Disappearing AI at the gates

The FSX AI settings are irrevant for UT2. However, UT2 has in-game settings (the maximum numer of planes, the display radius etc.). Maybe you hit a limit there. I have mine pretty low to keep performance acceptable.

Kind regards, Michael

Use Air Traffic Manager Stew.  You can set the ai sliders to 100% and set both air and boat traffic limits in the manager.

Now I haven't noticed the problem you experienced at the gates of disappearing airliners but I suppose it could still happen.  Typically when I start flight in the San Francisco Bay Area ATM shows over 1,000 al flights in the vicinity.  I set to limit to 50.  I suppose that if an airliner tries to start as the 51st flight it might disappear.

Noel

Thanks, Noel and Michael.  I've selected the default in-game settings and toned down the weekly/daily schedules in UT2 and while I'm getting less airliners at the gates, they aren't disappearing after a few minutes!  So I think I'm on the right track.  I'll keep working on it and see what happens, but for now the AI airliners seem to be stable.  Of course, don't know yet about the GA AI, since they don't try to park at the gates anyway.  Will see how it goes on my next flight in the TBM850--from Portland, ME to Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Beautiful country up that way this time of year, btw.

8 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Just curious what might be the cause of AI airliners disappearing at the gate(s)?  Using UT2, weekly traffic density 70%, daily traffic density 40%.  What should AI settings be in FSX, or do they matter?

Ok, since no one has given you the correct answer yet here it is.

In the UT2 UI there is a setting for it to try to maintain a set FPS. If the FPS falls below the number you specify then it will start removing AI to help you maintain your target FPS number.

No other setting in UT2 will cause the AI to simply just vanish except this one.

In the case of the traffic density or amount of AI to spawn, those setting will not make the AI disappear, rather they will prevent the AI from spawning in the first place.

Of course the AI will disappear when holding short of a runway or taxiway after 5 minutes or so if they can't move, but that doesn't happen when the AI are parked at the gates.

The reason your AI are now not disappearing is because you turned down the amount and UT2 isn't having to delete the extra AI to meet the minimum FPS you set in the UI.

So disable that setting and crank the AI to the level you want and it won't disappear anylonger.

15 minutes ago, GordonGekko said:

Ok, since no one has given you the correct answer yet here it is.

In the UT2 UI there is a setting for it to try to maintain a set FPS. 

But this is among the in-game settings I mentioned, right...:mellow:

Kind regards, Michael

What I am using is called Air Traffic Manager and is a freeware program that works through FUIPC.

Air Traffic Manager

This neat little tool limits the number of AI aircraft seen around the user and is thus perfect for flying into very busy airports without having to manipulate the AI slider. Depending on target aircraft count, you can gain a lot of FPS at places like JFK.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451383-...er-for-fsxp3d/

I disagree that it will be the in game setting of FPS in UT2.

I believe it to be the following in UT2.

Say that a player has display AI traffic at 50%.

An AI plane lands that has its display at 25%, and it taxis to the gate.

Its next leg has a display of 75%. It will disappear at the gate.

If all you parking gates are full and a plane lands it will disappear. If a plane has to wait more than 5 minutes in a queue it will also disappear. If UT2 settings for AI reach the maximum level you have set then anything beyond that level will cause planes to disappear. Remember tha some of the FTX airports also have static planes which occupy parking spaces and will cause additional AI traffic destined to occupy those gates to disappear.

Sorry, petfy and jjaycee1.  You have misunderstood the original problem.  The AI aircraft are *already* at the gate, then they disappear after a few minutes.  Also, petfy, the AI traffic settings in FSX have no influence over AI in the game if the user is using UT2 for his AI "scheduler".  I turned off the fps limiter in UT2 last night and watched the AI traffic at Toronto and none of it disappeared.  In fact, 4 jetliners taxied out for departure, the same jetliners that had disappeared previously, and the other AI around my Gate 101, which had also disappeared after a few minutes, sat undisturbed in their parking places.  So I have to think Gordon's explanation above is correct.

12 hours ago, petfy said:

I disagree that it will be the in game setting of FPS in UT2.

I believe it to be the following in UT2.

Say that a player has display AI traffic at 50%.

An AI plane lands that has its display at 25%, and it taxis to the gate.

Its next leg has a display of 75%. It will disappear at the gate.

You can disagree but your assessment is not correct.

My explanation is the only correct answer for the trouble the OP was having.

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

So I have to think Gordon's explanation above is correct.

It is Stewart, as confirmed by your test.

Before when you had the target FPS set in UT2 it was simply removing AI to help you meet the FPS you specified in the settings.

A nice idea but kind of weird when AI start appearing and disappearing suddenly.

I personally don't use that function and just set the weekly at 70% and daily at 10% for airliner flying and he reverse for GA flying.

Your welcome and glad you got it sorted.

29 minutes ago, GordonGekko said:

I personally don't use that function and just set the weekly at 70% and daily at 10% for airliner flying and he reverse for GA flying.

I'll be interested in trying these settings.  I do not fly airliners, but your suggestion for GA flying I'll be interested in trying.  Thanks again for your tip about the fps setting.  I would never have linked it to the disappearing AI.

Archived