TrackIR5

Bandit

I see that NaturalPoint have released the TrackIR 5 with improved specs over the previous TrackIR 4 (For a comparison see here).

Has anyone upgraded and is able to report on the improvements?

haven't upgraded the unit (would like too ...  ;)) but I am using the TR5 software ... makes a big difference to my simming life ...

Look forward to see how the complete unit performs!

Dug

Yes, I've had TrackIR 5 about 2 weeks now.

I bought because my old TrackIR 3 was on it's way out, but I have to say it is really worth upgrading in my opinion - TrackIR 5 is awesome.  Smoother, much wider head movement - it's like TrackIR 3 or 4 on steroids!

You MUST buy the Trackclip Pro with it though (active LEDs) - to buy TrackIR 5 and still use the hat clip negates some of the new features and performance.

:)

Ditto.  Nice unit.  Nothing wrong with a TrackIR4 if you're on a budget though.  I have both, and naturally I'm sticking with the TrackIR5, but for normal VFR flying with no major light sources disrupting the tracking, the difference is not great.  But over the TrackIR3, a big jump.

No difference if you're buying the Pro deluxe kit or whatever it is called.  If you buy the basic kit you only get the hat clip which is a reflective item, not active LEDs like the Track Clip Pro.  So, if you're going to spend the money, get the more expensive option, because you'll want to upgrade to the Track Clip Pro anyway.

I saved $60 odd dollars getting mine from the US but the software had to be downloaded, not a big issue.  Best price in Australia can be found via Google.  If the current best offer had been around I would have bought locally as the difference is now only $30.00.

Cheers

I am thinking of trying the 5.04 beta drivers with IR4, did you unplug the trackIR before installing like from new or can you just install the software as is?

I here the software make the verion 4 smoother?

I Had the PRO clip but never got it working, set it up in opions etc but was juming all over the place with the clip, so used the cap and works perfect!

Dave.

You can install the version 5 software as well as the version 4 software and pick and chose which one you want to use.  Occasionally my USB 2.0 drops back to 1.0 (go figure) and the version 4 works better when the USB is playing up, but mostly the version 5 software is much better.

You don't need to unplug the TrackIR to install software, just make sure the software isn't running.

If the LED Track Clip Pro jumps around it's almost certainly because you haven't selected the Track Clip Pro in the edit profile.  Also the three LEDs muist be vertical with the longer arm at the bottom.  You are doing yourself a dis-service if you don't use it.

If the LED Track Clip Pro jumps around it's almost certainly because you haven't selected the Track Clip Pro in the edit profile.  Also the three LEDs muist be vertical with the longer arm at the bottom.  You are doing yourself a dis-service if you don't use it.

Sadly It was selected in the edit profile. It would jump around a bit then the view would lock as if my head was back as far it would go. nvm :)

I will give the new software a try and try it again thanks for reply.

Dave.

WoW what a great piece of new soft ware.

My Pro clip worked and I changed some setting.

If your try to make a circular head movement you can see the dead zones.

If you move the center dot off the bottom in both pitch and yaw the dead zone is gone. Much better imo.

Everything is perfect with smoothness set to 100% apart from when you look down, i want to glance down but the pitch  down is to slow, set to pitch and turn of mirror and be aggressive with the first two dots, not the center one and da da....great glances down and no "lock sticky" dead spots.

The movement i get with the Pro clip is far greater than the cap clip and not having to have the cap on in the house is a big bonus also :)

Very happy :) :)

It is in my house... BUT I am not allowed to use it until my birthday dammit !!! LMAO

4 more weeks of TrackIR 4 :(

Jay you can install the TiR 5 software and get 90% of the benefit using current TiR4 hardware ;)

Just don't tell the missus, LOL!

As a general tip regarding the TrackIR5...

It is important that the IR camera on top of your monitor is positioned right in front of you, or vice versa ( you are positioned directly in front of it. If it is out to one side the tracking does not work as well.

Equally important is the tilt of the IR camera. Make sure it is tilting toward the trackclip/trackclip pro at an accurate angle. Both these factors can help a lot in improving accuracy and usability of the TrackIR5.

Of course, you can also directly centre the device by using the F10 key (off memory).

Archived