Why Steam?

Forgive my ignorance and believe me I am not having a go at anyone but if you already have FSX why are people rushing to get FSX SE?

I can see that it may open up new horizons to Steam users not familiar with FSX.

Please help, I'm baffled.

Dunno, but some claims it's more stable and there are a few fixes in the steam version. I have not yet bought the steam version because Im quite satisfied with what I currently have. Anyway it's great to see FSX on steam because it could bring in some new people, wich we need to keep the hobby alive:)

People have bought FSX Steam Edition (SE) as an online backup for their FSX installation DVDs. (Mind that you should not run parallel installations of FSX and FSX SE as the SE can adversely affect your FSX.)

And there seem to be performance gains when going from FSX to the SE due to a more recent compiler that had been used for the SE. (Pls. mind also that not yet each and every FSX addon installs into and runs in the SE.)

(Mind that you should not run parallel installations of FSX and FSX SE as the SE can adversely affect your FSX.)

If the correct procedures are followed, FSX and FSX SE will remain

entirely seperate and have no effect on each other at all.

Forgive my ignorance and believe me I am not having a go at anyone but if you already have FSX why are people rushing to get FSX SE?

I can see that it may open up new horizons to Steam users not familiar with FSX.

Please help, I'm baffled.

The only reason for me is the greatly enhanced VAS management and Terrain Cache Flushing which significantly reduces OOM's. Once the Addons are loaded on, performance remains largely the same, but the OOM's have been significantly reduced.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to give my two cents to this topic as to why or why not buy it.

I have read and paid attention to all the comments here and in steam.

Now first of all, it is still a 32-bit product.  What Dovetail did was to optimize the code, clean it up and using newer compilers, recompiled it.  What this means for us?  First FS9 uses have always had and FSX did, the ability for our GPUs to do something.  FSX(Boxed) was coded to use only the CPU for all renderings.  I have tried different video cards and nothing helps, no better frames nothing.  FSX-SE (steam edition) now takes advantage of your video card and works better.  I am not saying that it's 100% at this point, Orbx, PMDG and others are still having to work to make all there products work.

I have had it sense it first showed up for $5.00 and have been testing and working it as much as possible.  You will find me flying my Cessna 208 around Alaska on VATSIM.  I have all my orbx products installed, with the exception of the flowcontrol DLLs (FSX-SE can't run these), so far everything is working.

I've heard that Vectors causes out of memory errors, but that is not confirmed.  I do get those, but I'm sure there will be a fix for that too.

Why if you already have boxed get SE?  Better over all frames, sharper scenery, and it is really a new version of FSX.  I don't use the multiplayer in it because I do all my stuff on VATSIM, but the multiplayer does open up flying with shared cockpits, multiple people doing group flights, etc.

I'm sure that as they keep getting input of problems, all the developers will be working on making there products more compatible.

By the way, I use FS Global Real Weather, all the Orbx stuff you see listen in my post, Aircraft from Corinado, iFLY, and Wilco.  I also have GSX, Anchorage X, Fairbanks X, Dutch Harbor, and more.

Anyway, I hope this helps and helps others with deciding if they will make the switch.

Archived