Santa Rosa... The Charlie Brown Airport...

Hi all...

As a frequent visitor to KSTS in real life, in everything from C172, Duchesses and Q400s, I can confirm that Misha has done a superb job here!

Of course, as much as I can attest to the accuracy, the proof is in the pudding... So here are a few shots so you can see for yourself. And rest assured that despite the detail you see here, performance is excellent... I have my FPS locked at 30fps and it never once went lower than that :)

These screenshots are all FSX: Steam Edition running DX10 mode...

4162fa770d4e158cc5114ad3e89509b6.jpg

f7d5d399cf323a6c6340061ac3e616a1.jpg

68087348db47ee1b822c151af88906fd.jpg

30ff99beca9f9cc728a9a21f75b117ae.jpg

7187bf383354de79e43f415389bf1375.jpg

f7f9cb437e41da7589bd6cce4d40c92d.jpg

e13147a68809abe22e1867f58d1e3678.jpg

ff691c8ad068991c4f39c55f85adbb3d.jpg

44d2357b5b01d203a96f2bce987eb973.jpg

2eac199b3f4f4bf8db3dd63f39895b2a.jpg

6823e6e16c1839c79c237d9684453871.jpg

cb7a0f2e9fd4eabe5c227b546ec94372.jpg

I wish the team would rethink the opposition to the extending runway. Great looking scenery but the lack of a recent runway length is a big turn off.

How is it a big turnoff? There's no 'opposition', the reason has been explained already:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/99554-wine-country-introducing-ksts-sonoma-county-regional-airport/?p=900982

How is it a big turnoff? There's no 'opposition', the reason has been explained already:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/99554-wine-country-introducing-ksts-sonoma-county-regional-airport/?p=900982

Didnt they upgrade the runway length for bigger airplane service by the airlines? I cannot accurately fly using real world charts and takeoff calculations because all the info I have is up to date while the runway in the sim is 2 years old. It is just a small but important piece. I buy addon airports to simulate current conditions. A little runway extension surely cannot mess up the scenery this much can it? Even if you offered it in a patch in a few months time it woulld be appreciated. I am trying not to sound whiny I just expect to get a current accurate modeling of an airport if I pay 30 dollars.

Hi 413x3

Not at all: you are not being a "cry baby", it is an important technical observation. As you said, the airport without the updated version, does not lend itself to IFR simulation.

But Mischa must have a technical problem or "dead line" that prevents he from making the necessary adjustment.

Well he could be more specific about the adequacy of the airport to the current FAA standards, do not know what's going on.

I'm stumped!

Cheers,

While I can appreciate the expectation to some degree, the developers are generally at the mercy of available data... In this case, the aerial photos.

The extension to the runway was completed, and new photography updated, shortly after Misha started this project, but enough work had already been done to make it impractical (in both time and cost) to rework everything.

This thing happens all the time... airports constantly change configuration and the latest real world charts no longer match the sim version. It's just a fact of flight sim life. It's rare for a developer to ever release a "airport configuration update"... at least I've never seen one.

As for KSTS, I can assure you that before the extension, the Q400s serving The airport had no trouble getting in and out on the shorter runway. It was considered a "special" airport and required specific experience to land there, but the extension was made just to remove that limitation. Peromance calculations should still fall well within limits.

Probably not what you want to hear, but that's the long and short of it.

Hi 413x3
 , the airport without the updated version, does not lend itself to IFR simulation.

Why ? Aren't the old approach plates still available ?

It was considered a "special" airport and required specific experience to land there,

You mean the copilot had to put a foot out on the runway to slow the aircraft ? 

Why ? Aren't the old approach plates still available ?

[...]

No, mate! New Navigraph database and others only keeps the "old" procedure when it does not suffer substantial changes. In this case, the modification is automatically processes> new AIRAC cycle!

You mean the copilot had to put a foot out on the runway to slow the aircraft ?

Not that far off actually ;)

It was basically "make sure you land on or before the markers then use the brakes immediately"... any floating down the runway trying to get a greaser was frowned upon ;)

Of course this did tend to result in some very "positive" arrivals as we call them!

No, mate! New Navigraph database and others only keeps the "old" procedure when it does not suffer substantial changes. In this case, the modification is automatically processes> new AIRAC cycle!

So only the FMS-tied aircraft updating themselves to the last data base may have problems. GA and turboprop simcraft will  be able to do IFR landing or take off  (including RNAV with the Garmin 750) with the old charts as before.  

Not that far off actually ;)

It was basically "make sure you land on or before the markers then use the brakes immediately"... any floating down the runway trying to get a greaser was frowned upon ;)

Of course this did tend to result in some very "positive" arrivals as we call them!

"Positive" landing like the one a commercial pilot fresh out of Navy aviation can do ^_^  ?

The old length of 14/32 was 5,121' while the new one is 6,000'. The old length on 2/20 was 5,020' and now it's 5,202'. How much difference does that really make, especially on the approach?

So far, no one has noted that the DH/DA is 1 foot different and the minimum altitude at the outer marker for a non-precision approach is now 2,000' instead of 1,900'. It's probably a good thing, because the procedure altitudes aren't affected by the increase in runway length. The ILS will fly like it always did, up to date Navagraph/NavDatPro or not.

Archived