I have returned....

Old Archie

Well, it has been a long while, a lot longer than I had hoped, but for those old codgers still hanging around these parts, it is with great pleasure that I say hello to you all once again! For those in the know, I literally disappeared from the FS world a few years back (and have not played with FSX since then), but have now completed my life changing endeavour (you may now call me Dr. Archie by the way...) and was looking to get back into the sky. I have taken a huge leap of faith (when I discovered that my FSX install no longer worked on my sparkly new Windows 10) and purchased Prepar3d v3.1 and basically started again (a huge undertaking I am discovering). So anywho, I am looking for ideas on what essentials I need to bring my sim-flying days back to the fore, essential add-ons etc etc. To save you some keystrokes, I have already re-downloaded my ORBX stuff, and managed to get my Manfred C47 and Uiver DC2 working just fine, and even bought a shiny new Carenado 406 to boot! Well,, I'll save more for later, all I will say is that it sure is good to be back in the saddle again.

Archie (Dr.)

hey Archie

Welcome back then. You open a looong thread here  ;). I couldn't do without these ones which are the core of my v3.1 right now

- a good mesh, Pilot's Global 2010 or Ultimate (the one I own) are good choices

- A weather engine, ASN from HiFi makes the consensus as a being excellent. It knows how to use the P3D volumetric fog/clouds in a way that will make your jaws drop.

-  some good aircraft : A2A Piper Comanche or Cessna 182 in the GA department are outstanding ; An oldie still worth to have installed is the Sibwings heavy biplane  An-2 ; in the jet dept, if you had the Lotus L-39 you can install in V3, wonderful aircraft ; Zooming out without a jet stuck on your behind is the priviledge of people having the RealAIr Piper Turbine Duke.

- Situational awareness  : the Garmin GTN 750 GPS from Flight1 is something that came to the market during your absence and is a great tool to plan and monitor your flight.

Welcome Dr Archie, you have chosen a great time to make a come back.

Dominique appears to have covered the essential weather and mesh.

Scenery? FTX AU of course along with Cairns, Broome and Jandakot which have just become P3D compatible in the last hour.

Shall look forwards to see some of your screen shots in the near future.

Welcome home Dr. Dale.

It appears that every man and his dog is telling you what to download. Scenery wise with ORBX only download the files that are P3D V3 compatible. That means all the regions have been converted to Quad Installers and the airports are slowly being released. Four Australian airports have been updated: YBRM, YBCS, YMMB and YPJT. All the other airports are being released at the rate of about 3 per week.

Also if you want your memory refreshed as to what Flight simming was when you started out I suggest you get Meigs then compare what you see today to the old wire frame scenery of the early FS.

Archived