Orbx on Steam

Jordan King

Hey Team,

Todays announcement on Twitch of ORBX and DTG working together was a godsend of sorts for many new users and players as 1 click installs may soon be a reality for them to access your products. I personally don't care if you are on steam or not as I am quite content with the flight sim store and the great work they do there. With that said, I had a couple of question which I understand if you cannot answer this prematurely but wanted to attempt none the less. Will FTX Central be part of any steam releases? Will libs be automatically pushed? Will the entire ORBX portfolio be available or only some aged offerings? Will existing ORBX customers get product keys if they would like to integrate their current products into Steam? Hope those are ok to ask and appreciate any insight you can provide.

I am happy with the way things are at the moment. Flight Sim Store is a proven supplier of Flight Sim addons and they are prompt with their customer service as well. Nothing but praise for those guys at FSS

FTX Central 2 works great too BTW  8)

While Steam is a very easy and convenient way of managing apps and addons, it's weak point is that it's not best suited for any sort of complex management of addons.  Certain gamers prefer alternatives for some games (e.g. mod managers), or else use work-arounds to avoid some of the Steam features.  FXC2 does a complex job very nicely and seamlessly, and it likely wouldn't be a trivial job to make it work with Steam.  One of the difficulties is in handling updates, where Steam's way of doing so may be at odds with any non-Steam method.

Anything we offer DTG for Steam will not be aimed at our core "Orbx enthusiast" core customer base, but the casual Steam gamer looking for simple to install DLCs for FSX:SE. This means no FTX Central, no Objectflow, no FTX regions or Global assumed, default autogen and mostly designed for default terrain. In other words, anything DTG publishes from Orbx will be unique to the platform and not really designed for our core customers.

Saying that, anything brand new published via DTG will have a brief 90-day exclusive-to-Steam period, then followed by our own Orbx triple-installer down the track. This gives us a window to release the FSX:SE-only version, then 90 days to enhance it and release it to our core base as a Global/Regions compatible triple-installer.

Finally, there is a crossover of our core customers who have embraced FSX:SE as their platform of choice and they will continue to use FTX Central to install our full-featured triple-installer built for Global or FTX regions, not the Steam DLC method.

I hope this give you some insight into our foray onto Steam.

Anything we offer DTG for Steam will not be aimed at our core "Orbx enthusiast" core customer base, but the casual Steam gamer looking for simple to install DLCs for FSX:SE. This means no FTX Central, no Objectflow, no FTX regions or Global assumed, default autogen and mostly designed for default terrain. In other words, anything DTG publishes from Orbx will be unique to the platform and not really designed for our core customers.

Saying that, anything brand new published via DTG will have a brief 90-day exclusive-to-Steam period, then followed by our own Orbx triple-installer down the track. This gives us a window to release the FSX:SE-only version, then 90 days to enhance it and release it to our core base as a Global/Regions compatible triple-installer.

Finally, there is a crossover of our core customers who have embraced FSX:SE as their platform of choice and they will continue to use FTX Central to install our full-featured triple-installer built for Global or FTX regions, not the Steam DLC method.

I hope this give you some insight into our foray onto Steam.

Thanks so much for the insight. I was wondering how it would work and makes perfect sense. As I said, I am very happy with the FlightSimStore and will continue to use them as my provider of choice. Still, this marks a great opportunity for new players to get more out of their sim than before and will hopefully make converts later down the road as they become more acclimated. 

As long as they are not making the same losses as TESCO... £6.4bn :o

Shhh

If Tesco get wind of JV (knowing how good Orbx is) they will try and poach him and then where will us simmers be?!!!!!

And JV has more (virtual) property in his portfolio than they do!!!!!!!!

Shhh

If Tesco get wind of JV (knowing how good Orbx is) they will try and poach him and then where will us simmers be?!!!!!

And JV has more (virtual) property in his portfolio than they do!!!!!!!!

And no danger of the supermarkets being too big and causing problems here at Orbx Andrew ;)

Archived