Always the same scenery...

walterg74

Hi folks, long time gamer, always loved flight sims from those days (I know the "sim" part back then was light)

I'm slowly getting into "real" simming and playing around with all three flavours (actually 2 for now, P3D will be next).

So I'm looking at addons, and what to get, etc. And of course one of the main components is scenery. I know I definitely want to get the ORBX products (althought I might also, do a parallel install with just VFR scenery as well), but while these are all fantastic looking, I realize that (not just with ORBX but with all big scenery developers in general), scenery products tend to revolve around the same areas: US, Europe, and Australia (or rather the whole Oceanic continent to be fair).

This leaves me a bit dissapointed, because I can't find any quality scenery for my area which is South America.

I realize that this is a business, and the typical areas are what's highest in demand probably which is why those are the products that get made. But while I get the warm of feeling of flying around your area (hey, I am requesting mine after all right?) isn't one of the great pleasures of flying, and travelling in general to see lands you haven't seen before??? Wouldn't it be great to actually take the opportunity that the virtual world provides to actually do that, and have (good/realistic) scenery from distant lands that you can visit, instead of always the same tired old areas? I don't know, just saying. I would love my areas mainly because they have never been done, but also see things like Egypt, Victoria Falls in South Africa, Japan, the Great Wall of China, Nepal and the Everest, Thailand, etc. So many nice Places...

Of course I would also like to propose my country, Argentina and the beautiful Iguazu Falls area (shared with Brazil) as well as the north/desert part. Look up some google images of these and tell me it would not be awesome:

- Salta and Catamarca mountains

- Iguazu falls

- Valle de la Luna San Juan

- Cañon del atuel

- El calafate

- Bariloche

Meanwhile, while I wait on these ;) any kind soul that already has Global + Vector willing to post a few screenies of these 6 specific areas I mentioned just now as well as for the city of Buenos Aires?

Thanks!! :D

and travelling in general to see lands you haven't seen before???

I totally agree, I would so much love to see South America and Africa.  I know they're in the plans for Open LC, but it's going to be a long time even for that.  There are spectacular possibilities here, and I especially like going to remote out-of-the way places, but without decent sceneries it just looks kind of blah and not super convincing.  So I end up sticking to mostly Orbx areas because they look so good.  Yeah, it's business, but it doesn't seem like Orbx can really go wrong with anything they come up with, so I hope they put out some more 'unusual' sceneries like Jackson's in the future...

This has been discussed numerous times, and while many people would probably like some more exotic sceneries, there are some problems. First, the demand is obviously still less than for North American or European sceneries, according to tim harris even the fantastic AYPY Jackson scenery didn't sales expectations. Second, it seems to be difficult to get high quality aerial images or on site photos of airport buildings which are needed for true to life sceneries.

However, if you look hard enough you'll find some good freeware sceneries, especially for Southern Africa by a group called Aeroworx, including landclass, vector data, and some good airport sceneries. I remember there are pretty

good sceneries for Victoria Falls Airport in Zimbabwe and Livingstone airport in Zambia, although the falls themselves are default. A good place to start is www.freewaresceneries.com, the sceneries are sorted by country.

Regards, Fabian

Oh, in case you didn't notice, I'd be the first to buy any exotic Orbx scenery, be it for South America our Africa or whatever. I love travelling and it would be fantastic if some of my favourite places on this beautiful planet were to get the Orbx treatment.

Just look at Global and Vector and compare it to what you had before...default MSFSX scenery. I have no affiliation with ORBX/FTX whatsoever but they have made flying in parts of the world that I would never fly otherwise a treat to fly. My next purchase will be the Global Mesh. I dunno people, but we're talking the whole world here. Appreciate the entire scope of this rather than your own personal areas of interest. They are not going to develop Timbuctu airport just because one person wants that. It's a business after all is said and done.

ORBX itself started out as just Australia. A bunch of talented developers who wanted quality scenery for what previously had been under-represented in the flight sim world. For many of them, it was/is their home. Now if someone from Argentina can develop some quality ORBX-like scenery for Argentina that would be great. Will it sell like North American sceneries? Probably not, because in most of the world outside of North America, Europe and Oceania, the aviation culture is really very small. There are currently developers who focus on Latin America, but they tend to focus on commercial airports and such. Otherwise, outside of the Global family of products, ORBX detailed sceneries are mostly FTX Region-based which are very labor-intensive projects and appear to be led by a team that seems to invariably include Holger Sandmann, i.e. Region-creating intellectual resources are finite and many of us will not live long enough for ORBX (and I mean this literally) to get global coverage at the FTX Region level. It was 10 months between NCA and Norway. That's where business priorities will dictate where the next regions are (in other words, where is the demand?). Hence, it all gets back to the real answer being developing the skills (with ortho-imagery, Sbuilder, autogen annotation, 3D modeling and much more) in South America to faithfully replicate their South American home in the flight sim environment.

I think we all know why every single area is not covered the way every single person would like, but we can dream, can't we??  I also think that it goes without saying that all of us here appreciate Orbx, which for me includes their scenery, customer service, and the community here on the forum.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be spending hard- or otherwise-earned money on it. 

Appreciate the entire scope of this rather than your own personal areas of interest.

Nice idea, but we're all in this for our own reasons.  If I loved flying airliners, but FSX only had a 172, would I be told just to appreciate it anyway?

They are not going to develop Timbuctu airport just because one person wants that.

Great idea, can't wait for this one!  Mmmmm, Mali...

Well, the end game of the Orbx FTX Global series is to give you just what you want ;)

You can already get FTX Global base pack which gives a huge boost to overall appearence to everywhere in the world (Including South America), as well as adding night lighting.

Next up, you can get FTX Global Vector which upgrades your coastlines, rivers, roads, railways, power lines etc.

Also available is FSGlobal 2010 FTX Edition which creates realistic elevation and terrain such as valleys and mountains.

And while it's not yet available, eventually there will be OpenLC Central and South America to change the land use into something more realistic and accurate.

The end result of all 4 layers is the complete transformation of the entire world into something closely resembling Orbx full regions... so with a little patience, you'll get your wish ;)

so with a little patience, you'll get your wish ;)

I am only able to really allocate a couple hours per weekend to flightsim, so even with my modest Orbx collection I have more scenery than I could possibly explore in a long long time, and more of it is the last thing I truly need.  Yet somehow patience is hard to come by sometimes.  Can't believe all the new or soonly releases!  Tax refund on its way... :ph34r:

That makes me sad that Jackson's didn't meet sales expectations.  Maybe I'll buy a few more copies.

Hi Walter, don't know if you are aware of this but for the Iguacu falls there is a freeware scenery available wich looks stunning but I remember the explanation being in Spanish but installing it works like most scenery, copying it to the add-on scenery: scenery folder and adding the area in the scenery library

Herman

http://www.terra-brasilis.org/brasil-sceneries/fsx/sul/581-fsx-iguassu-falls-save-the-planet-by-cicero-costa  this is the good one, just download the zip  under the picture

here is a you tube video from that scnery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgh1OP9TYFI

I think we all know why every single area is not covered the way every single person would like, but we can dream, can't we??  I also think that it goes without saying that all of us here appreciate Orbx, which for me includes their scenery, customer service, and the community here on the forum.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be spending hard- or otherwise-earned money on it. 

Couldn't agree more. Doesn't hurt to dream, right! :)

Archived