Using FS Ultimate in FTX Regions

Jon Clarke

I recently asked about using FS Global Ultimate Mesh and whether I would need to disable the mesh with FTX products to ensure i got the highest definition mesh. I have been looking, belatedly, at the Regions info where it states that FS Global is compatible with a region as long as it is not of a higher grid resolution than 10m. I am sure some of the Ultimate mesh is of around 5m. Does that mean I cannot see the benefits of the Ultimate mesh in these areas?

I currently have Promesh California installed and I believe it is 5m and not 10m as is for example NCA. I disabled the NCA mesh and I see no adverse effects. 

I know it will not have any adverse effect when flying in Global but seek clarification regarding using it with the FTX Regions.

Hi,

Concerning mesh into a flightsim, no need to disable anything in case of different meshs activated. The program will take the higher in resolution build

Thanks Richard, but my question was about compatibility with FTX Regions where the Ultimate mesh is of higher resolution than the 10m mesh of FTX.

The FTX NA NCA manual says " 3rd party addon terrain mesh files are compatible as long as they do no provide a higher grid resolution than !0m, and their scenery library position is of lower display priority than FTX NA NCA"

There are 5m and even 2m mesh grid resolutions in Ultimate Americas.

I just seek clarification as  to what the Incompatibilities are if, as you say in your reply, that FSX/P3D chooses the higher resolution mesh. Is it only elevation that is affected, and if so can the Vector elevation tool solve the problem?

Thanks Richard, but my question was about compatibility with FTX Regions where the Ultimate mesh is of higher resolution than the 10m mesh of FTX.

The FTX NA NCA manual says " 3rd party addon terrain mesh files are compatible as long as they do no provide a higher grid resolution than !0m, and their scenery library position is of lower display priority than FTX NA NCA"

There are 5m and even 2m mesh grid resolutions in Ultimate Americas.

I just seek clarification as  to what the Incompatibilities are if, as you say in your reply, that FSX/P3D chooses the higher resolution mesh. Is it only elevation that is affected, and if so can the Vector elevation tool solve the problem?

In fact if your mesh resolution is set to 5m, FSG Ultimate is mostly compatible to ORBX regions. If you set it to 2m, you may experience some minor mismatches of elevation but nothing serious anyway. Very accurate mesh is fine for mountains.

Hi guys,

generally speaking, issues might show up when the elevation source data for the third-party terrain mesh was very different than what we're using. In that case you may see terrain steps at the perimeters of airports, bridges and other 3D objects not being properly connected to the surface, as well as waterbodies raised or sunken relative to the surrounding terrain. If in doubt, temporarily deactivate the add-on mesh (one can do that during a flight, in slew or pause mode) to compare the mesh versions.

Specific to North America I doubt that you would see those kinds of issues because we make sure that each of our FTX regions uses the most current public-domain data available. For example, quite a few US states now provide high-resolution 1-m or 3-m LIDAR data, which we incorporate into our base files. Even if we don't compile them at full resolution -- which would be overkill for flightsim uses anyway -- the resulting terrain mesh files are sufficiently similar to a 5-m terrain mesh add-on using the same data so that none of the issues mentioned above would arise.

Cheers, Holger  

Archived