A question regarding Mesh removal to reclaim HDD space.

Jon Clarke

I have PILOTS Global Ultimate installed and it occupies 120GB space on my P3D only SSD.

Many sceneries (ORBX, VFR UK(over 1.5GB) etc) come with mesh included in the product, and some of the Mesh inclusions are very large GB. My question is this: since P3D will choose the higher level of Mesh installed when setting a flight, is it really necessary to have the scenery mesh also installed.

Would not the mesh detail be taken from Ultimate versus the integrated Scenery specific mesh?

I understand for example that the ORBX mesh in e.g. PNW may be 10m and Ultimate for that area may be 5m so P3D will use the Ultimate mesh as it is a higher detail. Distortion may occur but would be removed by setting a PNW flight mesh detail in P3D "Settings" to 10m. 

Can I therefore delete any and all Scenery integrated Mesh from P3D, freeing up many GB of space on my dedicated SSD? 

I can see no logical reason why I couldn't but seek advice in case my "logic" is in fact incorrect.

Can I therefore delete any and all Scenery integrated Mesh from P3D, freeing up many GB of space on my dedicated SSD? 

I can see no logical reason why I couldn't but seek advice in case my "logic" is in fact incorrect.

In the fat regions, I think the mesh is  tweaked in many places to eliminate aberrant data, specially around the upgraded airports. So if deleted,  say hello to Glitchville.

Move your Pilots mesh to your HD and simply edit the file location in your scenery.cfg file -- I have done it in the past and it worked fine.

Whatever you do, please don't go jacking with your various add-on product files. The developers worked hard to put them there and you are only going to create new problems, which will be totally of your own doing.

Ripcord and John are right.

If you have all of the Pilots Global Ultimate mesh for the whole world installed, don't forget that this is split into different regions (I think it's 6 listed in the scenery library, not at my P3D pc so can't check) and you can untick the regions you won't be flying in on the day to help with loading times - no point loading mesh for Asia if you will only be flying in PNW!

Cheers

Jack

Thanks for your input guys, all comments are noted. I asked because for example I had disabled the Mesh that came with England/Wales GenX which was 5m and P3D uses the Ultimate with no problems. By the way, GenX is on a different drive so i am aware that mesh does not need to be on the same drive, nor do many Scenery addons, as i have many on a separate drive. ORBX does require the scenery to be on the P3D drive and that was why I asked if the included ORBX mesh was definitely necessary.

I will leave it alone. Again thanks for your help.

Archived