Water Anomalies

Pete S.

I just started reinstalling ORBX Software into my brand newly built PC with FSX-SE.

I noticed that all of a sudden I had Trees in all of the "Bodies of Water", lakes, ponds etc.... This happens in all of the water bodies that I checked in  NA, not just in one specific region.

I have so far only installed :

FSX-SE

ORBX FTX Global 130
ORBX FTX Global Vectors130
ORBX FTX Open LC NA, Alaska, Canada 100
ORBX NA PNW with updates 5 & 8

Latest FTXORBX Lib. 151001

I stopped installing scenery after I discovered these anomalies , I think my last install was PNW so I stopped all installation until I can resolve the problem.

Any Idea what can be causing that and how to fix it? If needed, I'll try to upload a picture of the problem as soon as I figure out how to do that.

The reason for my re-installing the software was because I noticed this same problem after my first install, and I thought that something got corrupted , so I decided to reformat and do a fresh install of Windows 7 64 and FSX-SE. I decided to check as I went along with installing software into my FSX , the problem re appeared after PNW install.

Pete S.

Hi Pete

Open FTX Central and apply the Global region with Hybrid, then check your scenery library order....I think the OpenLC entries get put in the wrong place by default and need to be moved manually

Your scenery library order should look like this...

As per page #38 of the FTX Definitive Guide...

Scenery Libary Order

3rd Party Scenery (Any scenery you wish to display above Orbx FTX scenery)

OZX Scenery (Freeware designed to fit with FTX Regional software)

FTX Full Regional Scenery & Airports

Tongass Fjords (Fills the gap between Southern Alaska and Pacific Fjords Regions)

FTX OpenLC Scenery

Named Default Scenery Entries

FSGlobal 2010 Entries

FTX Global Vector Entries (OBJ, APT, CVX, EXX)

Numbered Default Scenery Entries

FTX Global Vector Entry (AEC)

"Default Scenery"

"Default Terrainâ€

Then make sure your mesh resolution is set at 5m.

Then Run the Auto AEC tool in Vector .

Here is how to post a screenshot:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Doug

Thank you Doug, for your very concise and informative suggestions.

I changed to the Hybrid mode, and still have the same exact problem.

My library order looks correct, I have no other scenery installed except for the latest "FS Traffic".

I figured it had to be the FTX Open LC that's causing the problem, but even if I disable it in the Scenery Library the problem persists.

Will just removing the Open LC files from ORBX folder in FSX,  uninstall the OPEN LC addon or is there a cleaner way to do it?

Unfortunately when the frustration sets in, my brain stops working.    :wacko:

I'll have to calm down, have an "Adult Beverage" (but it's only 6:00 AM here!) and start reading all of the literature I always ignore. (There must be a reason why it's there! ::) )

If you think of anything else I can check, please let me know!  I'll upload the screen shot as soon as my brain starts working again.

Thanks again,

Pete S.

Hi Pete and Doug,

That's sounds like Pete forgot to adjust the "Insertion Point", will be? (see page#13 from Orbx FTX Global openLC Europe Version 1.20 User Guide – September 2015).

If it was, Pete see how to make this adjustment in the figure below. It is essential to maintain the order of layers, otherwise you'll see trees on patios and ponds, etc.

FSXInsertionPointAdjustment.jpg

Cheers,

Voyager

However, there is no new content in Global version 1.40 and no need to download it

unless for P3D v3.

Instead, if you wish, go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt.

Open it with Notepad and paste the text below over what is there.

FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.40 September 2015

Actually I do have v 140. I installed it with FTX Central 2, I just forgot that I did it.

Getting back to my original problem, I tried all of the suggestions given to me, Library insertion point, moving the layer order around manually, disabling ORBX etc... but the problem still persists. I figured since I only started installing the scenery files , I'll just remove my FSX-SE again, format the drive and reinstall it. I will make a clean backup before I start reinstalling everything. This problem is driving me nuts and I wasted enough trying to fix it, my next step will be trying to avoid getting it in the first place, and it case it appears I'll have a clean backup rather than trying to fix the problem again.

I have never had such a problem with my old FSX install, everything worked and looked as it should, even after adding UTX, GEX and tons of sceneries and  airports. I have no idea why this keeps surfacing  but, I'm making it my life's mission to fix it ^-^ !

I'll let you guys know, if I ever figure it out, what the problem was!

I noticed that all of a sudden I had Trees in all of the "Bodies of Water", lakes, ponds etc.... This happens in all of the water bodies that I checked in  NA, not just in one specific region.

Hey Pete,

Not sure if anyone mentioned the frozen water issue associated with Vector, but it may be worth taking a look at:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/102816-trees-in-water-question/

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I did not see that and was not aware of it. The photo looks just like what I was experiencing, except some of my ponds even have houses etc... in them.

Unfortunately I already wiped out my FSX-SE, cleaned all of the registry entries of anything pertaining to ORBX and anything FSX.

I am going to reformat the drive and do a complete fresh install of Steam and FSX-SE. If after installing the FTX programs I see the problem appearing again, I will for sure try the frozen water trick.

Thanks,

Pete

Now that I have, again,  a brand new clean install of FSX-SE, can anyone suggest an order in which I should install all my ORBX FTX: Global, Vector, Open LC and NA sceneries, so I can keep a correct layer order without having to move them around too much.

I will also be installing My Traffic 6, and a variety of Airport sceneries.

Hopefully this will be the last time I do this! 

Hi Pete

All Orbx scenery will automatically install in the proper layer sequence except OpenLC...It does not matter what order you install the other Orbx products, but you will still need to manually configure OpenLC...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81831-setting-your-openlc-entries/

Okay, thanks Doug.

Guess I'll stay busy reading all of the included PDF's and installing the FTX and the rest of the programs.

Thank you all for the help, there is nothing like the this ORBX community, and the FS community in general when help is needed.

Thanks again.

Pete, you are not alone in this issue.  I just installed PNW with the V3.0 Prepar3D installers, and I have forest and trees in all bodies of water.  I do not have any other ORBX products installed, with the exception of the very lastest ORBX libraries for V3.0.  All products seemed to install fine and show up in FSX Central 2.   To futher elaborate, the it appears to be strictly a landclass issue.  The forest, including green ground textures, with autogen trees appear where it should be water, e.g. the Pugent Sound.

Anyone else with an idea? 

Yes, I'm still having the same problem: "Trees and buildings in water".

I did another clean install of the FTX Global products and kept checking after each program was installed:

It was all working correctly after FTX Global, FTX Global Vectors but got screwed up again after the NA PNW was installed.

I was doing the checking in Oklahoma City Area so the PNW should not have affected this area, but it did.

I next installed Global Open LC NA Alaska/Canada and the problem still exists!  I'm sure it's OLC that's causing the problems, but can't figure out why!.

I am tired of reinstalling FSX-SE, so I will continue to try and figure out why this is happening! There is lots of reading to do in the included PDF's, so I guess I'll stay busy and read them. 

I'm sure there is a solution, but it has eluded me so far!

I finally found the culprit,   the terrain.cfg file was corrupted!

I ran across this post by Holger Sandmann, and followed his instructions:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79004-resolving-rapid-ground-texture-morphing/

After replacing the terrain.cfg file with the backed up one the problem went away!

Everything is back to normal, looking as it should. I knew I'd find the answer eventually!  ^-^ 

Now I have to figure out why the terrain.cfg file kept getting corrupted?

Archived