KBOI Boise ID and many other NW airport Elevation issues Since Migration

WWA1935

I have LOTS of airports that were fine prior to FTX Central2 migration that now have elevation issues (terraced or sunken mostly terraced or look like all the runways taxiways are built on levees)  KBOI Boise Idaho is one of them and I am using it as a reference because it doesn't require a grid coordinate when I set up on any of the active runways you can see the problem easily.

I have my scenery layered correctly and have reinstalled vector, CRM and the most current libraries and it still persists.  The only way to make it go away is to

de-activate the FTX NA CRM entries in my scenery library.  Clearly something is not working correctly, got any ideas?

KDEW Deer Park WA. just North of Spokane is another airport with the same issue for me that is outside of the CRM region  Seems to be all interrelated since updating to the new FTX Central (not needing to activate regions) migration.

Please help if you can or at least let me know I'm not alone if others have or are experiencing similar issues. 

I'm running P3dv3.2 on Windows 7 64

Thanks,

Robert

Yes, of course it was one of the first things I tried and it had no effect.  KBOI and KDEW are not in the list for manual correction in the AEC tool either (These are only two airports there are many others I'd say 50-60% of airports in FTX NA regions. 

I'm getting a bit frustrated as my experience early on was difficult to get Orbx to play nice with others; (GEX UTX etc.) lately I'm finding it difficult for Orbx products to stay integrated with themselves.

Hi Robert,

those appear to be the correct files in the correct location meaning something else must be going on. Please check that you scenery library menu is ordered as in the screenhots below, and also that the four main Vector entries are in the exact order as in that link too:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/108487-tongass-x-and-ftx/?do=findComment&comment=975652

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

guess we can rule out Vector then. The thing is that it's really not rocket science: all that needs to happen is that the elevation adjustment file matches the main airport facilities file (ADE_FTX_...), plus that there's no local exclude active at higher display priority.

I can't tell from the list you posted, since the path isn't displayed fully: is ADE_FTX_CRM_KBOI_elevation_adjustment.BGL in the \Scenery\World\Scenery folder of your P3D installation, meaning in ...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Scenery\World\scenery ? And the same for the file ADE_FTX_NRM_KDEW_elevation_adjustment.BGL ? I just want to make sure that the components are in the correct locations.

Also, do you have any other entries above the Orbx/FTX block in your scenery library menu? If yes, does it make a difference if you temporarily deactivate them?

Cheers, Holger

I'm seeing this phenomenon also post-migration, thus far in Socal region.   These airports appeared fine prior to migration and am now encountering the same elevation issues described by the OP.   Fortunately, in my case the Vector migration tool appears to fix the problem for the 3 airports I've thus far encountered, KPSP, KSMX and KVBG. 

I'm not certain that I completely understand the interaction between Vector and the vector info already contained in the full regions.   Is Vector not excluded from showing its stuff in the self contained Regions?   I'm not clear on how running the vector tool, in my case successfully, should have any impact at all in the regions.

FSX, DX9, Vector, Global, na/eu landclasses and all N.Amercican regions.

The Vector AEC tool corrects airport elevations, no matter where it is, inside a Region or not.  Nothing else.  It does not affect the other functions of Vector (drawing rivers, roads, shorelines, etc.) nor its (non) intereaction with the Regions' own vector data.  This is how I understand the situation anyway.

Thanks Stewart.  While the explanation remains elusive as to why elevation for these particular airports were fine before migration but now require the tool, at least the tool works in my case.  I hope the OP encounters a solution for his situation.

58 minutes ago, fuzz1 said:

Thanks Stewart.  While the explanation remains elusive as to why elevation for these particular airports were fine before migration but now require the tool, at least the tool works in my case.  I hope the OP encounters a solution for his situation.

I'm sure it was not a migration problem.  I do know that if you make manual elevation corrections to any airports, then run the automatic AEC tool, all your manual changes are negated and you have to make your manual changes again.  Each time I add a new airport, 3rd party or Orbx, I check to see if I need to make a manual change.  If I do, then I make the change, usually "disable".  If not, I leave it alone.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I'm sure it was not a migration problem.  I do know that if you make manual elevation corrections to any airports, then run the automatic AEC tool, all your manual changes are negated and you have to make your manual changes again.  Each time I add a new airport, 3rd party or Orbx, I check to see if I need to make a manual change.  If I do, then I make the change, usually "disable".  If not, I leave it alone.

I'm less certain.   I originally ran the automatic AEC tool only once, well prior to migration, and the airports in question did not require AEC correction.  I've subsequently corrected several other airports in other areas but have never rerun the automatic AEC since the initial run. Again, this is no big deal for me as the AEC tool works fine for these (stock) airports.  I've only decided to share this observation as another possible clue to the developers in connection with migration problems.

14 minutes ago, fuzz1 said:

I'm less certain.   I originally ran the automatic AEC tool only once, well prior to migration, and the airports in question did not require AEC correction.  I've subsequently corrected several other airports in other areas but have never rerun the automatic AEC since the initial run. Again, this is no big deal for me as the AEC tool works fine for these (stock) airports.  I've only decided to share this observation as another possible clue to the developers in connection with migration problems.

The problems with the new lclookup cannot have anything to do with airport elevations, imo.  The former set of problems has to do with correct selection of land class textures.  Obviously, airport elevation corrections aren't in the same category.  But we'll all know for sure when solution, whatever it is, is released.  At present, I've only noticed land class problems in New Zealand and certain areas of Australia.  Nothing in North America or in Europe.  Lucky, I guess.

22 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

guess we can rule out Vector then. The thing is that it's really not rocket science: all that needs to happen is that the elevation adjustment file matches the main airport facilities file (ADE_FTX_...), plus that there's no local exclude active at higher display priority.

I can't tell from the list you posted, since the path isn't displayed fully: is ADE_FTX_CRM_KBOI_elevation_adjustment.BGL in the \Scenery\World\Scenery folder of your P3D installation, meaning in ...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Scenery\World\scenery ? And the same for the file ADE_FTX_NRM_KDEW_elevation_adjustment.BGL ? I just want to make sure that the components are in the correct locations.

Also, do you have any other entries above the Orbx/FTX block in your scenery library menu? If yes, does it make a difference if you temporarily deactivate them?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Yes, both files are in the proper folder  \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Scenery\World\scenery

I had already tried deactivating all other scenery to no avail it was one of the first things I tried.  The only way to get the elevation issue to go away at KBOI is to deselect the FTX CRM entries.

Ralf, Stewart and Fuzz1,

Thanks for jumping in and trying to help...Perhaps the elevation issues are not related to the migration, I simply noticed immediately after migration and would like to get it sorted.  I don't seem to be suffering from the texture corruptions others are experiencing post migration so go figure?

Here is something interesting S45 Stilez bay I believe comes with it's own mesh? and is above FSglobal2010, Vector, and all FTX NA regions in my scenery library but, I still see issues like this notice the runway texture changes from default to FTX behind where I am parked which I believe is also an elevation issue?

S45%20RWY.png

The Hangars

S45%20a.png

On 6/28/2016 at 8:17 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

The thing is that it's really not rocket science

Well then, I guess it's a good thing I'm not an astronaut, Is there anything else to consider before I dump everything and start the 3-5 day re-installation process?

Hi Robert,

I don't actually have any other ideas as everything I've had you check seems exactly as it's supposed to be. Still, it appears that it's consistently the airports with an elevation adjustment file in Scenery\World\scenery (KBOI, KDEW, S45, etc.) that don't display correctly for you. The Scenery\World\scenery folder can't even be deactivated -- it's the "Default Terrain" entry at the bottom of your scenery library menu -- so the only explanation that remains is that something else excludes or overwrites the flatten files for these airports (terrain mesh doesn't come into play because it's flatten files that govern the terrain at these airports). 

It's possible that a clean-sweep re-installation will fix the problem for you but it seems a lot of work for something that's probably quite simple to fix. Perhaps you can upload a copy of your active scenery.cfg -- "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3" -- so I can have a closer look at what add-ons you have installed.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Your probably right it's a lot of work so if you can take a look and see if have any obvious errors ( I have a lot of add-ons, not all installed) maybe I simply missed something?  That said, I did unchecked/deactivate all payware in my scenery library to see if there was a conflict, I could only get the elevation issue at Boise to go away by deactivating CRM I did not check all the other airports.

The only thing I can think of and I doubt it's the cause is that Simstarter NG was giving me some issues with it's use Orbx regions setting prior to migration.  It doesn't modify files but it does re-arrange your scenery allowing you to activate/deactivate scenery set's  you'll see some spacers/insertion points in my .cfg.  I updated it to it's latest version that was released after Orbx migration and have subsequently uninstalled it.  Don't know if your familiar with it.

At any rate, have a look and I appreciate you taking the time to try to get me sorted...

Nick: Topic edited to remove the 277 entry scenery config entries.

Added as an attachment instead.

My scenery.cfg

I have no idea whether this is a  problem or not but....

Looking at your Windows file Explorer screen shot, on the face of it your seem to have two copies of

ADE_FTX_CRM_KBOI_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Unfortunately, your shot does not show the paths to the files.

Can you check again and see if there are in fact two copies and if so, where they are.

Thanks.

KBOIBGLSearch.jpg

Hi there,

Nick, all of the Region's airport elevation adjustment files have inactive duplicates in the \OFF subfolder, e.g., \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF. They only exist in case the active copies in the \Scenery\World\scenery folder get deleted or altered by mistake.

Robert, other users have reported compatibility issues with MyTrafficX files so you may want to uncheck that entry for a quick test; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/109948-remember-this-if-you-use-mytraffic-6/

For your T2G KSEA add-on I assume you're using the updates provided by T2G that makes it compatible with PNW?

Other than that I'm not seeing any obvious issues in terms of entries or their order.

Cheers, Holger

I was already aware of the My Traffic issue since I have a lot of payware.  Normally, I only set its scenery settings to off on my dedicated payware airports and leave them alone on default without much issue.  I set the MT6 Boise.bgl to off for testing but it didn't do anything and I really didn't expect it to make any difference to elevation/mesh but I checked anyway.  T2G is updated.

Let me ask if you have seen any similar issues (in numbers) post migration or is what I am seeing seem to be limited to me and my machine?  If the latter I might do a full blown OS swap to Win10, Update P3D to latest version, and start the reinstall process; not a task anyone would relish butperhaps necessary.

Hi Robert,

I don't see how the migration process can be involved in this issue. As discussed the files relevant to the airport elevations are (for CRM) in the \FTX_NA_CRM05_SCENERY\scenery and \Scenery\World\scenery folders, respectively. In contrast, the files that are replaced by the migration process are landclass files (=ground textures plus autogen) located exclusively in the FTX_NA_CRM06_CVX and FTX_NA_CRM08_CUSTOM folders, and landclass files have no influence on airport elevations. Moreover, S45 and the other North American payware/freeware airport add-ons don't get any files "migrated" at all.

You could wait until the upcoming diagnostic tool and updates to the migration files come online to see whether those provide any further information or perhaps a fix. The team working on that are aware that there's that issue with the misnamed FTX_NA_CRM06_CVX package in the current migration file set but, again, those files don't alter airport elevations.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: and just to confirm: unchecking the My Traffic entry, instead of just renaming individual files in that folder, didn't make any difference either?

Archived