Multi-monitor Approach - 2 or 3?

Benjamin555

Afternoon Everyone, 

Really quick question for the community, as I'd love to hear feedback and opinions. I'm currently on a single monitor setup with my EVGA GTX780SC, and graphics simply kick butt. I'm running Prepar3d v2.4, obviously ORBX scenery, mainly A2A and PMDG aircraft. I'm thinking about investing in a second or possibly two additional monitors to make three total. Does anyone currently run a two monitor configuration, and if so, how do you like it? I'm just concerned over where the middle split is within the cockpit, and if it ruins the experience. Most enthusiasts have three, but I also lack desktop real estate. Two will also benefit me with work at home, so it's not solely about the simulator experience. But again, just want some feedback from you "2-monitor folk" out there. 

Thanks gang! Oh by the way, I'm running a 24inch monitor at the moment, and would purchase the same monitor. 

- Benjamin

I have three monitors set up, for use with a couple of PCs...I use the monitors' input-select switch, in addition to a KVM switch, to switch various monitors among the two PCs.

On my main flight sim PC, I have a GTX770 graphics card capable of supporting at least 3 monitors...but I discovered that when I have all three monitors connected to my flight sim PC, I noticed horizontal tearing in P3D 2.5, in the top-third of the P3D window.  When I have just two monitors connected to flight sim PC, then the P3D 2.5 window looks great, no tearing.  So I guess my GTX770 isn't powerful enough to support 3 monitors while using P3D...

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys. Yea Desert, precisely what I was concerned about. While I am running a GTX780SC which is overclocked quite nicely on a custom loop I designed, I was concerned with the performance hit on three monitors. I'm thinking two will suffice, and where the physical vertical split is located shouldn't be an issue. Do you find the cockpit being split to be frustrating? My monitor's frame isn't too thick to begin with though... 

Thanks Party C., yea I've seen a ton of people with similiar configurations, utilizing a second and third monitor for flight related content, while a single monitor for actual simulator graphics. 

Benjamin, I have run both 2 monitor (3840 x 1200) and 3 monitor (5760 x 1200) on Dell 2412 monitors for the forward views all running on a single NVidia GTX 770. I have found that each has both advantages and disadvantages over the other based upon what I am looking for in a setup. (I also use my setup for things other than flight simulation).

A two monitor setup will put the bezel right down the center of the runway and right about through the middle of the PFD if flying the NGX. You can move the view a bit to compensate when using the Virtual view. Perhaps some bezel adjustments or use of something like Track IR would help.  I think a two monitor setup provides better performance and sharper images than a 3 monitor setup.

Currently, I have my setup on 3 monitors and the wide view is really nice. It provides great panoramas and is a nice left side window view when taxing to parking. I also think the sensation of motion is a bit better when rolling into and out of bank turns due to the wide lateral movement. Frames are a bit lower and the scenery is a bit more blurry on the left and right monitors. The stretch effect on the outside monitors is noticeable as well.

The space needs are big. About 66 inches across my desktop to accommodate them. There is some great discussion here about the future of monitor development and perhaps there is a good solution now or in the future for a single monitor that with wide resolution and sharp imaging. I think there are some 3840 x 1600 or greater monitors now.

Good luck with your build.

Mark

I still am able to use my third monitor for flight simulation, by putting programs such as SimLauncherX and Plan-G on my other PC, and letting such programs connect to FSX or P3D via Simconnect or FSUPIC.  This way, my main flight sim PC can focus on running P3D/FSX on my other two monitors.

I use the P3D/FSX virtual cockpit (VC) on my main, larger (27") monitor in the middle, with maps, additional windows, instruments, etc., on my two side (24") monitors.  I have my left side monitor in portrait orientation, so that I don't have to turn my head to the left too far away from my VC.

are the new wide screen monitors any good for this ? saw one at my local pc store

but was a 29 inch screen but at  21:9 aspect ratio...  was kind of thinking of using that for fsx,

and say 2 24's for gauges and maps etc

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/monitors/lg-29-um65-series-ultrawide-full-hd-led-monitor.html

I find everyhting about my AMD Eyefinity setup to be spectacular, I would never do it any other way now. Two monitors with a bezel in the centre of the cockpit would not work for me. The three monitors work nice to resemble one forward and two side viewing windows. :)

Hi Benjamin,

I tried two monitors, but as Mark said, the bezels were right where you need to see, and I couldn't tolerate that.

I settled for three 22" monitors, and was very satisfied for a long time.  Just recently one monitor packed in, and I agonised over keeping the three setup, of going for a widescreen TV.  I finally settled for two new 19"s, with a 22" in the middle (the other 22" kept for a spare).

I'm delighted with the new 19-22-19 setup, but it is 48" across, if your space is limited.

My resolution is 3840x1024, and I've run it successfully on GTX 580, 680, and now on a 970.

Good Luck with your choice.

Jim

Morning Everyone, 

Thanks a bunch for the continuous feedback, such a great community to nudge! 

To be candid, I never really considered the latest widescreen technologies (talking 4K'ers here), mainly due to performance specification concerns such as response time, input/output lag, and refresh rate. While I love the notion of having a single super widescreen surround me for the ultimate simulation/gaming experience (winks), or extending across a large portion of my desk rather, the specs and pricing distract me. When it comes to $1k+ upfront capex for a single large monitor, I'm a bit hesitant (actually very hesitant). The technology is still in its infancy as well, specifically within the gaming community... so I rather see where it goes over the next 1 to 3 years. But don't get me wrong, I appreciate the recommendation for sure! It's a grand idea :)Any specific widescreen monitors come to mind?

Glad I asked about the two monitor approach and possible bezel issues. I was trying to envision it while flying the other night, and honestly, I'd hate to have a bezel cutting my viewpoint straight down the middle. The three monitor approach might be the solution I think, but it may also be time to start measuring desk dimensions. For those on three monitors using Prepar3d, do you expand the window or use a native technology such as Nvidia Surround to amplify the experience and limit bezel restrictions?

- Benjamin

I use a TH2GO digital to give me a single screen, 3840x1024, over my three monitors, i.e. 3x1280, the native resolution of each.

I don't use bezel correction.  My VC view, over the three screens can be adjusted slightly, so that nothing is hidden by the bezels.  I like the wide view, but have to accept that the vertical component is much narrower than ideal, although it can always be adjusted to encompass the cockpit windows.

I fly at 80% zoom, full screen, light aircraft sometimes 100%.  The notorious stretching at this resolution disappears when I use TIR.

I fly only with a virtual cockpit, and have a second computer with a 22" monitor above for Plan G, and FS Commander.

This setup has served me well for years, starting with an i7-2600K, and GTXs 580, 680, 970, and now an i7-4790 with the 970.  With suitable settings in FSX and P3D, I've always had smooth flying.  I wouldn't like to go for a higher resolution though, as my CPU has always been working pretty hard with what I have!

I hope all the above is helpful.

Jim

Thanks Jim for your input, appreciate it. I'm actually 99.9% certain I'll hold off on the second monitor at this point, and the community's input is to thank. While I would like the extra real estate so to speak, the second monitor really wouldn't bring much to the table as for an enhanced simulation experience. The triple layout sounds quite nice, but measurements and analysis will have to be conducted this weekend *chuckles*. If it were to work, the outside monitors would definitely have to be on a relatively steep angle I think... we'll see. As for two monitors, I really haven't anything to place on it. I always print my flight plan :)

Great point regarding resolution as well. The EVGA GTX 780 SC has been outstanding to-date, but that's on a 1920x1080 resolution. My graphics are pretty pumped up within Prepar3d, and I'm still testing various settings within the NVIDIA Control Panel. Ah which leads me to another question for the community. For those on NVIDIA GPUs and running Prepar3d, anyone willing to share NVIDIA 3d settings in the thread? I'd love to cross compare, etc. Some settings so far have really impacted frames, performance, and quality. I'll share my settings later this evening, just testing a few adjustments tonight (purchased Northern California - can't wait for the KSFO approach). 

- Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

I know little about Nvidia Control Panel, but have stopped using Nvidia Inspector for now.  In 3D Settings I'm using:

DSR Factors         1.5

DSR Smoothness  25%

Multi-display/......    Single Display performance mode (since the triplehead supplies a single display)

Power Management  Prefer maximum performance

Texture Filt- Trilinear Optimization  Off

All others default.

These are just what I have tried.

Jim

does any one use the triple head to go 's ?   are they easy to set up ?

I use TripleHeat2Go also.  Pretty easy to set up.  I also did not like the bezel in the middle of the screen.  I do use bezel correction and use zoom at 1.0.   It works pretty well.

Rod

I used Nvidia surround with 3 Monitore (1600*1200 each) wich gave me 5070 * 1200 (including bezel-correction). Now I'm using one 21 to 9 Monitor which gives me 3440 * 1440. That is a Little over 2 Screens from my previous Installation and I prefer it. No bezel's and as the Monitor is curved the immersion is great.

Interesting HeH, so you're mainly on a single 21" now versus a full three monitor layout. It's apparent many people have gone from multiple to single, because of an improvement with WS, higher resolutions (e.g. 4k), and pretty awesome performance specs.

- Benjamin

Yes Benjamin, I'm using a single 34" Monitor (not 21"). Together with TrackIr it's a great combination. And as I mentioned it's more then 2 of my previous Monitors in horicontal Resolution. There is a tread about that Monitor (LG) here at ORBX

Afternoon HeH, 

This larger monitor layout got me thinking, what if one goes with the following layout: 

1x larger center monitor (e.g. 27")

1x smaller off-center right-side monitor (e.g. 24")

With this layout, the center bezel wouldn't shoot straight down the center of the cockpit, correct? Rather it would be slightly off center due to the larger center monitor? And the 24" monitor in this instance would be an expanded view of the cockpit? I'm thinking stick with the same monitor brand/make to sync colors across the two.

Thanks everyone. This thread has been very helpful as I weight my options.

Benjamin

I have found that trying to use different sized monitors causes all kinds of resolution conflict issues and turns into a nightmare.. The only proper way to do a multi monitor setup is with AMD eyefinity....unfortunately the majority of the flight sim community considers using anything AMD to be a huge sin and will never experience how awesome it really is lol ! :))

Afternoon HeH, 

This larger monitor layout got me thinking, what if one goes with the following layout: 

1x larger center monitor (e.g. 27")

1x smaller off-center right-side monitor (e.g. 24")

With this layout, the center bezel wouldn't shoot straight down the center of the cockpit, correct? Rather it would be slightly off center due to the larger center monitor? And the 24" monitor in this instance would be an expanded view of the cockpit? I'm thinking stick with the same monitor brand/make to sync colors across the two.

Thanks everyone. This thread has been very helpful as I weight my options.

Benjamin

You won't like the view. Best approach, buy one large monitor for your flight view and use a second one for gauges, 2d controls etc.

Hi Benjamin,

I agree with Double J. I have the 34" 21 to 9 Screen for the scenery-view and a 16" 16 to 9 Screen for the gauges. That makes a usefull Setup.

And I can tell also that Nvidia Suround is as usable as AMD Eyfinity for  multimonitor Setup as I have used both. So whatever Brand You have if it`s a newer Card You can Setup multi-Monitor. But actually I prefer the 21 to 9 as there is no bezel between Monitors. This is grat with application like photoshop and so on too.

By the way the thread about the Monitor was from 'Capt Pugwash' There are lots of Pictures and comments there. He recommendet the LG-Screen here in the Forums.

Archived