Northern Alaska

Craig Teague

Is their any chance that ORBX will be developing Northern Alaska......

I would like to see all of fairbanks and the outlying areas brought up to ORBX standards....especially Fairbanks international and

Ladd Army Airfield (PAFB) Fort Wainwright, AK.......This would give us Bush pilot fans a really challenging area to fly in......

I think Orbx has it's plate pretty full now with Southern California and Germany.

I have enhanced Northern Alaska airports at least with Aerosoft's Fairbanks and Pete & Sid's Viva scenery for great many airports in Alaska. While Pete & Sid's scenery is for FS2004 the airports convert nicely using AFX.

Noel

An Alaska region or two would be nice, but maybe if ORBX could finish the OpenLC-NA, we could be happy for a while.

If OpenLC NA covers Alaska (I didn't see any indication of the cover), it may be enough to cover this wild region.

A long time ago, when there were still roadmaps, there was something about the next Alaska region being after Norway, BUT that was along time ago and plans my well have changed.  I'm still hoping that's the plan, though.  Denali National park really needs improvement!

Actually, on that note, doing Talkeetna with Mt. McKinley would be kind of like the Monument Valley and Devils Tower national park sceneries, but it might be a bit bigger.

I don't see any reason why ORBX should develop areas such as Northern Alaska. Up North, all you really have is endless wilderness. The FTX Global products would do this just fine and would free up development for other regions such as SOCAL.

Some of us like flying in the wilderness!  However, I take your point that there would be little scope for much of what we normally get in a region, though it may well make a good Global package with a collection of smaller airstrips and POIs.  Then again, PFJ includes a lot of wilderness, and IMO it's one of the best regions.

I don't see any reason why ORBX should develop areas such as Northern Alaska. Up North, all you really have is endless wilderness. The FTX Global products would do this just fine and would free up development for other regions such as SOCAL.

Yeah, given that we have a LOT of bush-flyers here, I think you are going to be hammered a little bit for this comment -- but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it : )

I'm more interested in the Aleutians myself but also Nome/Kotzebue. And to some extend I would be into the north part myself. I would fly it.

More than anything I'm wanting a really really good ORBX quality PADQ.

I love flying the bush in the wilderness but I think that if OpenLC NA covers North and West of SAK that would be enough for my enjoyment :)  !  I do not see what a fat region would bring more considering the terrain.  Now, if an OrbX developer would do Unalaska as a mini-region like Sedona or AYPY, I would not say no.

At the time when SIM720 cancelled their work on "Norway South" Holger took over (thankfully providing a complete Norway) and had to abandon work on something that was called "another Alaska region". I remember this much.

After Eugene et. al. release OpenLC NA I think there will be a reassessment about what NA regions are worth the effort.

Pete & Sid did a reasonably good PADQ.  Not Orbx quality, but much better than the default.  However it's an FS2004 scenry and the AFCAD should be converted to FSX with AFX.

Aerosoft has an outstanding Dutch-Harbor/Unalaska.

For those who are not purists Alaska is well covered by Pete & Sid as well as most of Northern Canada.  Once OpenLC NA comes on line I'm perfectly happy with what I already have installed for Alaska.

But I am somewhat surprised that of all the Global freeware airport packages that have been released, Alaska has been ignored.  They did Hawaii.  So why not a few for Northern Alaska too?

Noel

Aerosoft has an outstanding Dutch-Harbor/Unalaska.

You're the first one that I read saying something good about it, Noel. Anyway it is FSX only and AS, unlike OrbX, does not do anything to convert older sceneries to P3D

You're the first one that I read saying something good about it, Noel. Anyway it is FSX only and AS, unlike OrbX, does not do anything to convert older sceneries to P3D

Not quite true - they've just released an updated Antarctica version which works with P3D, and there's a revamped Tahiti in the pipeline.  However, it's not an automatic upgrade for all sceneries (unlike Orbx), and we'll likely have to pay for the revamped ones.

Not quite true - they've just released an updated Antarctica version which works with P3D, and there's a revamped Tahiti in the pipeline.  However, it's not an automatic upgrade for all sceneries (unlike Orbx), and we'll likely have to pay for the revamped ones.

I understand from what Mathjis Kok said that the conversions of older products will be rare exceptions rather than the rule. If that changes I would applaud even I've to pay a premium for it. V2 of Tahiti that I own in FSX, unfortunately looks a bit of a vaporware to me. Hope to be wrong. The good news is that 29Palms is adapting their two Greek airports that I cant't wait to install into OpenLC EU.

Maybe I'm not that hard to please.

Noel

I agree Outrage

Ben

I agree Outrage

Ben

SoCal won't be affected as it's in development right now. This is about the time after SoCal.

There are still interesting places left in Alaska like the mighty Alaska and Brooks Ranges, Kodiak and the Aleuts. Also, the TV show "Flying Wild Alaska" has popularized ERA Alaska and its bases like Bethel, Aniak, Unalakleet, Nome, Kotzebue and Barrow. Sure, not interesting for NGX, but not everyone flies big bellies.

In an ADX live review of PAHO a couple of months ago Alex has expressed his preference of designing Alaskan airfields.

I agree with Bora. Remember how popular Bush Flying Unlimited was in FS9. They had scenery all over Alaska as well as repaints for so many aircraft.

Sure, there's little there for the thrust lever-push button-autopilot jocks, but for those many of we bush pilot wannabes who fly by the stick and who want to serve the small communities of Northern Alaska and the Aleutians something more than Pete and Sids old FS9 sceneries would be nice.

A full FAT scenery is not necessary. Global freeware airports for the smaller communities and Global payware Fairbanks and Kodiak and Dutch Harbor would serve us nicely.

Orbx did a nice job covering Hawaii with Global freeware airports. Now it's Alaska's turn.

Noel

SoCal won't be affected as it's in development right now. This is about the time after SoCal.

There are still interesting places left in Alaska like the mighty Alaska and Brooks Ranges, Kodiak and the Aleuts. Also, the TV show "Flying Wild Alaska" has popularized ERA Alaska and its bases like Bethel, Aniak, Unalakleet, Nome, Kotzebue and Barrow. Sure, not interesting for NGX, but not everyone flies big bellies.

In an ADX live review of PAHO a couple of months ago Alex has expressed his preference of designing Alaskan airfields.

And there is many interesting places around the world.

But it look like a lot of folks around the world are fascinated by the western side of North America. It sell obviously.

Ben

I agree with Bora. Remember how popular Bush Flying Unlimited was in FS9. They had scenery all over Alaska as well as repaints for so many aircraft.

Sure, there's little there for the thrust lever-push button-autopilot jocks, but for those many of we bush pilot wannabes who fly by the stick and who want to serve the small communities of Northern Alaska and the Aleutians something more than Pete and Sids old FS9 sceneries would be nice.

A full FAT scenery is not necessary. Global freeware airports for the smaller communities and Global payware Fairbanks and Kodiak and Dutch Harbor would serve us nicely.

Orbx did a nice job covering Hawaii with Global freeware airports. Now it's Alaska's turn.

Noel

Noel,  I would simply add that one of the reasons such areas as PNW and PFJ are as popular as they are, is the large number of bush pilot wannabes who buy the sceneries.  I guess you could include SAK, RTMM and Tongass Fjords, as well, but PNW is often referred to as one of the best selling regions Orbx has released.  I think a good argument could be made that an attempt to cover N. Alaska with freeware airports would be very popular, at least with the bush pilots here on the forums.

Noel,  I would simply add that one of the reasons such areas as PNW and PFJ are as popular as they are, is the large number of bush pilot wannabes who buy the sceneries.  I guess you could include SAK, RTMM and Tongass Fjords, as well, but PNW is often referred to as one of the best selling regions Orbx has released.  I think a good argument could be made that an attempt to cover N. Alaska with freeware airports would be very popular, at least with the bush pilots here on the forums.

I was initially sceptical of a further Alaska full-fat scenery. I sure enjoy the RTMM areas, but I was thinking that OpenLC NA would provide much of what we want.  However, on reflection I think you're probably right; it probably won't be enough as bush pilots get to rely on all sorts of subtleties for pilotage, such as the shape of forests, shorelines, sandbars, etc, and a full-fat would best do that job.  Nevertheless I think we should wait to see just what OpenLC does do before we're too critical.  it could be that OpenLC plus a few Jackson-style Global addons will keep us happy.  Of course if a full-fat Alaska does appear, my credit card will be in action straight away!

California is probably one of the most diverse scenery areas in the world. Starting with the Mediterranean style beaches in the south to the rugged coastline and redwood forests in the north. The Sierra Nevada range is the highest in the lower 48 with highest peak, Mt. Whitney, standing at 14,495ft and just a few miles away the lowest point in North America, Bad Water in Death Valley at over 200 feet below sea level. Add to that the great Mojave Desert and you have one of the most diverse scenery areas contained within the boundaries of a single state...and maybe even a single country.

It also has one of the most cutting edge cities in the country, Los Angeles and the most cosmopolitan city, San Francisco. And when they have water the Central and the Imperial Valleys are some of the richest agricultural areas of the world.

But most importantly, I was born there. When I was a boy there weren't that many native sons. In fact they had a little ditty that went, "The miners came in '49, the whores in '51. And when they got together, they produced the native son."

Noel

Archived