Realistic ATC

teecee

The default ATC gives me the hebbie jeebbies, but I have never got around to finding an alternative, with the exception of downloading some real life regional ATC (by city in AUS and NZ and the case of the UK, from Ireland) and playing them as background "noise"..

Is there anything out there with regional voices that works reasonably well? and when I say regional I think basically I am looking for English and American.

I am completely out of touch with the latest in ATC so any comments will be appreciated. Teecee.

You can augment the FSX/P3d with live ATC streams that vary as you change your COM1 frequency. It's a great little piece of donationware called LAAP:

http://laap.atc.free.fr/regusers/telechargement2-en.php

It uses the VLC freeware media player to play real time pls streams of actual ATC, all of which can be found here:

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

Shermank, Thanks for your suggestion, but I fly VFR exclusively, can't stand dealing with those RL controllers ::) .

"It uses the VLC freeware media player to play real time pls streams of actual ATC, all of which can be found here:"

Thanks JA, I DL it and the sound files, but having trouble setting it up.. Looks like just what I was looking for though so I am really looking forward to using it.. Teecee.

I have been using Pro Flight Emulator (PFE) together with FDC Live Cockpit (FDC) for a number of years now and I can highly recommend them. PFE replaces the default ATC and includes many voice sets with different English accents, taxi guidance system both verbal and visual and many other improvements. FDC acts as a copilot, performing checklists ext. also has cabin crew announcements, again with different accents. You can buy them individualy or together. They have been tweaked to work together.

Thanks Toriu, I will check it out, but it sounds like "big bird" stuff, and I only fly the singles and an occasional double, so don't require cabin crew and co-pilot stuff..I will definitely give it a look though. Teecee.

Just to share my real and Fsx/P3D experiences, the default ATC is pretty closed to what I practise in the US, in VFR, with the Flight Following : lots of trafic, often trafic information, mixed on certains airspaces IFR/liners/GA/VFR, hands off from center to center.

Without being perfect and still, obviously far, from IVAO/VATSIM (with good players around) or PilotEdge, the default ATC is my favorite tool if I want to get trained before flying in US/VFR.

PFE, Radar Contact and Pilot2ATC all sound like a robot is talking you. Like a bad 1950's Hollywood version of a 1980's 'future' robot.

tumblr_lk42iatCQ21qcay1ao1_500.gif

They're all pretty bad, and more importantly, immersion breaking in the extreme. I'd just stick with the default ATC if I were you.

Ca

PFE, Radar Contact and Pilot2ATC all sound like a robot is talking you. Like a bad 1950's Hollywood version of a 1980's 'future' robot.

They're all pretty bad, and more importantly, immersion breaking in the extreme. I'd just stick with the default ATC if I were you.

Cant agree with you as per PFE. Maybe some of the examples on Youtube sound robotic but in the actual program the voices sound very natural.

Thanks JA, I DL it and the sound files, but having trouble setting it up.. Looks like just what I was looking for though so I am really looking forward to using it.. Teecee.

The author suggest that if you are having trouble and not hearing live streams, that you go to one of the default airports, because he included an archived ATC  file for each of them. Also, make sure that the LAAP configuration file (which is plain text and can be edited with Notepad) is pointing to the correct folder where the VLC app is installed. 

Else, go to the airport closest to your home that has a live stream (PLS file) available. Download the PLS file and put it your sim's folder:

<flight sim main folder>\modules\LiveATC Freq

Make sure that you name it correctly. For example, if it was KLGA and it was the tower live stream, then the file would be named:

KLGA_TWR.PLS

Also, there is a collection of common PLS files that you can download as a package from here:

http://fs-pilots.com/LAAP_Info.php

The LAAP user's manual has all this information spelled out in detail. I have mine set up so that VLC plays the live ATC through my headsets.

why not try Vatsim real time atc. All the controllers are volunteers and you will really enjoy it as these guys take control of you when departing and landing or enroute. They are very helpful. you could also think about joining a VA "Virtual Airline"

I am in Noble air and you can find them at www.nobleair.net

We are worldwide and we use a very up to date pirep system that records all our flights plus any incidents or faulty aircraft etc.

Check out the website

...Go for Pilotedge! Its amazing and a complete new experience. They only serve Socal and Nevada at the moment. I hope that we will see Socal scenery soon from ORBX, right now I use FTX Global together with UT USA - still ok.

Especially when you fly VFR it s an extremely exciting upgrade to your sim career. I remember how I was sweating like hell when a accidentally penetrated the Bravo airspace around LA and the controller caught me ;-)

As a non native English speaker I had lots of micro fear, but I started with some very easy flights from non towered airports and landed on class D - then moved over to some tricky parts like departing from bravo airspace and so on.

There is lots of training material on their website and you can make kind of exams which are not that easy sometimes.

- Thomas

Being one of the voices in PFE, I've never had my voice described as being robotic :o   

But-then-I-could-be-wrong.... :footmouth:

:D

I Use ATC by VOX, its expensive but worth every dollar, also you can buy real voice recordings to enhance it away from robotic. It has ozzie voices as well.

I tried it and its a good program but didn't buy it because it eats up a few frames on my rig (the voice recognition engine I suppose). How is it on your side ?

Archived