flying to Blue Canyon - P3D24

sightseer

This is P3D24 with my own sky and clouds...works in progress. the shaders do present a challenge

but I think its possible to create some fairly realistic looks.

Making your own clouds is not impossible like I once thought but it certainly is tricky. Before P3D2.3,

you could add shadows to clouds with the sky texture but from 2.3 forward it appears that it has to be in

the cloud texture and some weird lighting rules apply that I have not figured out yet.

But my work is not that bad I think. sorry about the random order thing. I don't know how to turn that off.

2015-5-31_13-38-38-761.jpg

2015-5-31_13-53-59-207f40bd.jpg

2015-5-31_13-43-56-538.jpg

2015-5-31_14-4-38-962.jpg

2015-5-31_14-6-31-432.jpg

2015-5-31_13-46-22-728.jpg

2015-5-31_14-3-7-622.jpg

Great stuff, Dave! Have you figured out a way of lightening the excessively dark lower/underneath palette?

Adam.

Adam -  I think that LM changed the shading with 2.3 and it took away the shading from the ambient lighting and left it all to the cloud texture.  This made

the clouds look flatter on the bottom and they had no color.  REX immediately came out with 'Soft Clouds' and those had blue shadows.

After trying everything with the sky texture to get color back in my clouds, I finally gave up and tried making my own clouds and I find that you can make

a rounded, shaded cloud that doesn't have such stark dark bottoms.  or if that's what you want, you can.

What I find tricky is that there is still a very basic gradient shading being applied to the clouds so you still don't have complete control.

There is definitely some shader code/programming at work there.

and then there is also the weather related cloud transparency issue -- also shader related because it wasn't so bad in previous versions.  the only

thing a cloud maker has control over is whether a cloud has a transparent middle or not.  but some clouds need that - to make good 'soft fly through effects'. 

Archived