NZSI - Air crashes into invisible objects

Perk

This was a problem in P3Dv2 and it's still a problem in P3Dv3 (complete clean reinstall).  Airplane randomly crashes into invisible objects in the sky.  Particularly bad on approaches into Queenstown RW5 over the lake.

I know there were several threads about this back on the v2 support forum, and someone mentioned it may be related to wildlife.  Not sure if there are birds or something (Fowlflow <tm>) in the FSX version that P3D can't render maybe?  In any event, I'd really appreciate it if someone could re-open the investigation as it pretty much renders VFR flying around NZSI an exercise in frustration - especially with A2A aircraft that break if you crash them.

As I am sure you will have read, the solution offered is to switch off crash detection.

That advice is still valid and it is not likely that there will be another solution any time soon.

My experience of A2A aircraft is that they continue to break if you crash them even with

the setting off and in a far more realistic way than FSX or P3D can offer.

As a frequent NZSI "flyer", I've seen this problem flagged many a time. I'm afraid you'll have to turn your "realism" meter back one notch and disable crash detection.

The general view seems to be that it's almost impossible to find these offending objects (whatever/wherever they are). As far as I remember, most "advanced" aircraft (including A2A) still model some sort of *ground* damage, so a bad landing will still break stuff. I don't find disabling crash-detection too much of a problem.

Adam.

Spot on, Nick - you beat me to it LOL.

I also submitted this problem more than once. I had it in P3Dv2 and still have in P3Dv3.

Disable crash detection is not a solution. It's only a workaround to continue to use the scenery until this  bug will be solved, if ever will be.

Continue after months to suggest to reduce the realism, instead than work to identify and fix the bug, is an unacceptable reply, not in the style of ORBX support.

It is a bug that exists in P3Dv2 & 3 only, so the issue is very hard to diagnose. There are no objects, animated birds etc that cause these crashes at these locations. We suspect it may be landclass tile thing, but that's a wild guess and its something that we think LM need to check as it something that cropped in P3Dv2.

Our official stance is to disable crash detection - its been our stance since we started developing anyway. 

8 hours ago, colang said:

Continue after months to suggest to reduce the realism, instead than work to identify and fix the bug, is an unacceptable reply, not in the style of ORBX support.

Personally, I don't see it as a huge reduction in realism. There are many more things in the sim that are far less realistic than pseudo-crash detection (daft flight models being the worst culprit). As said earlier, you still get damage in many of the more complex aircraft if you hit stuff.

I can't really compare other FTX areas as I don't know them that well in RL, but ORBX pulled out the stops on NZNI/NZSI. I've heard somewhere that there are more hand-placed objects per tile in those two areas than many other areas ... so I'm not surprised the odd glitch got through (particularly if the problem is compounded by possible bugs in P3D).

I'd rather live without crash detection than have less realistic looking scenery overall. I'm not entirely un-critical of ORBX areas, but I've always thought NZ has been done superbly. I think the "extra" effort that was put into these two areas has made a huge difference to the "look and feel" of the whole of NZ. I can't help being biassed, but I love it!

I know realism and detail aren't mutually exclusive, but every product will have a limited development budget and a theoretical limit to how many hours can go into it. As a web developer in RL I know only too well how many hours (many of which are "behind the scenes") can get thrown at a project. In that sense, I'd say ORBX add-ons are great value. I can think of quite a few *aircraft* add-ons that cost four times as much. Regardless of which aircraft I fly, I'll always be in an one ORBX area or another (I only have ORBX scenery) so on a cost-per-minute basis, my sceneries come cheap!!

Adam.

Archived