New P3Dv3 install and Orbx

mac22

I have just installed P3Dv3 on a new computer and want try installing my orbx add ons (ones that function in v3 at least) so have a couple of questions

1)What is the best order to install these scenery in - list of add ons below (also assume I need to install libs at some point?)

2)Also I see that there are several updates for some of these products - am downloading from flight sim store - so does this mean I will need to install some of the updates after installing the download - or should the latest version be in the store?

Orbx - FTX: NZ South Island

Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR  
Orbx - FTX: Trees HD  
Orbx - FTX: PI NSTU Pago Pago International Airport  
Orbx - FTX: Global openLC North Ame  

Orbx FTX Global Base

Orbx - FTX: EU Norway  
Orbx - FTX: NA KMRY Monterey Regional Airport  
Orbx - FTX: NA Gold USA Northern California  

sniper thanks for the answer - also is it best to install each part then check if there are any updates available for it ? not sure how the updates for these works is there an auto update feature or would I have to download and apply updates individually? - as mentioned above I have downloaded from flight sim store

Hi Mac

As confirmed by one of the  OrbX dev very recently, the order of installation is of no importance.

Your P3D V3 installers contain every update needed. You don't need anything else. But do not forget to install the OrbXlibs at the end  !

I'm doing the v3 install right now like you  ;) !

2 hours ago, Alex Goff said:

I am preparing our new install guide that will be online shortly, just getting it checked over to be sure it includes all necessary content.

I just happened onto this post. Not sure if it'll be in the guide, but I've been wondering about side by side installs. With so many addons not working in P3Dv3 yet, I've held off on using it. However, I've considered using it for stuff that works with it, and keeping 2.5 for everything that is yet to work.

Will FTX central manage both installs ? Will there be a separate FTX central for each one ? I figure if I'm wondering about these things, others might be as well. Perhaps something to include in the guide.

Thanks for your time :D

I'll probably write a separate FAQ on that, so as to keep size down on the "master" install guide.

In short though, there is no issue with multiple simulators. FTX Central will identify each and upon startup present a list of installed simulators so you can set options for each simulator individually.

On 12/10/2015 at 2:44 PM, mac22 said:

I have just installed P3Dv3 on a new computer and want try installing my orbx add ons (ones that function in v3 at least) so have a couple of questions

1)What is the best order to install these scenery in - list of add ons below (also assume I need to install libs at some point?)

2)Also I see that there are several updates for some of these products - am downloading from flight sim store - so does this mean I will need to install some of the updates after installing the download - or should the latest version be in the store?

Orbx - FTX: NZ South Island

Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR  
Orbx - FTX: Trees HD  
Orbx - FTX: PI NSTU Pago Pago International Airport  
Orbx - FTX: Global openLC North Ame  

Orbx FTX Global Base

Orbx - FTX: EU Norway  
Orbx - FTX: NA KMRY Monterey Regional Airport  
Orbx - FTX: NA Gold USA Northern California  

Looking at your list, you may want to check this page for products that currently have native installers to P3Dv3.   KMRY is the only one not on the page so you'll have plenty to explore while Jarrard is getting KMRY ready for P3Dv3.

https://fullterrain.com/sim/P3Dv3

thanks everyone for the comments  - seem to have got everything working ok - but have a couple more questions

1)For FTX central 2 - which has installed- how does it work - note I can select "global - hybrid" as the active or the individual regions - whats this doing exactly - if for example I am flying PNW area should I select global hybrid or North America - which will give the best visuals?

2)I have northern California and the fps was very good up to flying over San Francisco then I got a large drop - does anyone have any suggested settings

that could help increase the fps - note I am using a fairly high end PC - 6700 (oc'd to 4.6 and 980ti cardx2)

3)Seems the FTX Global is prompting me to update from 1.3 to 1.35 - do I have to download and install this manually from the website - then would I need to install the libs again?

4)Final question! - I have x2 980ti cards - is there any advantage in running this in SLI?

On 12/14/2015 at 6:34 PM, mac22 said:

thanks everyone for the comments  - seem to have got everything working ok - but have a couple more questions

1)For FTX central 2 - which has installed- how does it work - note I can select "global - hybrid" as the active or the individual regions - whats this doing exactly - if for example I am flying PNW area should I select global hybrid or North America - which will give the best visuals?

2)I have northern California and the fps was very good up to flying over San Francisco then I got a large drop - does anyone have any suggested settings

that could help increase the fps - note I am using a fairly high end PC - 6700 (oc'd to 4.6 and 980ti cardx2)

3)Seems the FTX Global is prompting me to update from 1.3 to 1.35 - do I have to download and install this manually from the website - then would I need to install the libs again?

4)Final question! - I have x2 980ti cards - is there any advantage in running this in SLI?

1) Selecting a region, for example PNW, will enable the orbx scenery for just that region as I understand. For best visuals, it is best to use the one region in ftx central. The purpose of hybrid mode is if you are going between two orbx sceneries, for example PNW and Northern Rocky Mountains. It will "enable" both of those regions at the same time, but the orbx scenery for them will not be 100% scenery for that region. It will be mixed with global scenery.

2) Don't really know since I don't own NorCal at the moment.

3) If it's ftx global base you want, which is version 1.40 at the moment, you'll need to download the new version via flightsimstore from your orders. If it's vector 1.35 you need, then get the patch from the support page here.

4) The last time I tested SLI it wasn't much different from just using one card. That was way back in prepar3d v2, so there could be an advantage depending on the drivers that you're using and the optimizations from version to version.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

sniper and kilstorm thanks for the answers - now think I have everything setup and running - only issue I am having is that occasionally

have a strange occurrence where the airport I select appears surrounded by high scenery  (almost like a wall) so because the runway and taxiway's are sunken means you cant  fly out the airport - so far have had this issue with Seattle airport and Lukla (Tibet) - assuming there is some kind of fix for this issue? - also notice Kilstorm mentions an airport elevation fix that needs to be applied (no idea what this is )? and there appears to be a certain order for all my scenery to be placed in the scenery library above of below the LC modules (note have already installed Vector/Global/x2 LC packages as well as my other add ons).

thanks Nick will re-read the manuals but the reason I am asking some of these questions is I have been unable to find answers to them in the manuals:

1)For the issues with the two airports (Seattle Tacoma and Lukla) - the airports are appearing sunken into a canyon of terrain so are currently unflyable - note they were ok in the vanilla P3Dv3 so assuming the issue is somehow caused by the installation of some Orbx products - have been unable to find any reference to how to solve this in the manuals so any help to solve this is appreciated!

2)Also Kilstorm made reference to doing "the airport elevation thing" after installing vector - I have no idea what the elevation thing is and can't find any reference to it in the manual for vector? so a little help would be appreciated.

3)Finally in the manual for vector it suggests some configuration tool should have been installed to my desktop - but have been unable to find it -  only have an icon for FTX centralv2 on the desktop.

Hi Mac 22

Answering the three points that you emphasized here.

First, before launching a doubt, you should pass the eye by "pinned matters" in the FTX Vector support forum, there you would find explanations of the AEC tool, like this:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/75538-airport-elevation-fixes-and-using-aec-read-this-first/

Going straight to the point, if you installed Vector version 1.30 downloaded from FSS, and updated it with upadate/patch version 1.35 from Orbx support page, then mate, by deduction I think you have forgotten to run the auto-configuration function in the Vector AEC tool, as KSEA would be disabled (in the right-hand colunm of AEC tool).

If that is the case, please follow this procedure to the airport issues are resolved. See how:

***Please pay attention to the arrow at the end of the procedure: follow instructions inside it.

14-10-2015AECRunAutoConfiguration.jpg

Cheers,
Voyager

Voyager your precisely right in your deduction and thanks for the excellent guide to fixing it (have now run the auto tool) - have checked and it has solved the Seattle problem but there appears still to be an issue with the Lukla airport appearing in a huge canyon! - will see if I can solve manually by adding the airport to the right column and applying......

Archived