Scenery.cfg file error

What is the usual cause of this error:

"Scenery.cfg file error, Local scenery directory (AddonScenery\Scenery) in scenery area.xxx not found"

and how might it be remedied?  After installing some 3rd party airports, FSX is posting this error for no less than 18 scenery areas in the scenery.cfg.  I have checked that the area numbers correspond with the layer numbers, but this doesn't seem to be the source of the errors.  FSX continues to load after I "ok" the error messages.  Also, refreshing the scenery doesn't help either, for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Stew, the scenery.cfg resides in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

If you go down the list to the number at fault say 179

Then you will see something like

[Area.179]

Title=FTX_AA_KPSP

Local=ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KPSP

Layer=179

Active=True

Required=False

Usually when you get the pop-up it will be missing the "Local" instruction line

You can see from the good ones below and above the faulty one the local is the instruction where to find the scenery.

Just add a correct "Local= instruction line

That should fix it.

Regards

Ken

29 minutes ago, Ken Terry said:

Stew, the scenery.cfg resides in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

If you go down the list to the number at fault say 179

Then you will see something like

[Area.179]

Title=FTX_AA_KPSP

Local=ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KPSP

Layer=179

Active=True

Required=False

Usually when you get the pop-up it will be missing the "Local" instruction line

You can see from the good ones below and above the faulty one the local is the instruction where to find the scenery.

Just add a correct "Local= instruction line

That should fix it.

Regards

Ken

Thanks, Ken.  But evidently the Addon Scenery folder works a little differently.  The scenery.cfg error concerns that folder specifically.  The other entries I have already deleted and will reinstall the airports I have deleted.  But not until this specific error with Addon Scenery is fixed.  Notice the error message I quoted above.  The Addon Scenery folder in the FSX folder is the one that's causing the trouble.  And adding Local=F:\Flight Simulator X didn't solve the problem.  So I'm stuck for now.

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Stewart,

The most common cause is that the folder has been moved or deleted.

A less common cause is the path to the scenery has been wrongly entered

and does not point to where the files are.

Yes, that's what I decided what happened with the several airports which I had to delete.  But what about the Addon Scenery folder?  Why does FSX not know where it is?  And how do I tell it that it really does exist?  I hope this doesn't turn into a FSX reinstall.

7 hours ago, cabnz said:

I had a similar problem. What I did was in the flight simulator add the scenery again in the scenery library.

My Scenery Library has the Addon Scenery folder already listed.  FSX doesn't know where it is at start-up for some reason.

Hello, folks.  And thank you much for all your suggestions.  Nick's suggestion was actually close to the mark.  It wasn't a problem with the AddonScenery folder itself, but that the Scenery subfolder within the AddonScenery folder was absent.  I guess some gremlin deleted the thing by mistake.  It's always the "gremlin's" fault, isn't it?, I'm embarrassed to say! :banghead:

Anyway, now to re-install those airports I deleted yesterday...  :D

Archived