2010 with only 25GB.

I bought Ultimate Bundle in winter 2014, because I wanted to see the most accurate elevation details wherever I'm flying. Many people say, they notice no difference between Ultimate and 2010, But that is, because when flying thousand meters above the ground it's hard to spot terrain details of 1 - 19 meters.

They make a huge difference concerning terrain so you'll see mountains, hills and valleys as they appear in reality. Additionally, openLC adds textures which make up the surface we see, like forests, deserts or fields. It doesn't depend on Mesh products like FS Global. Nonetheless, using all components (Mesh + FTX Global, Vector and openLC) delivers the most precise data available for flight simulation. Moreover, FTX Vector has been designed to place airports at their correct real world elevations. Therefore, without a suitable mesh addon pack you're going to get issues for many airports in mountainous areas. Additionally, Vector sets water levels to their correct real world elevation, hence even flat landscapes may show some annomalies around water bodies when the surrounding default terrain elevation is very different from the real elevation.

Regions and airports themselves aren't affected by FS Global, because sceneries like KEKA come with their own precise mesh. However, the surrounding mountains outside of KEKA's coverage will look exactly as they appear in reality. But since the mountains in that area are quite round, it maybe difficult to see differences between default mesh and Global mesh when flying on high altitudes.

Some FTX Global freeware sceneries like LIDA Asiago depend on a mesh software for a correct rendition, while others don't need it but will look more realistic in surrounding areas.

I think that PILOT'S invested years of research and work on providing the most precise terrain data for flight simulation while using performance efficiently, like using less detail in flat areas where you wouldn't notice higher detail.

There is an increase in loading time when I start up P3D and when loading a new flight. It takes 2 minutes to start the sim and 1 - 2 minutes to load a flight. Without FS Global Ultimate both lasted only seconds. Nonetheless, performance and framerates aren't affected by the amount of data once the sim is running.

Please ask when you need additional tips. I hope I didn't give you too bad headaches! :blink:

I see, mesh, yes.  I was never too clear on mesh but with that large of a file I don't really want to take up more of my SSD.  Even if I use just a small area.  I'd have no more room for more Orbx stuff, now I'm getting greedy for it!  LOL!   And having load times that long would be annoying but it might be worth it.  I'd like to see some before and after videos of the same area, any area to see what it's like.  So here I was all this time thinking things were pretty much correct and they weren't.  Oh well, I'll give it a look anyway.

Thanks Bermuda.

Archived