KSQL, is it worth getting?

addman

Just asking since it seems to be quite the performance hog, mostly attributed to SanFran being close by no doubt. Still, the surrounding looks very nice and I really like the whole feel and look of the airport itself. What say ye, honourable buyers of KSQL? San Carlos, yay or....nay? I know it's not among the May sale offers btw.

I really like it. I haven't really noticed too much of a performance hit, although I have a pretty high end machine. It's a nice distance for GA flying from KMRY, KTVL, KPSP etc.

I vote for you to get it! :)

I drive by that little airport everyday on my way to work in Silicon Valley. I always thought it was an interesting looking airport right next to the highway as it is next to the marshes with an interesting approach next to the highway. I would recommend it.

San Carlos doesn't really add any additional performance hit besides what San Francisco already brings to that area. I work less than five minutes away, so it was a no brainer for me. I have an old machine, which is being replaced this month, and my flying experience is great around the airport.

Thanks for the reply guys, looks like I'll pick it up then. I did try the NCA default KSQL just to get an idea of how much the performance hit would be. Panning around in the A2A Cherokee gave good results until I looked towards San Francisco, that's when the fps plummeted, rather expected but I guess I can live with that.

Cheers!/Andreas

After you've installed KSQL there is "configure" option that shows in FTXCentralV2.  In the box that appears is a section allowing you to toggle on/off:

Marina and docks

Cranes

Marine lights

Mind you that these options are related to first having FTX NCA (Northern California) installed before KSQL as KSQL is meant to enhance this region and not just Global.

There are also 4 files with the work "windfarms" in the NCA_05/scenery folder that can be deactivated by adding ".off" to the end of the file name.

Archived