Disapointed by the new trees in Automn (PNW)

Argharg

Hi, just installed the new trees and I must say I have mixt feeling with the result.

So basically you removed the canopy (less poly) and the fresnel effect to get so fps back, meanwhile you raised by 2 the resolution.

Trees looks like the good old FS9 now, canopy and fresnel were added in FSX to remove the cross effect eye sore at the expense of some fps, (and it worked), we are back to something more crude and in some trees it really shows (especially is the trunk is in different color than the leaves, some spring trees are really blocky now). Evergreen seem to behave better.

Of course the extra fps and added resolution are welcome (mostly seen from the ground for resolution, because from the sky the difference is invisible, whereas the new "cross boxy trees" can clearly be seen on some of the trees)

My biggest grunge is Automn on PNW. I always thought that the fact that you control the color of the textured autogen tiles allowed you to do smart tricks in the eyes. For example, putting some trees (3D effect) on a texture with the same colour give the illusion from the sky of a crowded forest, also the popup of the autogen isnt noticiable because what pops in in the same color than the background.

Here comes the issue: you changed the tree color in automn from yellow to orange for PNW, but of course the ground texture is still yellow, so now we can clearly see (1) the scarisity of the autogen trees (2) the poping up of the autogen and (3) basically orange tree just glare on yellow ground. For me it is a big no go, too back Automn on Orbx was my fav season. Other seasons seems ok.

I suspect that some adjustment on the colouring can be done and will be welcome.

Basically, mixt feeling, more fps is always super welcome, but we lost on eye candy quality big time in that one.

Hi Etienne,

Regarding the canopy, this hasn't been present in most autogen tree models since FSX service pack 2, which was released way back in 2007 or so (a few models  retained it, but if you go back to the default ORBX trees in PNW you'll see that they don't have the canopies either, just the standard 2 crossed planes).  So the models were not made more 'crude'; their appearance is exactly the same as before.  The performance increase comes mainly from a reduction in drawcalls.

Secondly, regarding the fall colors in PNW: Having grown up in Washington state and living my whole life in the western US, I personally was never happy with the very yellow appearance of the default ORBX North America trees.  In making Trees HD, this was actually one of the things that I looked forward most to improving!  I feel that the new trees (in particular the cottonwoods, which are the predominant deciduous tree type in PNW), very accurately represent the true fall colors of this region and our other North America regions.  I did my best to find a happy medium between achieving a more realistic hue to the trees, without conflicting with the color of the ground textures.  Personally, I don't notice a conflict between the trees and the ground textures in autumn, and I got positive feedback from the beta testers and many users as well.  The good news, as you already know, is that we included the ability to easily revert to your old trees using FTX Central for situations just such as these.  It's the sort of product where many people have different sorts of ideas as to what looks good, but I tried to achieve the best result I could.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Etienne,

The new HD tree Autumn (Fall) colours remind me how the original PNW Fall trees looked. Somewhere along the line they became more luminescent Orange and Yellow, I didn't really like these Yellows and luminus Oranges that much.

It is with great relief and a breath of fresh air (at least for me) that Scott has chosen to make these HD Tree Fall colours, more natural Umber and darker subdued Orange as seen in the PNW screenies below.

The only extra transitional colour I really miss or have yet to see are the Plumb Reds and variations on the Red colour.

I use SHADE (preset - Heritage mostly or Etherial Skies, along with EMB - JV's Purple Haze so my colours are enhanced from standard FSX, but even without these 2 addons active the colours are realistic and effective.

In the shots below I managed to capture a seasonal change from Fall to Winter hence the snowline trees showing snow texture.

9913a6e362e4be812fc148b9b7371e14.jpg

ea9a14e846816288dbddeff89f2a44f8.jpg

Point is being from the Netherlands where fall is mostly brownish I travelled to Yellowstone park and later to Washington State in the fall to be astonished how bright yellow the fall trees actually were...\

See: https://www.google.nl/search?q=fall+tree+yellowstone&biw=1108&bih=611&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xh02VZ3DGs3maN_kgMAJ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

The only "disappointment" I have with the trees is that Iceland seems to have an abundance of them ! Having worked in Iceland I can assure you that the first thing that strikes you when you arrive there is the total lack of trees ! There are none outside of the planted ones in a few towns. The interior of the country has none, it is bare of trees totally.

Maybe someone from  Iceland can comment as my travels in Iceland were somewhat restricted, but there are none around Keflavik airport and the surrounding "countryside" as depicted in P3D.

Love the HD Trees product by the way, it is just not accurate as far as Iceland is concerned.

The only "disappointment" I have with the trees is that Iceland seems to have an abundance of them ! Having worked in Iceland I can assure you that the first thing that strikes you when you arrive there is the total lack of trees ! There are none outside of the planted ones in a few towns. The interior of the country has none, it is bare of trees totally.

Maybe someone from  Iceland can comment as my travels in Iceland were somewhat restricted, but there are none around Keflavik airport and the surrounding "countryside" as depicted in P3D.

Love the HD Trees product by the way, it is just not accurate as far as Iceland is concerned.

That's more a matter of landclass.

But you are right, Iceland is too polar in climate to  have trees.

Once again, Trees HD does not add or remove trees from areas, it just replaces the textures of your existing autogen trees. So in your case, you would have seen the same amount of trees in Iceland before installing Trees HD.

I understand Scott. Maybe i should have said "disappointed with trees in P3D". You do know I was not  criticising your product don't you?

Ah, understood now.  Just trying to make sure everyone's clear on what Trees HD does and doesn't do, that's all :)

Cheers,

Scott

Archived