KJAC - Snow at lower levels,yet, it is summer?

RCFlyer

There seems to be a lot of snow at the lower levels around KJAC even though it is summer.  Having been to Jackson Hole several times in the summer I know this to be unrealistic.  I did check the sim to ensure it was set at "summer".  Did I miss something in the KJAC documentation?

Thanks

G'day RCFlyer, 

These are the following seasons for the Jackson Hole valley floor:

Jan-Mar - Heavy Winter

April - Winter

May-June - Spring

July-August - Summer

September- Fall

October - Winter

Nov-Dec - Heavy Winter 

If you are referring to some sections of the Snake River bed, the light-coloured silt build-up may look white on some setups, particularly in P3Dv2. Let me know if this is the area you are talking about, or if there is something else incorrect with the seasons on your setup. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrad:

Yes, the river bed areas are very white.  That is ok.  I am speaking of the snow on the mountains not very high above the valley floor.  The mountains are actually almost completely snow covered, which is really not the case in summer.  I'll grab a couple pictures later today and post for you to see.

Danny

G'day Danny,

Your screenshot shows the fall seasonal variation (which does have a bit of snow around the mountains), this should be displaying during the month of September. To be safe, you can load your sim with a date in mid-July and confirm that you are getting summer textures. Even then, there will be tiny patches of snow in the highest parts of the Tetons - from memory the source imagery I used was taken during early summer when there would have still been some last remnants not yet melted. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived