OOM epidemic

cyberpilot

On 12/24/2015 at 9:11 AM, RHaas said:

The only time I ever got OOM is was due to the aircraft I was flying. For some reason the caranado c210 will give me OOM after about 2 hours and I own several other caranado HD aircraft but they do not cause me OOM. From what I understand there is not much that can be done about OOM.

Is Prepar3D 64bit? I'm considering switching over to that the next time I rebuild PC. I am still weighing the pros's and Cons for FSX VS Prepar3D

I have both FSX and P3DV3.1 up and running.  Why, because I am always tweaking one or the other.   I keep FSX as a sure thing to do multiplay with FSINN with a couple of buddies.  Even on a new home built system FSX can give you fits if you want it all.  Or better put if you think you can run it hard on details.

As for the differences?  I run FSX without water effects, detailed shading, detailed clouds, and at 2048 graphics.  As opposed to P3D which I run very aggressive for super details, effects and the most shading I can get.  Day and night difference between the two on the same W7 machine with 1st Gen hardware components. 

I fly A2A aircraft with VFR flights usually, but I do like my top production Twins.  I am also into modern glass cockpits.  P3D is where it is at.

I agree with EGE, decided to make the jump to P3D v 3.1 and have to say I'm very impressed and happy.

Been flying for about a week now and haven't had any issues.  Did a transatlantic flight, leaving the sim running

all night and woke up in the morning in time for landing.   Get good frame rates, rare when they

go below 30 fps. with most sliders maxed out.  I have PMDG aircraft, REX, MyTraffic 6 and most of ORBX products.

Really love the volumetric clouds and shadows, just takes it to another level.
Granted that I just did a system build with a i7 6700 K, o/c to 4.5, and GTX 680TI graphics cad. 

I have loved FSX, been flying since version 1.  I still have the DOS version and even a Mac version, no kidding.

Right now though, I'm really enjoying P3D and looks like it will be my main sim.

Last night I did a flight from Yuma (KNYL) to San Diego (KSAN).  Performance was good most of the way but I watched FPS slowly start to fall as I got closer to KSAN.  By the time I arrived overhead the ground textures in the area were really blurry and a lot of the autogen was missing.  In P3Dv2 this is usually a sign that an OOM crash is coming. I did a few touch and goes at KSAN and by my third approach everything had recovered.  The textures in the area were back to normal and sharp and the autogen had recovered.  All of this was in P3Dv3, Orbx NA SCA, CS C-130, ASN, FSXFlight, TrackIR.  P3Dv3 is delivering on its promises of better memory management for me.

I found the following article quite helpful in understanding the cause of OOM's. With an appreciation that the fundamental cause of OOM's is related to how the operating system allocates memory to a 32 bit application, one can then make an individual decision as to how you wish to run your individual application.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

Best regards & best wishes for 2016!

Renault

On 1/3/2016 at 7:24 PM, renault said:

I found the following article quite helpful in understanding the cause of OOM's. With an appreciation that the fundamental cause of OOM's is related to how the operating system allocates memory to a 32 bit application, one can then make an individual decision as to how you wish to run your individual application.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

Best regards & best wishes for 2016!

Renault

Thanks for sharing Renault

Best wishes in return

So, after reading that GREAT article, It look like we don't have much choice and the following is the one to play with:

Autogen, water, weather
The usual culprits for lowered performance in FSX also are the main drivers of VAS usage. Lowering them can significantly reduce the VAS load if you’ve exhausted the other possibilities.

If I want to fly an airliner (L1011 HD) near San Diego as an example, I have to lower my sliders and make sure ASN is in manual mode with no low altitude bad weather???

Ben

1 hour ago, Benny said:

If I want to fly an airliner (L1011 HD) near San Diego as an example, I have to lower my sliders and make sure ASN is in manual mode with no low altitude bad weather???

Ben

It's just my experience, and so I can't speak to how universal it is, but I've found that ASN is okay unless you change the defaults. There are some things you can do in ASN that can cause big problems if you overdo it, but I have not found it to be a huge performance (or VAS) killer if you use it conservatively. That said, I fly almost exclusively the A2A 172 and 182, not complete lightweight add ons, but not high end airliners either, so I could just be flying under the wire because of that.

I also limit REX4 cloud textures to 512. I do notice it a bit, but not so much that it annoys me. I do have the ground textures turned all the way up though, as I do get irked by those. It's all about what compromises work for you.

Archived