Scenery Library Management in FSX

MZee1960

Hi Guys !

I have just recently downloaded the first couple of what I am sure will be a lot of FSX Scenery upgrades  -  FTX Global and FTX Vector.  ( FS Global Mesh is on my radar in the near future also ).

Since Orbx offers so many different scenery addons (airports, terrain regions, Open LC etc.) , how can I ensure that I have these addons   'where they need to be'   in the FSX Scenery Library ? 

Like most people, I will probably download a Terrain region,  then a couple of Airports for that region,  then perhaps Open LC Europe, then Palm Springs Airport, then another Terrain region  etc., etc......  that is to say not in ANY particular sequence or order  -  so how do I make sure all of these downloads go in the   'right place'  in the Scenery Library  ?  Is there a link to any such info on this topic,  or ??

Thank-you,  in advance, for your guidance.

MZ

I always let the installer put it where it wants to with Orbx and Pilot's Global Ultimate mesh.  Tongass Fjords goes just below the Orbx sceneries if you have SAK (make it the insertion point).  I put everything else (Return to Misty Moorings, Vancouver, BC Orbx compatible sceneries, FSX addon airports) on top of the Orbx sceneries in alphabetical order.  Seems to work fine.

Noel

The reason I am asking is I currently have an issue as outlined here :  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/91472-aec-tool-and-default-fsx-airport-issues/

My Scenery Library is  'as was organized by the Orbx installer' , and has  ORBX_OPENLCEUROPE1,  ORBX_OPENLCNAMERICA1,  and  ORBX_OPENLCBASE  as the first three entries at the top of the Library.   

Somehow, when I run the ACE Tool in Vector and  'disable'  KSEA,  the  'valley'  that is KSEA disappears, and the surrounding autogen then  'bleeds'  into the airport region causing it to be full of trees and buildings  -  as if some   'invisible boundary wall'   between the airport and it's surroundings was eliminated by the ACE Tool elevation correction.

MZ

Hi Wolter,

I followed the directions in your link : How to Configure OpenLC scenery library entries.  Moved the OpenLC entries below Addon Scenery and made Addon Scenery the insertion point.

Then I followed you directions  : 

'please try and switch FTX Central to Global and then back to NA hitting apply on both counts, fire up fsX and let it rebuild it's Dbase, have a look at the field, close fsX

WAIT till the fsX application is fully shut down, takes a bit of time, the run then Vector AEC tool, follow the prompts on screen and DON't forget to hit Apply BEFORE exiting the Application , fire up fsX again and see what it looks now'

Found out all this just an exercise with the same bad result  -  trees and buildings all over airport at KSEA.

Hwk0f.jpg

I had to manually add KSEA to the 'disable' list, as nothing was found using the 'auto-configuration' method.

What should I try next  ??

Hi MZee

Have you run the latest ORBX Libs.?

If you have done that already and it didn't work then you could try one more thing that I can think of, it's a real long shot but try disabling frozen water bodies in the config tool.

Hi Guys,

I already tried that  (disabling frozen water option). It made no difference. I have the latest ORBX Libs installed in the Scenery Library at the very top, then Addon Scenery second, then the Open LC files etc.  with the Insertion Point at Addon Scenery as per manual directions. 

I just finished reading all the posts dealing with Mesh here :  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70640-mesh-clarification/

This just leaves me wondering if I should try to install  FS Global Mesh 2010 FTX Compatible now ?  Stefan Schaefer says here that  :

"Bottom line:

It may make sense to have a mesh product installed and no vector product.

It definitely makes no sense to have a vector product installed without a
good mesh. No river, no street, no nothing will follow a valley correctly! "

I PM'd  Iain Emms before purchasing Vector when I only had FTX Global re if I should get Mesh or Vector next ?  He said get Vector. 

Also ' The Definitive Guide to FTX Products ' reflects this opinion :

Install Order:

FTX Products all contain special coding and files to make sure they are always where they need to be in

your Flight simulator scenery list.

It does not matter what order you install the FTX products (other than the latest libraries being installed

last) as they will always self -order themselves.

However, if you prefer a solid method of installing, we would suggest the following:

FTX Global Base

FTX Global Vector

FTX Global Open LC (When Available)

Terrain Mesh

FTX Full Regions

FTX Airports

If you check out the link to the Mesh posts I provided earlier  (above), there are a lot of people saying   'we have Vector but no mesh besides FSX mesh, and although Orbx states that it will work with FSX Mesh, we have poor results, and should have purchased a good quality mesh to use with it'.

I just wonder,  if I purchased a mesh for the entire world,  would  FS Global Mesh 2010 FTX Compatible be the right choice ?  and,  would this Mesh perhaps  'solve'  this issue  ?   Also, is there anything that I would have to do to my already installed FTX Global Base and FTX Vector before downloading and installing this Mesh ?   (I have Flashget DM, but it still may take a while, several hours, I think.) 

I am running out of options and no fix in sight.  I really do not want to spend the extra cash on mesh right at this moment, but I am desperate for a solution, and since mesh was on my  'wish list'  down the road,  I am willing to get it now if it means a solution to this problem which has left me  'in limbo'  for several days now

MZ.

IMO....Regardless if a mesh product will fix all your issues or not (maybe it will create different issues), Installing it is a no-brainer in the big picture of FS....try it...it is part of the hobby. "FS Global Mesh 2010 FTX Compatible" is the product that is/was used to to test with Orbx products....so it probably would be a good choice....it is the product I use, and I am very pleased with it :)

I do agree with the below statement 100%, it only made logical sense to me from day one. How can I expect the Vector data to display properly if the terrain contours are not proper?

"Bottom line:

It may make sense to have a mesh product installed and no vector product.

It definitely makes no sense to have a vector product installed without a
good mesh. No river, no street, no nothing will follow a valley correctly! "

Hi MZ

Here is the correct method for your scenery to appear in the FTX Scenery Library Insertion Point List.

Launch FTX Central and click Tools/Scenery Library Configuration/FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points and a list appears. The correct order is as follows from the top:

Non Orbx Scenery and Airports

FTX mesh products, libraries and various other FTX files

FTX Airports

FTX Regions

Orbx openLC files

Your basic FlightSim files starting with Addon scenery

Four Orbx Vector Files

Base files

Orbx Vector AEC

Default scenery

Default terrain.

It is important that openLC files are all below the other Orbx files.

If you highlight 'Addon Scenery' in the insertion point list and then click 'set insertion point', this should put everything where it should be. Sometimes you have to try more than once.

Orbx Vector files will find their own place on the list and are well down below all others including openLC split into four files together and one near the bottom.

Hope these comments help

Kind regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

My Scenery Library looks like this :  (as per Wolter van der Spoel's link,  'How to Configure OpenLC Scenery Library Entries pdf ' provided in his comments above).

Orbxlibs

Addon Scenery

OpenLCEurope

"     NAmerica

"     Base

PropellerObjects

GlobalGeneric&VehicleLibraries

Las Vegas

Rio de Janeiro

St.Maarten

Oshkosh aerial photo

10 Continents

4 Vector files

All of the Numbered 'Base' files

Vector AEC

Default Scenery

Default Terrain

I only moved Addon Scenery to above the OpenLC entries, and made it the  "insertion Point",  as per this article.  Currently, I only have FTX Global and Vector and NO other scenery addons whatsoever.

Cheers,

MZ

Archived