Golden Age Simulations

NeilG

Wondered what you all thought about Golden Age Simulations. Their models are quite nice looking but not high def etc. it seems to me, though, that they do their homework and what I would like is a nice 'low and slow' that flies authentically and requires a bit of understanding to fly well. What do you all think?

Neil

I have several of Golden Age planes and like them. The graphics are a bit dated, but the planes fly well and look good. For the price, not bad. Another company, Alibeo (now available through Carenado), also has vintage planes that fly well for low and slow. Their graphics are better, and the planes are fun to fly. Carenado itself produces great low and slow Cessnas and Pipers, and A2A is very popular with those who want strictly correct details. Their Piper J-3 is a classic, figuratively and literally. Don't forget the wonderful world of freeware either--a site like Simviation has a great many planes that are perfectly adequate for free. Tim "Piglet" Conrad's Pilatus P6 is a perennial favorite of low and slow fliers, plus he has a shelf for dog kibbles in his plane. How can you not love it!

Thanks for that. I have the A2A offerings and love them. I just really took to the vintage character and the sense that a good bit of research had been done, that came with Golden Age.

I have several  Golden Age planes. I have never had a bad one. I love them all. My personal favorite is the New Standard D 25A, but the Stinsons are great too.

Sue

The graphics are a bit dated

[Joke omitted.] Seriously though, everything since the Lockheed Model 12 is pretty much up to date and they are starting to do better VCs since the Travelair Mystery Ships. The really old models (Boeing Model 40, Stearman Speedmail) are pretty basic, especially the VCs. The exteriors on all their later models are, without exception, beautiful. My favourites are the Pitcairn autogiros, the Ryan PT-22 and the Travelair Mystery Ship. It's worth pointing out that you usually get a number of variants with a GAS package, not just different paints.

Archived