Support Request for Hard Winter ground textures not in December (Winter Months)

Orbx Flyer

Alex..  here is a pic of Norway at FEB 15 with snow textures... and December 15, 2014 with no hard winter textures...

Here are two shots of Norway in Feb and December, same area.

http://fsfiles.org/f...tsimshotsv2/lvr

December 15/2014....

http://fsfiles.org/f...tsimshotsv2/lvW

Post Edit:  January 15 looks like the Feb 15 shot.   

Before I just posted this, I could not get Hard Winter to load. Now, it seems to be loading in for the months of Jan/Feb, but not Dec.  Would that be normal for Norway around Christmas?

My Scenery Lib entries are all as ORBX states they should be....including Europe Open LC, of which I have.

I don't think there is anything wrong.  In real life, December doesn't automatically mean snow.  Norway has a milder climate than many think because of the current.  I live in Grand Forks, ND, we're ranked the coldest city in America.  It almost hit 50°f the last few days and we have no snow on the ground and haven't even had a significant snowfall yet. I think the guys at Orbx did a good job in that the photo you took of Oslo in December still looks like December(grass is dead and the only green trees are the coniferous ones).

Maybe, just maybe the weather conditions that apply in Canada do not apply to Norway, as previous poster stated the Gulf-stream hits the Norwegian coast hence a milder climat, same applies for where I live, on the coast it is in winter mostly warmer than inland

I guess that could be, Wolter.  I tried January again, after an FSX shutdown, and could not get hard winter as I had a half hour ago.  I then moved onto Feb..and it came up as hard winter.  I had ASN running throughout all the pics.   I could always I guess, go to Feb 15th if I wanted to see the hard winter textures. That would work, perhaps....  Everything else about Norway, is very top rate, IMPO!

Thanks,

I don't think there is anything wrong.  In real life, December doesn't automatically mean snow.  Norway has a milder climate than many think because of the current.  I live in Grand Forks, ND, we're ranked the coldest city in America.  It almost hit 50°f the last few days and we have no snow on the ground and haven't even had a significant snowfall yet. I think the guys at Orbx did a good job in that the photo you took of Oslo in December still looks like December(grass is dead and the only green trees are the coniferous ones).

Something to surely take into consideration.  

Thanks for your response.

I guess that could be,  I tried January again, after an FSX shutdown, and could not get hard winter as I had a half hour ago.

What day in January did you try?  Their season lookups probably don't start on the 1st of the month, so you'll have to keep trying different dates until you find the first day of hard winter textures.  I'm going to guess that if they created a custom season lookup for this scenery that it is actually based off of the real world weather for whatever year they were referencing.

Rob

What day in January did you try?  Their season lookups probably don't start on the 1st of the month, so you'll have to keep trying different dates until you find the first day of hard winter textures.  I'm going to guess that if they created a custom season lookup for this scenery that it is actually based off of the real world weather for whatever year they were referencing.

Rob

Hi Rob,   I used mid month (the 15th) for December, January, and February.  I got the hard winter always using Feb 15, but only got hard winter once, using Jan 15.  I got it once...then shut down FSX, then fired it up again....dialed in Feb 15th in the same area, but got green, non hard winter ground textures.  Seems hit and miss...per session.

Could you post some screenshots of the same area on a month-by-month basis? 

Something else to check is to make sure the seasons.bgl file is intact, it is located in C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\scenery and named "seasons_FTX_EU_NOR.bgl". Also check to make sure that the library order is correct with FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM on the bottom of the set of Norway entries and FTX_EU_NOR_SCENERY at the top.

Could you post some screenshots of the same area on a month-by-month basis? 

Something else to check is to make sure the seasons.bgl file is intact, it is located in C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\scenery and named "seasons_FTX_EU_NOR.bgl". Also check to make sure that the library order is correct with FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM on the bottom of the set of Norway entries and FTX_EU_NOR_SCENERY at the top.

Thanks for all that, Alex, and when I have a little time, will do 12 shots of the same area as requested and post. I certainly will look at the above as soon as I fire up both FSX and P3D v2.4.  Thanks again!

Post Edit: Alex, for the Norway Scenery lib entries, I have the following:

Top to bottom:

FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY

FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX

FTX_EU_NOR_07_MESH

FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM

They all sit below FTX_AA_YOSEMITE and above FTX_NA_CRMO5_SCENERY library entries.

The seasons_FTX_EU_NOR is there where you state, at a size of 373 KB.

Hi there,

also, please see  http://www.orbxsyste...-in-ftx-norway/

Cheers, Holger

Will do, Holger, with thanks.   Other than this thread, I am very impressed and most happy with FTX Norway.  Very immersive, to say the least!

Hi there,

also, please see  http://www.orbxsyste...-in-ftx-norway/

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger...just read this link...and it does explain perhaps what I am seeing...and what I have been used to.....in other ORBX products.  As a result, I won't hold this new product and approach to winter/season/variations, to the old understanding and expectations....and will loosen up, and enjoy the product.  I have no idea of what the actual weather (temperate, non-temperate) of Norway is during all the four seasons...so am not an authority on whether the depictions on a monthly/daily 'scene' is accurate to the R.W.   Thanks for the link...and will just for now...'go with the winter...er...'flow'....

PNW

A few years back, we used to get hard winter in early october and it used to last until May in the most northern coastal parts of Norway. In the later years we have started to get less winter(climate change?), last year the snow didn't settle before January and it dissapeared in late April. I used to ride snowmobiles, but in later years the season is so short that the hobby almost isn't worth it.

Archived