FTX England - the wall

WhizWheel

Hello,

Was flying the other evening and was flying from Shoreham to Duxford.  About halfway between Shoreham and the MAY DVOR, a huge wall appeared that ran vertical for at least eight to ten thousand feet and when looking at the ground, looked like it came from a fault line.  Screen shots below.  It doesn't happen often, but it has happened before in FTX England, but never in PNW, NRM, or CRM. It would change location as I flew near/around it and it did eventually disappear when reaching a certain distance north of it.  Is there a cause/fix for this.   Thanks for any insight/advice.

Cheers,

Jerry

bXlnH.png

VYhMw.png

dMKh.png

Z9j0M.png

Hey Doug,

I don't know.  Never had this happen any place else ???  My system isn't top dog, but running I5-3570K cranked up to 4.1Ghz and my video card is the Nvidia GTX 660 at 2G.   Maybe I'll try flying that area some more to see if it happens again.  At least it does go away once I get far enough away.

Hi there,

actually, that doesn't look like the random spikes one gets due to system overload but rather like a rogue elevation flatten file. I doubt it's in one of our folders because then we'd have others report on it before. I'd suggest next time you spot it put the plane into slew mode, save the flight, and then check again after temporarily deactivating both FTX (i.e., set FTX Central to Default) and any other add-on entries you may have for that area in your scenery library menu. If you post coordinates then others can cross-check against their add-ons too.

Also, are you using any third-party terrain mesh files for England?

Cheers, Holger

Once in a blue moon an install will be corrupted, particularly if more than one process is going on at the time.  It's a long time since I've had problems as the new multi core CPUs are more resilient to competing demands on CPU time, however it does remain a possibility.  I had a few instances back in FS9 days when the installed mesh had some points that were set to several thousand feet below sea level, resulting in an enormous deep hole.  I spent a wicked hour flying straight down into it at full speed but that's another story.  One other improbable reason is that the scenery is loading into RAM incorrectly.

If there's no other solution you could try uninstalling the EE England scenery, running FSX at least once in default mode, and reinstall, making sure as few processes are running as possible. As Holger said, graphics card spikes come and go and move around, this is a static anomaly that looks like the result of some mesh points being set several thousand feet above where they should be.  Their disappearance when you get far enough away is explained by different mesh resolutions being called at different distances.  Good luck!

Thanks guys for trying to point me in the right direction.  I did some testing tonight flying around the same area.  With FTX England loaded, I got the wall running from west to east approximately N51-00.47  E0-00.32 to N50-59.89 E01-00.33.  I experimented and flew towards it to see if it would let me crash into it.  It didn't.  It would disappear in front of me and then reappear behind me.   I then went into FTX Central and switched over to Global(I only have the Iceland Freeware) and did the same flight/test.  The wall was still there, but this time when I tried to fly into it, it didn't keep disappearing and allowed me to crash into it, consequently resetting me to my T/O field.  I guess if there is no other settings I can adjust, I'll try John's suggestion and uninstall/re-install FTX England.  Below are some more shots with FTX England loaded  and without.  There was a noticeable shaded line on the terrain surface below the wall.  Don't know if that sheds any more clues.

FTX England Loaded

ab8z0.png

Shaded terrain line

h1ymD.png

Wall with shaded terrain lines

Mp743.png

Flying east, the wall would extend east as I flew abeam it.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/19/lKgkx.png[/img

With FTX England deselected in FTX Central

VKmvh.png

Problem Solved !!!   :D  I decided to uncheck all the boxes in the Scenery Library.  Did a test flight in the troubled area and voila the wall was gone.  Next I started rechecking boxes and long story short, the problem was with my add-on scenery file.  After doing some more test flights the problem files were freeware bgl labeled France.  I couldn't track the source of that download, but now I am wall free.  Always seems like a little patience, some coffee, and no screaming kids(they were in bed ;D ) go a long way in troubleshooting FSX issues.  Thanks again for all the advice.

Cheers,

Jerry 

Hi Jerry,

good to hear and thanks for letting us know the file in question. Indeed, a systematic approach tends to yield the quickest results especially when coupled with the 50/50 method of activating/deactivating half the folders and files and then keep repeating that with the set that still includes the problematic file(s).

Cheers, Holger

Archived