Orbx downloads.

Dadtom65

Hi all. When ever I download an Orbx product, after i have installed, it I all ways copy it over to a folder called Flt sim to save it, but is this really worth it. Is there a better way to keep a record of what you have. Derek. 

I keep all my downloads on an external drive.

I have folders for each vendor and then files for each product containing the download and serial numbers.

I also have a spread sheet listing all the downloads as a cross reference.

So for example today I brought KCGX Megis Field which is entry 213 on the spread sheet.

In the external drive under Flight Sim Store file #213 contains KCGX.

Very handy when the inevitable re install occurs.

I long ago migrated from a spin drive to SSDs now for everything but storage.  So I use the old spin drive for storing many items (such as photos, music files, etc), AND for keeping the most current copies of all Sim-releated downloads/installs.  As ORBX is releasing the new quad installers for all the titles I've accumulated over the years, I replace the older versions in this library with the new re-release.  That certainly does come in very handy for that day down the road when you know that, for one reason or another, a reinstall will be necessary.

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I keep all my downloads on an external drive.

I have folders for each vendor and then files for each product containing the download and serial numbers.

I also have a spread sheet listing all the downloads as a cross reference.

So for example today I brought KCGX Megis Field which is entry 213 on the spread sheet.

In the external drive under Flight Sim Store file #213 contains KCGX.

Very handy when the inevitable re install occurs.

Ditto!

Exactly the same thing...its too valuable to not take care of the data.

And, not only this, I have a cloned HD which contains a complete backup of the data.  I learned the hard way many years ago when a drive failed and the data was not recoverable.

My data drives are 4 Terabytes each, plenty of room for everything.

Further with Orbx, I have a new PC build and am reinstalling FSX from Scratch and building a new P3Dv3 version.  Its helpful to have all the data hyperlinked to a spreadsheet to find the data and to complete the install.

If a person has ever had "store" go out of business, then one might assume that some day there might not be a flightsim store and the downloads will be  useless.  Not saying that its not all great right now, I just pulled down all the quad installers that I needed and everything is working great.  But, I have been around long enough that it has happened to me, so I always keep a backup.  The disk image approach is a great idea.

If you're storing stuff on an external drive, there's still the risk of that drive itself failing.

A safer option is to use a NAS (Network Attached Storage), which is basically a box of drives that you can configure with redundancy (RAID). For example, a box with 4 HDDs  may have 1-HDD redundancy, i.e. it can hold 3 HDDs' worth of data spread over the 4 drives.  If a drive fails your data is still preserved on the 3 remaining ones, though you'd need to replace the faulty drive ASAP.

There are all sorts of models and sizes in the marketplace, from basic home 2-drive units up to professional boxes that can contain a dozen or more.

Because it connects via network cable, typically to your router/modem, you could also use it as a media centre for a network-enabled TV, or for sharing data between different PCs & devices.

Archived