Who will make the switch to P3D V2?

Ziggy

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say a fair answer is when it's ready .................................................  :ph34r:

I´d say when we bouth are ready. ::)

I have brought  1.4, but newer had the time/interest to use/try  it..so....I cant speak about the quality and differences. scame on lazy me.

But the new 2.0 is a must.- Hope it wont cost anoter  fee, or something extra??

HS

Oh sorry Walter, I actual mean : P3D 1.4  prise vs. 2.0 prise, not ORBX,FTX. ???

HS

EDIT: Tx Walter, my Internet is Ok, so no problem downloating again (same price afterall, 20/2 unlimit).

I guess i never give FSX in. There is to many freeware, beatyfuly pared with FSX/FTXG (just found some other, Japanise and German airports).

http://www.flightport.de/szenerien/   and  http://www.fsx-info.de/?page_id=559.

Just another day day, downloading.. ::)

Kind regards

Henrik

I´d say when we bouth are ready. ::)

I have brought  1.4, but newer had the time/interest to use/try  it..so....I cant speak about the quality and differences. scame on lazy me.

But the new 2.0 is a must.- Hope it wont cost anoter  fee, or something extra??

HS

Hi Hendrik,

Sorry to spoil your dreams but LM has stated that 2.0 is a new product so that there will be no special update price for useres of the Academic Version and most likely not for users of the Professional Verison!

Details, however, have not yet been decided by LM: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3271.0

So it looks as if we would have to buy a completly new product. But from the first prictures and from what we already know about 2.0 I trust that it will be worth every cent! And given the fact that we will use it for the next years and it will get better and better with every point release tht is even more true.

The future is bright 8) 

Hi Hendrik,

Sorry to spoil your dreams but LM has stated that 2.0 is a new product so that there will be no special update price for useres of the Academic Version and most likely not for users of the Professional Verison!

Details, however, have not yet been decided by LM: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3271.0

So it looks as if we would have to buy a completly new product. But from the first prictures and from what we already know about 2.0 I trust that it will be worth every cent! And given the fact that we will use it for the next years and it will get better and better with every point release tht is even more true.

The future is bright 8) 

Lets just hope that LM continues having the defence contract for years to come. If they lose it and turn the lights out and go home, can you still install this thing?

Charles.

Lets just hope that LM continues having the defence contract for years to come. If they lose it and turn the lights out and go home, can you still install this thing?

Charles.

Well, Charles, that is a good question. But I think that is the general risk we have with all contractual partners.

Who can say who will be still around next year? We have seen the biggest names fail in the last years but maybe we ourselves are also no longer around... Who knows.... We have seen that Microsoft abandoned the field in a hurry and yes maybe LM will do so too. But the same could apply for Orbx or Aerosoft, for Justflight or the flightsimstore, A2A or PMDG and any other company in the business.

So my recommendation is to back-up the downloaded files (although I have no idea if they work without those online-unwraper-things!) and trust that things will go on for the future.

And if LM does not release any further updates and leaves the field we have at least seen a significantly improved FSX! And in that case maybe Orbx buys the code and then it finally is where it belongs :D.

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. If I don't want to overclock my CPU but want to get the most out of my I7 3770 with regards to better frame rates and more steady frame rates. Would it be a good idea to switch to Prepar 3D?

Also does it matter that the EULA say's you cant use it for home simulation.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Damian

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. If I don't want to overclock my CPU but want to get the most out of my I7 3770 with regards to better frame rates and more steady frame rates. Would it be a good idea to switch to Prepar 3D?

Also does it matter that the EULA say's you cant use it for home simulation.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Damian

For the EULA question you will have to visit the official LM Prepar3D forum. Do not ask about that here but (!) also do not ask about it there because it has been asked too often already. Visit the official forum, read what they have to say about it and make your own decision.

About switching to P3D: I would wait for version 2.0. Don't switch now because it won't make a huge difference. Version 2.0 may make a bigger difference but this also depends heavily on your GPU because version 2.0 shifts a lot of the work from the CPU to the GPU.

......Also does it matter that the EULA say's you cant use it for home simulation......

Hi Damien,

for this question you can already find many answers in the different forums. Ask Google and you'll get the answer.

Spirit

.....About switching to P3D: I would wait for version 2.0. Don't switch now because it won't make a huge difference. Version 2.0 may make a bigger difference but this also depends heavily on your GPU because version 2.0 shifts a lot of the work from the CPU to the GPU.

P3D 1.4 is just another FSX and I rather prefer my FSX/DX10!

I guess not so many people know at the moment what P3D v2 will really be but everybody is already praising it at the best FS ever. I would say let's wait and see what really comes and what will be with all the FSX aircraft and scenery addons.

Spirit

Spirit many of us would not agree with you. P3D has proven a genuine step forward......

Hi Ian,

so I guess you talk about P3D 1.4 because nobody outside the circle of beta tester should know much about P3D v2, isn't it? Some pretty screenshots tell not the whole thing.

If you're so happy with P3D 1.4 it's nice to hear but my impression is not so enthusiastic and I still prefer my well tuned FSX/DX10. I guess we both are very different user so it's normal to have different point of views.

What I would say is, that from my point of view it's wise to wait with P3D v2 and read carefully what the early birds have to tell after they bought their new toy. There's no need to rush because P3D v2 will be available anytime.

Spirit

Right, I've been thinking, and that's generally bad news.

For me, the forthcoming P3D version 2 is pretty much a done deal. As much of the stuff that's currently being done through the CPU will be done through the GPU, I MIGHT have to buy a better graphics card. We'll see. It won't be the end of the world.

My confusion is this. Currently, I have retained my "Old Warden", "Popham", "Elstree", FTX England, Scotland and Wales, as well as Global as compressed zips. I assume that as the wrapper/installer thingy will recognise my system,  should I ever need to reinstall, I can simply open the zips, decompress them and reinstall, right?

Okay, so it takes up a lot of hard drive space, but I have room to spare.

With the NEW P3D however, things are going to be different, and its already been mentioned on the forum that the team are working on the installers to make things compatible.

Does that mean that I'm going to have to re-download everything I currently have from the store, or will the "install to P3D option" in my current folders be somehow modified from behind the scenes?

Only I'm sitting on the Launchpad for the new Damyn's Hall as well as a couple of other goodies, but if I need to download everything again in a month or two, I'd rather wait. And if upgrading to a better graphics card means everything will have to be downloaded yet again, I'd rather have a clear path ahead, because its gonna get tricky. In fact, if my old folders aren't worth retaining, I'd rather clear them out now, just to give P3D V2 a spacious entrance.

I'm talking like an idiot aren't I? >:D

Does that mean that I'm going to have to re-download everything I currently have from the store, or will the "install to P3D option" in my current folders be somehow modified from behind the scenes?.......

As it was already said in another thread - YES - download again. :mellow:

Spirit

Okay, I missed that thread, which isn't surprising, seeing as there are quite a few of the little blighters to go through. Thanks for clarifying. Its not the news I wanted, but I can get the house clearance underway in anticipation at least!

Not buy again - only download when it has the new installer.

Spirit

I've actually decided now against buying the FS Global Ultimate series of meshes as they only come on [12] DVDs. I suspect given the folder location changes and registry changes that P3D v2 will have, existing DVDs will not be compatible. I'd then have to get a whole new set of DVDs shipped and anything shipped to NZ is expensive, even assuming that the 'upgrade' itself from PILOTs is free (no idea on that). Best course of action for me is to wait on that.

Otherwise, everything else is a download and there is a gazillion GB of the stuff; not looking forward to it, but it is necessary so 'it is what it is'.

If / when I go with P3D v2 I will completely wipe my machine and re-install Windows and everything from scratch; its the safest, if most time consuming path.

I've actually decided now against buying the FS Global Ultimate series of meshes as they only come on [12] DVDs. I suspect given the folder location changes and registry changes that P3D v2 will have, existing DVDs will not be compatible. I'd then have to get a whole new set of DVDs shipped and anything shipped to NZ is expensive, even assuming that the 'upgrade' itself from PILOTs is free (no idea on that). Best course of action for me is to wait on that.

Otherwise, everything else is a download and there is a gazillion GB of the stuff; not looking forward to it, but it is necessary so 'it is what it is'.

If / when I go with P3D v2 I will completely wipe my machine and re-install Windows and everything from scratch; its the safest, if most time consuming path.

They have a P3D installer available for the current DVD's when you register on their site. It's for v1.4 right now but I would imagine they would make one for V2 as well. That's something you might be able to check with them about.

The whole debate about EULAs is kind of like Herpes (Type 1 to qualify)..... It just doesn't go away. Everyone eventually is affected by it, we all say we don't like talking about it; yet noone can really ignore it and, despite all the warnings, we all continue to go back to the same glass it came from.

Unless we all move to next step of human evolution (a world without wars and hatred), believe me LM is the safest company in the world. Even better than Apple. Even if US cuts defence budget, there is huge demand for LM products from emerging market.

This is all my speculation but, I believe all this sudden interest for flight simulation from world's biggest military contractor comes from a single and very solid reason: future wars will be fought without human (at least for advanced countries like US). Unmanned aircrafts and other military vehicles will still be controlled by people, but these people will be sitting in a virtual reality capsule somewhere in Pentagon. All these wireless technology, advanced military satellites, unmanned probes and aircrafts, reconnaissance robots (search for Boston Dynamics in Youtube) indicates this direction.

And you need training programs, simulators for training military personnel who'll be controlling multi-million war machines. There's no way to know what LM thinks, but if I am right, P3d is a very small investment for a very big possible outcome or experiment for them.

Emin:  absolutely.

And for others, let me tell you that I never think of EULAs, except when someone tells me what I can or can't do, and unilaterally takes my right of choice from me.  Then I get offended.

Otherwise I continue to sleep restlessly until Orbx releases its announced new product and LM it's version 2.0

But a good single malt does promote sleep.

A really   "good "  Flight Simulator platform is not just limited to only flight simulation and military operations.

It's market can include :

Movie production , Documentaries , advertising , promotions ,

tourism development and promotion ,

concept development , research and development , safety programs,

non flight teaching aids , planning bush walking or hiking routes ,

motivation aids or training,

train simulator , motor racing simulator , water craft simulation .

You could add a host of other activities , basically your imagination would be the only limit.

I'm sure that Lockheed Martin are only too aware of it's possible potential.

The greater the realism and fidelity that that can be introduced into Prepar3D ,

results in a greater appeal to a wide range of users.

All of the above is to our benefit in our future flight simulation activities.

Cheers

Karol

Allan:  if you are for real, the words of the acronym are End User Licencing Agreement.

This is the section which you bypass without reading by just clicking I Agree,  usually.

In this case it is a huge, volatile, often vicious and very censorial argument about what is, or is not, an entertainment or training, or professional licence.  It burns from forum to forum like a bushfire.

Some publishers prevent their products being installed into P3D by special coding.

If P3D v2.0 really provides a step up, then this debate will take a new turn.  Will the autocratic fundamentalists still demand we stick with the orphaned FSX.   Or will publishers in order to sell their products into this small market begin to adjust their arbitrary views.   Lots of water still to flow under the bridge yet.

Allan: if you are for real, the words of the acronym are End User Licencing Agreement.

This is the section which you bypass without reading by just clicking I Agree, usually.

In this case it is a huge, volatile, often vicious and very censorial argument about what is, or is not, an entertainment or training, or professional licence. It burns from forum to forum like a bushfire.

Some publishers prevent their products being installed into P3D by special coding.

If P3D v2.0 really provides a step up, then this debate will take a new turn. Will the autocratic fundamentalists still demand we stick with the orphaned FSX. Or will publishers in order to sell their products into this small market begin to adjust their arbitrary views. Lots of water still to flow under the bridge yet.

Well said, sir. Well said. This pretty much sums it up.

Bring on P3D v2.0! And thank you Lockheed-Martin. I bet Microsoft is kicking themselves, now that "Flop", er "Flight", never got a good headwind.

Todd

Hi Todd,

We don’t know what LM has invested in development of 2.0 and we don’t know what is their return on it. So we pretty much don’t know what will MS’s position will be about this…

To me it appears as if it would have been a smart move from MS if they have continued to develop FSX to a professional simulation platform. With that we would have seen FS XI four years ago… And MS would have diversified its business also into the governmental/defense sector.

Hi Todd,

We don’t know what LM has invested in development of 2.0 and we don’t know what is their return on it. So we pretty much don’t know what will MS’s position will be about this…

To me it appears as if it would have been a smart move from MS if they have continued to develop FSX to a professional simulation platform. With that we would have seen FS XI four years ago… And MS would have diversified its business also into the governmental/defense sector.

As an IT professional I'm not sure THAT would have been a good day for us....  If LM have decided to enter the simulation market and use our vast community of enthusiast, passionate (crazy?) people as a content multiplier then kudos to them: they have it right. 

Here is what I think happened. One day they sit down and someone says they need to develop a simming engine for their market. They start making guesses at the cost of the whole thing and their hair soon turns white: who's gonna pay for the development of sceneries, models, plugins?

Then someone raises his hand and says : "why don't we take FSX and improve it? There are hundreds of thousands of crazy people around the world who want a better FSX: THEY will provide the money by buying sceneries and addons! And we don't even need to invest a dime: there are firms who will be happy to see the light at the end of the tunnel and put their money on the table. We just need to give them what they need: a modern simulation environment without the need of new developing methods around a new sdk. We won't even ask them to ditch their old models and sceneries! They will work out of the box! Who could ask for more?"

I don't think I am too far off.

Have a look at some of the J35 videos around.

Look at the fixed platform sims they have built for.basic pilot training, with screen/monitor real world scenery.

Then we know that a huge military investment sits behind P3D. In return our community adds further value in analysis, feedback, utilities, tweaks and add-ons, and often, sheer brilliant innovation..

Microsoft has failed at consumer market big time. They missed the tablet/smartphone trend and lost lion's share to Apple and Google. They're not making money at consumer products now. On the other hand, they're stronger than ever at enteprise business.   

Some of major shareholders of Microsoft want to kick out Bill Gates (who has only 4.5% of shares now) and his fellow Steve Ballmer and withdraw from consumer market completely. Because they think all these X-box, bing (is there anyone using it?), surface tablet stuff are big waste of money.

My point is there's almost zero possibility that they come back to Flight Simulator business again. So, this EULA discussion is non-sense. P3D is a successor to FsX, take it or leave it (stay with FsX).    

Have a look at some of the J35 videos around.

Look at the fixed platform sims they have built for.basic pilot training, with screen/monitor real world scenery.

Then we know that a huge military investment sits behind P3D. In return our community adds further value in analysis, feedback, utilities, tweaks and add-ons, and often, sheer brilliant innovation..

Exactly! Someone at LM may have invented a whole new business model.

Archived