NZ North or South

kjrman

Hello everyone,

I recently reinstalled NZ South on my new computer and was gobsmacked at how great it is.  Do you have a preference for the north island vs the south island,

just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Well Kelly, I would have to say it really depends on the type of flying you do. In the air would be a good

place to start. Next would be the aircraft. It is hard to beat the Sth. Island for low and slow and of course

there are lot's of challenging airstrips that have had the ORBX  touch as part of the region. Queenstown

and Milford sound airport add-ons by ORBX are a must.

The North Island also has some great flying for both regional jets ( Auckland-wellington then on to Christcurch )

The larger jets from Auckland to Australia. Most airports have had the ORBX treatment but no full ORBX one's

for the North Island. Also if you install the superb freewear  AI FTX traffic by Graham Eccleston  ( ORBX ) you

Will have more airline and GA aircraft than you can shake a stick at. All the airlines that fly to Auckland, Wellington

and Christchurch are represented. I see that you you have SP3 Aus. so the AI will show up there as well.

Boeing 737 & Airbus A320 also from Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin & Queenstown. With this set up I find

that this neck of the woods is never wanting for somewhere to fly where the mood takes me. 

Hope this helps in some small way.

Cheers, Kevin.

My own preference is for bush flying, and I have a flying ratio of about 3:1 for NZSI:NSNI.  The south includes that fascinating area called Fiordland, a myriad of mountains, fjords and lakes, most of which has no strips whatsoever, so any landing must be on sand bars or river banks.  There's also a bunch of small strips in the NE part of NZSI in the Marlborough Sound area, a beautiful area of jagged peninsulas and islands.  NZNI also has quite a few such strips and rugged areas, such as the Wanganui river valley, or the central volcanoes south of Taupo.

So it does depend on what type of flying you like; NZ seems to have something for everybody.

I live in Hamilton, central North Island, so my preference, unsurprisingly is there.

However, I do think the SI is 'prettier', in RL as well as ORBX.

I'd move there if I could get decent work...

I love both. However, the SI comes out on top. The vast majority of my flying is low and slow and I have flown to and landed at all the airports and small strips of both islands. If you look in the flight planning forum you will find a list of all the unregistered airstrips in NZ, along with the runway orientation and elevation. I thought such a list may be helpful as this information was not included in the sims information base (might be now) Sorry I can't give you a link as the moderators combined my posts and moved the list there for me.

Archived