Client file?

tuisong

I know this question will show my complete ignorance, but, when talking about downloads, what exactly is the client file? I just down load and install a programme.

Would someone be so kind as to shine a light on this for me.

Thanks

I assume you mean the P3D 3.3 update.  It is found on your download page at P3D. 

There are downloads for separate components at P3D, not just the full install.  On your download page- grab just the client.

+ Individual Component Downloads (click to expand)

You delete the old client first ( Windows Control Panel-Programs& Features) then just double click on the dowloaded new client to install.

On 09/06/2016 at 0:54 AM, TheGreenToad said:

Hmm, in what context did you hear about a client file? Can you give an example?

Sorry, my question was not clear at all. Please see the quote below. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

I assume you mean the P3D 3.3 update.  It is found on your download page at P3D. 

There are downloads for separate components at P3D, not just the full install.  On your download page- grab just the client.

+ Individual Component Downloads (click to expand)

You delete the old client first ( Windows Control Panel-Programs& Features) then just double click on the dowloaded new client to install.

Hi, yes you are right. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by the 'client'. Does the method you describe save a full install of P3D v3.3? I plan a fresh install of everything so I guess I just un-install P3D and start again. However, I would like to know what the 'client' means in this context, as I have seen it mentioned quite a few times and wondered what it was. 

Thanks

Hello Roger,

If you plan for a fresh install of P3D and assuming you have downloaded the complete package from Lockheed Martin, then simply run the "Setup.exe" from your P3D download. This will install all P3D components (Client, Content and Scenery).

P3D installation comes in 3 different components for providing an easy way of updating a specific component of an existing installation of P3D. So when someone refers to "Client", they mean the "Install_Client.msi" file for P3D. Sometimes, a new version of P3D may only make changes to the "Client" component and not the others. When that is the case, we can update (remove previous client and install new client component) instead of re-installing the whole thing.

My guess is that the "Client" contains the main P3D software, the "Content" probably the vehicles, etc.. and the "Scenery", well ... the scenery files.

You could refer to these links to help understand how to uninstall P3D and  / or reinstall or upgrade hot fixes in P3D.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/480898-how-do-i-uninstall-prepar3d-v3/#entry3348670

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484945-how-do-i-update-prepar3d-v3-using-the-new-installers/

Orbx moderators - I hope I haven't broken any rules by posting the above links. Happy for this post to be deleted if I have.

Regards,

Mario

13 hours ago, tuisong said:

However, I would like to know what the 'client' means in this context, as I have seen it mentioned quite a few times and wondered what it was.

The word "client" that LM uses in this context is probably not the best choice. Traditionally "client" (in IT) refers to a client-server computer/network/application model, so when there is a P3D client one would expect a P3D server, too (btw, if you want to know more about this client-server concept you can look it up in Wikipedia under "Client–server model").

If I would have to name the three components that Prepar3D consists of I would have chosen something like this:
1. "Prepar3D Application" or "Prepar3D Main" for what is called client (since this is the actual code that is being executed)
2. "Prepar3D Vehicles" for what they call content (since scenery could also be considered "content")
3. "Prepar3D Scenery" as it already is, because this is obvious what it means

I hope this answers your questions. If not, just ask :)

(for tuisong),

TheGreenToad explained it well.  But after working in IT for 35+ years, I still sometimes make the mistake of assuming that when I'm talking to a "regular" computer user, the terminology used in my "career field" will make sense to them.  Sometimes, you have to make an analogy of what the terms mean in a way the non-IT computer user can understand. So....

A while back, LM made changes to P3D so it was more "modular".  They divided P3D into separate "parts" (modules).  This was done so there would be more flexibility in updating PART of P3D without having to re-install the entire program (and forcing the user to have to re-install a ton of addons they may have already installed too...but that is a side-benefit for us users).  As TheGreenToad said above, the "client" part now is just another way of saying the "engine" that runs all of P3D.  In software development and IT (Information Technology), the "client" is the "main" part of an entire program that runs EVERYTHING ELSE available for you to use with or in the program (it does more than just that, but that explanation works for this discussion).

An analogy you could make using a car would be...

Your car's engine is the "client" part of your car.  Without the engine to make the car run, your car isn't going anywhere.  But your engine doesn't care what color the car is, nor what type of seats you have in the car, etc. If the engine manufacturer wanted to make a change or upgrade to your car's engine...or wanted to replace the ENTIRE engine to something better...you shouldn't have to "get a whole new car" to do it.  You should be able to replace the engine ("client") all by itself, without having to "re-install" the seats ("addons" in the car) inside it, nor having to repaint (re-install the "scenery" of the car) while doing it.

LM has made P3D that way now.  LM can upgrade the "engine" of P3D by just replacing the "client" (the "client" is the "engine").  That "engine upgrade" is the "client" you download and install, without having to mess around re-installing all your scenery, airplanes, "addons", etc as part of any "engine" upgrade to P3D.  You don't need to change anything about the airplanes, vehicles, etc (or "addons" you may have installed) or the "scenery" (texture files, etc) of P3D anymore to do an "engine" upgrade.  You can download and upgrade JUST the engine now...the "client".  The new "client" then runs ALL the REST of P3D you already have installed, whether that "all the rest" is default vehicles, scenery, etc...or "addons" you have installed yourself.  The "client" engine upgrade alone should not mess up any other parts of P3D (in an ideal world anyhow...LM can't guarantee that someone may have "modified" their own P3D installation in a way that might make that "client" upgrade cause problems).

Hope that helps for the non-IT or non-techy folks who get lost when us techy guys start tossing our words around.  :D

Obviously you've never earned a degree in teaching.  Very rarely does ONE explanation of a topic work for a room full of people.  Most effective answers describe the topic in several different ways.  Some people will get the answer by one explanation, while others will get the answer by it being presented a different way.

Just because it was a simple question doesn't mean there is only ONE way to answer it so everybody would understand the answer.

YOU may have found my answer "confusing", but YOU aren't the only one who will read it.  YOUR answer isn't any "One True Answer" for everybody, any more than mine is/was.

Respectfully submitted.  Just in case you were confused about WHY I made my post.

Archived