Airport elevated on 'buttes"? FTX Global or FS Global Mesh

cmitch81

Hello, I recently installed FS Global Mesh and also FTX Global. I noticed, a lot of my airports (I fly around the desert SW-USA) are elevated compared to the surrounding terrain. Like sitting on little buttes. This seem to affect JUST the green rectangular areas the airport runways are contained within. There are short but sheer little 'cliffs' forming the sides of the rectangles.

Anybody else noticed this? Solutions?

Is this a FTX or FS issue?

If FS is there a forum for them somewhere?

Thanks. Other than this I am VERY happy of this combination of Terrain products. Looking at FTX Vector next.

Carl

The effect you are seeing is a result of two things.

Firstly, airports and airfields are very rarely flat, except in

FSX where they all are.

Secondly, the FSX default mesh is very coarse and so despite

the airports being flat and sometimes at the wrong elevation, no cliffs

appear around them.

By introducing a more complex and accurate mesh, the inaccuracies

are unfortunately highlighted as the terrain is corrected but

the airport remains where it is.

That is why you see the cliffs, they are where the airport flattened area,

which normally does indeed coincide with the green background area,

is no longer level with the corrected surrounding terrain.

FTX Vector includes a device which goes a long way towards

correcting these errors and is a good idea for you.

It is also very good at correctly placing coastlines, shorelines of inland

water, rivers, roads, railways and powerlines.

Thank Nick, I will be getting Vector next. I may reading since my first post I saw the FS has something called a "Airport Elevation Tool (AFX)" but I cannot find it in my FS Global folders.

Ever heard of it? Or, have any experience with it? Looks like it only corrects one airport at a time, however.

Would your recommendation still be to try Vector first?

After Vector.... Australia region then.... "the World"!!

Thanks again.

Carl

===============

Carl,

FS Global mesh is the cause of your airport plateaus.  (The mesh is more accurate that the old FSX data, as Nick explained.)

FTX Global Base replaced the old FSX textures and won't effect your airport elevations, though it does make all the airport pads green (even in the tan desert unfortunately).

FTX Global Vector is primarily a vector (roads, railroads, rivers, coastlines) product.  However it includes "Corrected airport elevations for all default airports" per the product description.   I think it will fix the plateaus.

I don't have FS Global mesh, but YES, the Airport Elevation Tool is there so you can fix airports yourself.

If you are planning to get Vector soon, I might wait and see if it fixes the plateaus, before doing them manually with the Airport Elevation Tool :)

Happy flying,

Matt

Thanks guys. I will get vector and then revisit this forum about how to get Airport Elevation Tool (or where to find where it was put when I downloaded FS) IF it is still needed.

I will keep you posted.

Carl

Hi Carl

The AEC tool is part of and included with Vector. :)

g9FhG.png

Cheers

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I found and have used the tool WITHIN Vector. Thanks. Vector seems to have gotten rid of my 'mile high' buttes but at the expense or creating lots of 'built up' airports especially in mountain and hill country and at smaller airports.

I understand that that is not a Vector problem just a trade-off BUT anything out there to customize individual airport's RUNWAY elevations at each end? And, maybe slope?

I think when Vector changes elevations it sometime disrupts other Add-on airport scenery that previously worked with FSX terrain? Is this everyone's experience?

Thanks

Carl

Archived