FTX Central V2 - idea for new version.

I'm debating on getting a new separate hd for FSX

I'm going to be installing everything again and I thought of something.

It would be awesome to only install the central program then through there you would log into your flightsimstore.com account.

it would then lookup all the orbx software you bought, 

you could go through and click on the items/software/regions/airports etc that you want to install

it would download it and install it all in one whack!

Any chance of that happening? Probably not. but fun to dream non-the-less.

Sounds good to me Brian. When you see the fantastic things done by computers today that were not even though of a few years ago (think Orbx scenery for one) there is no reason it, or something similar, can't be made to work. Even if it was payware.

And I believe in Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny. Just ask my grandchildren. ;)

Although they are closely associated, I do believe Flightsimstore is a separate entity from ORBX. Any API that checks purchases, downloads and installs should probably be theirs. Now it would be a more logical step for me to see FSS create a mini-Steam API like that. It would then cover more than just ORBX by the way. It could be seen as a competitive advantage over other stores, but it would cost money not just to develop but to maintain (esp. since it will promote repeated downloads and bandwidth costs). Of course, I keep the installers on a different drive, so I never re-download unless a new version or service pack comes out.

Although they are closely associated, I do believe Flightsimstore is a separate entity from ORBX. Any API that checks purchases, downloads and installs should probably be theirs. Now it would be a more logical step for me to see FSS create a mini-Steam API like that. It would then cover more than just ORBX by the way. It could be seen as a competitive advantage over other stores, but it would cost money not just to develop but to maintain (esp. since it will promote repeated downloads and bandwidth costs). Of course, I keep the installers on a different drive, so I never re-download unless a new version or service pack comes out.

Yep; pretty much the same way you log into Steam, irrespective of who developed the game you install.  I don't think it would add much to their bandwidth demands, though, as it would mostly only serve new sales and updates, just like now.  The bigger hits would be for people with new builds (or new engine/version) who need a complete reinstall, but that would be far less common. I'm with you on installers - I keep them on a NAS, and I suspect many people do similar. Perhaps a useful service would be the option to maintain a user's 'library' (separate from install) so that we could keep the installers up to date.  Such a system would sure give FSS a major advantage in the marketplace!

Archived