Scenery only loads around aircraft, nothing in distance!

Jase85

I have purchased Orbx England and I can never see any trees, buildings or roads etc in the distance- it's just an ugly, 2d blur. Anything up close to my aircraft is sublime in detail. It's like a mile around my aircraft is amazing in detail but everything else is dreadful.

I have followed FTXs recommended settings and also had my sliders up to full but to no joy!

My specs are: windows 7, intel i7 3.5 ghz, 16gb ram, amd radeon hd 7800 graphics card.

Please help!!

That looks pretty normal.  FSX has to make compromises in scenery display.  If it tried to show the entire visible area in detail you'd have to have a supercomputer to run it.

In the FSX.cfg file you can increase your Level of Detail (LOD) from.4.5000 to 6.5000 or even 8.5000 which can cause performance problems.  There are plenty of threads about how to do that, use Google if you don't know how to do it.

Aslo it's rare to have visibility unlimited, so in your weather settings you can set it to 30 or 40 miles which is much more realistic 90% of the time.

You may also want to check to see if your "filtering mode" is set to Anisotropic... First page of the settings menu will give you a choice of Bilinear, Trilinear or Anisotropic.

This will not increase the distance at which objects display (that can be adjusted as mentioned above), but it will sharpen the textures in the distance.

Thank you all so much for your help- so grateful 😊

Is it worth tinkering with the .cfg or do you think I should just leave it as it is? I'm not the most apt with computers but if there's a simple guide, then I'd definitely give it a go to see any possible differences/ improvements!!

If that's normal for scenery then I'm happy but after seeing screenshots and numerous YouTube videos, it got me concerned!

My filtering is antisotropic 😊

Once again, thank you all very much!

Archived