FTX Central setting to install third party airports

abta

Hi,

Just to be sure.... If I want to install an airport like Melbourne, I set FTX Central to Oceania before installation.

And if I want to install any third party airport I set FTX Central to Global.

But what do I have to do, when I am going to install a third party airport which is located in an area covered by a region pack?

For example London Heathrow by simwings on FTX england.

Do I also have to set FTX Central to Global before installation or do I have to set it to Europe because of FTX England?

As you never can be 100% sure about what an Addons does, best practice for 3rd party addons outside Orbx is:

1. Set FTX Central to Global

2. install the Addon as Administrator

3. reboot and close  FSX

4. In case you have FTX Vector installed run the AEC Tool

Also very important is that you should make use of the "Library Insertion Point" in FTX Central.

As you never can be 100% sure about what an Addons does, best practice for 3rd party addons outside Orbx is:

1. Set FTX Central to Global

2. install the Addon as Administrator

3. reboot and close  FSX

4. In case you have FTX Vector installed run the AEC Tool

Also very important is that you should make use of the "Library Insertion Point" in FTX Central.

As far as I know, the library insertion point is only important when it comes to Orbx sceneries.  FTX Central settings really don't apply to 3rd party addons, as Bruce has commented above.  For example, I have installed Tongass Fjords and Aerosoft's PANC airport, and neither one "cared" what I did with FTX Central.  They both positioned themselves where their respective installer placed them.  Later, I had to place TF below all the Orbx sceneries as was suggested by its documentation.

Hi Stewart,

actually, Otto's post is a good summary of the "safe" procedure for installing third-party add-ons. In most cases one will be OK regardless of FTX Central setting. However, if the add-on in question also manipulates or replaces and of the FSX/P2D core files then it's safer to set your sim back to default/Global status first.

As for the insertion point tool it's primary function is in fact to manage the Orbx/FTX block of entries in relation to third-party scenery; if you don't have any third-party add-ons then you won't need to use the insertion point tool. In the example with Tongass X and PANC the former needs to be below the FTX block while PANC needs to be above; the only way to achieve that in a persistent manner is to set the insertion point to the higher of the two Tongass X entries. 

Cheers, Holger

Archived