Global Vector without mesh?

molleh

Hey everyone, I've been considering purchasing Global Vector to get ready for OpenLC NA/Mexico. However, I've heard that if it's not used exclusively with the FSGlobal FTX mesh product, there are all kinds of elevation issues with airports. My question is, is it possible to use Vector without mesh and retain the default airport elevations to avoid those issues? I know mesh adds a lot especially outside of the US & Europe, but I want to keep both costs and hard drive size down at the moment. Plus I normally only fly in the US & Canada anyway.

Thanks!

molleh,

I am using a freeware mesh with Vector and haven't come across many issues after running Vector's AEC tool.

IMHO, the improvements that Vector brings are worth a few elevation issues, which can be corrected.

I know you said mesh cost and size are an issue, but you can get free mesh by region.  

I'm using mesh that covers Canada and Mexico in LOD 10 (38m) and takes 5.9GB.  Default USA mesh is already LOD 10, so nothing changes.   

Canada is improved from its default LOD 9 (76m) and Mexico is improved from default LOD (not sure what default is, but the improvement around Mexico City was very noticeable).  

If you ever start flying more outside of NA, I highly recommend picking up at least a freeware mesh.  

In regions like Central & South America or Africa, where the default LOD is low, the improvement to LOD 10 is significant.

Thank you guys. I purchased Vector along with OpenLC Alaska/Canada, then installed FreeMeshX NA. I see some elevation issues but nothing drastic yet. The overall difference is really remarkable. I can't wait for OpenLC NA to come out next.

I purchased Vector a few weeks ago.  I'm finding elevation problems with about a third of my flights.  Then for that third, after the flight, I go into ftx central and move the offending airport left to right and, after checking, the problem is solved.  This is AFTER using the auto configuration AND pressing apply.  I've been flying in the US and Canada lately with LOD 12.  My experience is that the auto config does NOT work very well.  Going forward I'm being forced to check every airport before every flight to avoid elevation problems.  

I just did an experiment.  In tonight's flight the departure airport was in a ditch.  After the flight I moved the airport to the right and that solved the problem.  Now, here's the experiment part.  I ran the auto config and pressed apply.  That airport was back on the left.  Proof that the auto config does not work very well.  It's been like that for about a third of my flights with Vector.  Checking every airport before every flight will be a royal pain in the ... but I'll need to do it to avoid elevation problems during the flight.  It's better than not having the tool at all I guess.

Vector has been designed so that airports sit at their correct real world elevations. Therefore, without a suitable mesh addon pack that provides better mesh resolution you're going to get issues for many airports. That's just the way the product has been made.

17 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

I'm using the FTX mesh product, and still have elevation issues with Vector. Just run the auto configurator under Vector's AEC tab after installing.

What is the FTX Mesh product called? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Howard

17 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said: I'm using the FTX mesh product, and still have elevation issues with Vector. Just run the auto configurator under Vector's AEC tab after installing.

What is the FTX Mesh product called? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Howard

FreeMeshX is totally free and should work just fine!

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Here is the link at avsim for free mesh. Read all the way through. It is a bit complicated, but worth the effort. Also, be sure to use a download manager because these files are quite large. Installation, btw, is simple.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/

And, here is the installation guide

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/fmx-installation/

Sherm

5 hours ago, John Venema said:

Vector has been designed so that airports sit at their correct real world elevations. Therefore, without a suitable mesh addon pack that provides better mesh resolution you're going to get issues for many airports. That's just the way the product has been made.

Thank you for explaining how Vector works.  I thought Vector analyzed and compared each airport with the current mesh and then fixed as needed to match the airport with the mesh.  As stated above, since purchasing Vector, I've been flying a lot in Canada and the US where I have LOD 12 mesh.  I don't believe better mesh is available in those areas.  Yet about a third of my flights have had elevation problems.

I've also been doing some flying in northeast South America where I have freemesh which is LOD 10.  I have had no elevation problems there and in fact Vector fixed a 20 foot ditch after the auto config. 

So it's all very confusing.  Using a better mesh that should, in theory based on how Vector works, reduce elevation problems is not as good as using a poorer mesh.  Of course this is a very small sample size but still....  I also use LOD 11 in Europe and elsewhere.  Maybe, to avoid elevation problems, I should just use freemesh which I already have worldwide.  In FS9 which I used for several years, I ditched everything above LOD 9 to avoid elevation problems.  Looks like, even with Vector, that kind of thing is needed with FSX as well except it will be LOD 10.  I don't know.  I really thought Vector would simply solve elevation problems but instead it just changed them.

The AEC part of Vector is designed to amend the elevations of airports that do not

fit with Pilot's mesh products.

As John says, the airports that require correction are corrected by AEC and the rest

were deemed not to require correction.

This is why many do not appear in the list.

Even then, because FSX and P3D can only display flat airports, of which there are

very few in the world, cliffs that do not exist in real life can often still appear.

As to flying in South America, a flight into many of the smaller airports in Colombia

will reveal that once you add some correct mesh, some of them are hundreds of feet

from the mesh elevation.

The only way to avoid elevation problems around airports is not to add any enhanced

mesh but I think it is generally agreed that the overall simulator experience is much

improved when the terrain most accurately reflect the real world.

2 hours ago, molleh said:

LOD 12 is higher resolution than LOD 10.

Just my opinion, but higher resolution doesn't always make things better.

At some point, depending on the topography, the terrain looks pretty realistic and additional resolution really isn't noticeable, except in the increase in disk space required.

Also, as Nick mentioned, many of the airport elevation issues that people get with a new mesh are due to the default airport elevations being wrong.  The problem isn't new mesh with LOD 10 vs LOD 12, it is that either new mesh will have the real elevation for the terrain or airport, while the default mesh is often wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived