PNG : a headup of sort

dominique

I share my flying, these days, between the SCA and PNG sceneries . The latter is specially interesting to fly. Kind of. The heat and humidity make the density altitude sometimes about 2k feet higher than the indicated  altitude (the Garmin 750 tells me that). The Skylane that I fly, climbs like a slug which can be a problem when you want to evade a cliff but also the approach and landing speeds need to be higher than usual. The dirt strips, on the other hand, are not any longer or flater ;) . In a nutshell a ton of fun.

The dirt strips and their villages are small jewels in the hills, Martyn. Tim and Ken did a remarkable job (variety and placement of vegetattion, reallism of the huts on piles). Landing and taking off is quite demanding, specially these days as I said, but quite rewarding too . The ultimate bush flying. You will love moving the avatar, once landed safely.

I still think that PNG is one of ORBX's greatest achievements. Don't get me wrong--the other packages are wonderful--but PNG provides such deep rewards if you spend time exploring it. And those mountain/valley strips never become routine. They are always a challenge. Dominique, I join you in the PNG fan club!

As an ex-PNG trained PPL with 18 years PNG experience pre-1975 I can tell you that Tim, Ken and the Team have made their jewel as real as it gets.

Combine that with real world weather and you have an always changing and challenging environment for small to medium GA aircraft.

Don't forget all the nice country wide airport upgrades they have given us as well.

Yes Teecee, Trevor Shearston painted some vivid pictures in the book or pre-Independence TPNG.

Some great aviation books from that era were written by a colleague of mine James Sinclair, "Sepik Pilot"; The "Balus" series and many others about TPNG life.

For what James and I did for a living you could read his book "Kiap" or J.K. McCarthy's "Patrol Into Yesterday" amongst others.

Pity you missed Moresby, a door to a fascinating land.

But the NT wasn't too bad either ;)

8 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Combine that with real world weather and you have an always changing and challenging environment for small to medium GA aircraft.

That was really my point.  Using ASN real weather, the last time I flew these strips, few months back, the weather was different, cooler, and the challenge to land in one piece and take off was different than it is these days. Need to be a lot more careful about weight and speed, it seems to me. This OrbX package is fun but also teaches you a lot about good airmanship. But having a PPL in PNG, you know that better than me . Few stories to tell ? 

I really look forward to Tim and Ken's PNG 2 "the sequel"  ;) in any case.

EDIT speaking about stories, a couple of nice ones in this humongous thread http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/152566-png-ples-bilong-tok-tok-207.html

Dominique mate - everyone who flew or flies in any capacity in PNG - pilot/pax/hostie - has stories to tell :D

Your point about weather is exactly right - throw in a struggling aircraft envelope if you're loaded to gunnels as you should be, some dodgy strips as the Orbx/FTX fellows have given us and your have the ultimate white knuckle experince, not to mention the "poofle" valve :lol:

Good link there to pprune where I've been a member for many years in the engineering side - you'll also find there a lot of references to Jim Sinclair and here's a link to his large catalog of mainly PNG books from one of the numerous PNG associations of which I'm a member : http://www.pngaa.net/Assets/SinclairBooks.pdf

I'll stop stealing your thread now I promise ;)

2 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

Dominique mate - everyone who flew or flies in any capacity in PNG - pilot/pax/hostie - has stories to tell :D

Your point about weather is exactly right - throw in a struggling aircraft envelope if you're loaded to gunnels as you should be, some dodgy strips as the Orbx/FTX fellows have given us and your have the ultimate white knuckle experince, not to mention the "poofle" valve :lol:

Good link there to pprune where I've been a member for many years in the engineering side - you'll also find there a lot of references to Jim Sinclair and here's a link to his large catalog of mainly PNG books from one of the numerous PNG associations of which I'm a member : http://www.pngaa.net/Assets/SinclairBooks.pdf

I'll stop stealing your thread now I promise ;)

It sure aint "my" thread, I don't claim property over it :lol: ! Any story or hint about flying in PNG is welcome, here or at my site... Thanks for the link.

Archived