*Last Flight* United Airlines Boeing 727-100 [N7001U] landing in BFI

Bermuda425

The Roswell airport is a junk yard for cycled out airliners.  We have lots of them parked here minus the engines.  In fact there is a company at the airport that scraps them out.  Instruments, seats, anything that can be reconditioned and sold.  The rest just sits out there.  They closed the third runway a few years ago to make room for more.

I went to the salvager with a friend from the Roswell Little Theater,  He was looking for seats.  But they were too expensive for their budget.  They had shelves and shelves full of instruments and even toilet seats.

While we were there the manager of the place took us to B747 that had been gutted out.  We had to enter by way of a ladder in the nose wheel well.  If you think the plane looks big form the outside you should see it from the inside after all the paneling and seats and overhead racks have been removed.  Almost like entering Carlsbad Caverns.

Noel

My logbook shows about 700 hours as First Officer and 600 hours as Flight Engineer in 727's for Eastern Air Lines, mostly -100's but some -200's. My first, and favorite, big iron! She was a real pleasure to fly with "soft" wings and landing gear, lots of flap selection and good power manipulation with the three engines. The early -200's always felt a little under powered - one Captain stuck a foam head of Miss Piggy on the center fire handle as a reminder but, man, could he grease them on. An era has passed, as they always do, but the fond memories will be around for a long, long time.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 3:46 PM, birdguy said:

There's something you don't see much of anymore...smoke trails from the engines.

Totally agreed with you Noel. Later I saw this video. Though take off thrust is not to be compared to landing, it still gave me to think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwuxxmH40vI

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 10:11 PM, birdguy said:

The Roswell airport is a junk yard for cycled out airliners.  We have lots of them parked here minus the engines.  In fact there is a company at the airport that scraps them out.  Instruments, seats, anything that can be reconditioned and sold.  The rest just sits out there.  They closed the third runway a few years ago to make room for more.

I went to the salvager with a friend from the Roswell Little Theater,  He was looking for seats.  But they were too expensive for their budget.  They had shelves and shelves full of instruments and even toilet seats.

While we were there the manager of the place took us to B747 that had been gutted out.  We had to enter by way of a ladder in the nose wheel well.  If you think the plane looks big form the outside you should see it from the inside after all the paneling and seats and overhead racks have been removed.  Almost like entering Carlsbad Caverns.

Noel

Grandiose and exciting Story! This is definetely an unsurpassed experience I yet haven't been able to enjoy.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 6:57 PM, ytzpilot said:

Noisy and a dirty ole Chooch....The 727 was like the Steam Locomotive of the Skies, a true work horse.

Sure a real oldtimer. Thanks for looking! Trains come right after planes on my like list.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 7:35 PM, VH-KDK said:

Great video of a rather sombre occasion.

Agree with your ambiguous comment Martyn.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 7:58 PM, Bruce Hamilton said:

At least she returned home to BFI, and not mothballed in the mojave.

Very much true Bruce.Gives the locals back what Boeing does to the area.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 8:10 PM, Mike62 said:

Here is a link from the Museum of Flight about this 727.

https://www.museumofflight.org/content/museums-historic-boeing-727-prototype-makes-final-flight

Mike

Great! Will have an in-depth look on the article later today.

On ‎04‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 10:39 PM, FlexFlier said:

My logbook shows about 700 hours as First Officer and 600 hours as Flight Engineer in 727's for Eastern Air Lines, mostly -100's but some -200's. My first, and favorite, big iron! She was a real pleasure to fly with "soft" wings and landing gear, lots of flap selection and good power manipulation with the three engines. The early -200's always felt a little under powered - one Captain stuck a foam head of Miss Piggy on the center fire handle as a reminder but, man, could he grease them on. An era has passed, as they always do, but the fond memories will be around for a long, long time.

Awesome story from the flight deck Michael. In the video I posted in Blue1/SAS Farewell Boeing 717 the pilots also adored the smooth and easymanual controls of this plane.

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 7:28 AM, RJ said:

Fantastic video! I hadn't had the chance to watch this video yet! :)

Never to late RJ. I also watched it again yesterday.

Greetings,

Bermuda

Archived