PAJN Juneau - flashing smoke on cabins in DX10

wulfbindewald

Hi there,

the chimney smoke of the two cabins in front of RWY08 is flashing or is completly surpressed when using DX10 during dawn independent of the PAJN ORBX control panel check box set to DX9 or DX10.

At day the smoke is visible and fine.

SteveFX (dev from DX10 fixer) could not find a rational and satisfactory workaround for this prob.

Any chance to get it solved?

An intermediate solution is to switch on the aircraft landing lights, but it is not really the preferred solution.

Wulf

2015-2-8_18-38-20-15.jpg

Hi Wulf,

interesting though I've no idea about the cause or a fix. The smoke effects for our rustic cabins are actually part of the model (via an effect attachment point that calls the default fx_ChimneySmoke.fx) meaning there's nothing we can control externally other than placing (or deleting) the cabin. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

thanks for your info. Please consider this thread as closed.

Further improvement with respect to this specific DX10 related issue will be tried together with SteveFX.

Have you got the animations box ticked in settings?

If the "animation box" is located in the FSX menu....nearly all scenery sliders are maxed with exception to 5m res.

Wulf

I found today that in FSX-SE Dx10, chimney smoke effects flashed with the aircraft beacon until

I ran the effects converter, including particle effects which are excluded by

default.

You could try that perhaps, if you haven't already.

Thanks. Yes, this solves the smoke flashing but then the PAPI lights are off. Only switching the AC landing lights on "corrects" this.

Hopefully SteveFX will find a workaround in the future. I´ll keep this forum informed.

Wulf

• 3 weeks later...

The underlying problem is the fsx dx10 effects system! when optimising effects it appears to leak properties from one effect to the next until a two effect texture changes have occurred.

In this case the problem is the flashing property which the approach lights have in fx_HS_FSX_SAK_PAJN_LDIN_D.fx. This effect contains a single texture change.

This flashing property leaks to the shack's chimney smoke effect which must be next in the sort order. If you remove the shacks the flashing instead gets passed to the street lights.

The best workaround is to add an extra (20th) emitter into LDIN_D that displays a non flashing black (invisible ) light using a different texture to the preceding strobes. This extra texture change in LDIN_D is sufficent to prevent the flashing property being passed on.

Hi Steve,

nice bit of sleuthing, many thanks for the explanation! If I read this correctly there's no way to predict this kind of unwanted interaction meaning one cannot avoid it up-front.

I can make those changes to the effect file. Does "using a different texture" mean a completely separate texture file or just a different offset within the same sheet? (effect textures like fx_2.bmp contain more than one "sprite").

Cheers, Holger

Holger

Yes no way to predict really.

It needs to be a different texture sheet to the preceding one but it can be one already used so I added this which uses fx_1.bmp again after the marine texture used for the strobes.

[Emitter.20]

Lifetime=0.50, 0.50

Delay=0.00, 0.00

Bounce=0.00

No Interpolate=1

Rate=1.00, 1.00

X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00

Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00

Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00

Drag=0.00, 0.00

X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00

Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00