openLC Europe - it's not supposed to look light this, right?

harryw

At Triengen, Switzerland LSPN  N47 14.27, E8 3.19

FTXEurope.jpg

FTXEurope2.jpg

Took me quite a while to realize that something's amiss because it still looks pretty good when flying around 2000' and concentrating on other stuff. Now I noticed that in my FTX Central there is no 'Europe' region icon, only 'Global' and 'North America' - maybe this is a clue as to what went wrong?  I tried reinstalling the Western Europe part but it still looks the same.

Any ideas what I can check / do to fix this?

Thanks!

You will see the "Europe"-icon only, if you have installed the Orbx-products England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland.

For flying in other European-regions you must use the "Global"-icon, or if you have not installed the above mentioned Orbx-products. 

You will see the "Europe"-icon only, if you have installed the Orbx-products England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland.

For flying in other European-regions you must use the "Global"-icon, or if you have not installed the above mentioned Orbx-products. 

This is the confusing part, why call it "Europe" when it is only the British Isles, then, if you want to enjoy the Open LC Europe, you have to select Global. Does not make any sense; obviously I wasn't the only one who got screwed up either.

Hi Harry

First thing I see is you don't have your vector roads showing

vrtzV.jpg

Unless you disabled them in Vector configuration tool check you scenery library order.

Vector entries should be under all FTX scenery entries. I have Vector entries just above FS Global mesh addon.

Also check that Global is selected in FTX Central and that the latest libraries are installed.

Cheers, Sylvain

Sylvain,

I have tertiary roads  disabled for performance. Scenery entry sequence is the same as with you, except way down (Scenery.003) is the FTX_VECTOR_AEC - and I suppose that's where it belongs. But I have no problem with airport elevation anyways. Orbx libs up to date and Global checked. The FTXGlobal validation tools show no error.

Butt least, thanks to your screen shot, I now know for sure that something is messed up. Here is another screen shot  at N47 14.27 E8 8.69 from a bit higher up with openLC Europe and every other Orbx addon except Base disabled. Maybe this pattern will look familiar to somebody who had the same problem (I always assume that my issues are not unique :) ).

FTXGlobalBase.jpg

Definitely not just you :) . My FSX (in DirectX 10 with Steve's v2.4) also looks messy since I bought OpenLC Europe and did an update marathon last night.

First, I updated various sceneries to the latest version (England, Scotland, Wales and a couple NZ/NA products).

Before I started, I had read about the issue that if you update Global to 1.30, you might run into trouble with OpenLC, and that you have to reinstall the OpenLC East package to fix it, so I decided to avoid this issue by first updating Global from 1.20 to 1.30, and then I installed all of the OpenLC packages afterwards. Finally installed the latest library files at the very end.

Also did an elevation correction pass at the very end to fix any potential issues on that end.

Not sure where I went wrong in the install order but when flying in Germany, I get missing textures and a very jumbled terrain where roads and rivers lead to nowhere or end up in mountains etc. I might update this post with a screenshot later tonight (UTC +2) when I have access to my FSX PC. Should look similar to yours or from my impression quite a bit worse even.

One thing I know I'm doing wrong now though is that I set FTX Central to 'Europe' when flying in Germany. If it's true that the EU setting is only for the UK, then I'll try if switching to Global fixes anything.

Another thing I might have done wrong is that maybe I should have updated to the latest libraries *before* the update marathon and then once more apply the library installation *after* all of the updates were installed(?) I remember that the installer for OpenLC said to make sure to have the latest libraries installed but I did not regard that as important because I was planning to install the latest libraries at the very end anyway since that is the standard MO.

Update: OK, so I reinstalled (did not uninstall but just ran all the setups again) FTX Global 1.30, then Vector 1.10 and the 1.15 update and finally OpenLC and finally the latest libraries even though they had already been installed. This time I launched FSX after each individual installation to make sure it could build its indexes. - The whole procedure has at least fixed the missing/corrupted textures for me. I'm not 100% sure if everything is working as intended now. For example, I'm still getting some rivers that are going uphill or bridges that look like they broke in half. Also, I have a feeling as if stuff is more blurry than it used to be.

Here are some screenshots. Maybe you guys can ease my mind or if something looks wrong, then tell me what's wrong, please.

1) Southern Germany near EDTF - River going uphill as we can see looking out to the left

fsx20141011x1l0uqack6.jpg

2) London Heathrow (FTX England is installed) - Note the blurry textures (is that normal?)

fsx20141011hrkae9cmt5.jpg

3) Once again a river riding the rollercoaster near EDTF (Freiburg, Germany)

fsx2014101152tbdqhmwu.jpg

4) Near EDDF (Frankfurt, Germany) - Note the blurry textures right ahead and then to the right the big grey blotch (I believe this is Frankfurt main station or the rail tracks in its vicinity)

fsx20141011bp9dtu5l3j.jpg

5) Followed the river Main from EDDF to the east and it's doing some wild stuff here

fsx20141011mv9zq0xgiy.jpg

What's wrong? 

Well, some considerations: 

1 What is your RIG? For FSX, you need a good CPU and a decent GPU 

2 But it does not matter much what the RIG, with this speed, 420-550 kt, there will always be blurry ... especially in England ... 

3 High Zoom and High Velocity (zoom> .70 + velocity> 250), there will be blurry ... 

And ... IMHO. 

That's it!

Thanks! My rig is a i5-2500K@4.2GHz, 32GB RAM and 2x GTX 770 4GB SLI. The GPUs are "bored" and throttling down even, while all four cores are at 100% in Heathrow and surroundings. I'm getting 11 - 15fps in Heathrow on the ground (with Ultimate Traffic 2 generating the AI traffic which causes quite a hit) :) . But as soon as I take off and climb out it quickly goes to ~20fps and rising. Above 10,000ft I'm at 30fps+ and then nearly 60fps at 20,000ft and higher. I like to use the F-18 for testing since you can take off and climb real fast.

So would you say that this is the normal level of quality that is to be expected from FTX Global + OpenLC EU + Vector at generally max/very high graphics settings in DirectX 10? Personally I'm thinking it's looking not detailed enough or maybe I just remember it wrong... I don't know... I haven't touched my sim in nearly six months and played quite a few other games in between. Maybe I've just become spoiled(?) or could there be something wrong?

For the rivers going uphill: what terrain mesh do you use? The high definition vector data could well collide with a more generic (say 76 m or less spaced) mesh.

For the blurries in dense urban areas: I think voyager is right - the somewhat outdated scenery engine of FSX may be struggling with such high speeds. Maybe, lowering your autogen density could help. Or switch over to P3D with its modern graphics engine.

Other than that, your screenshots show nothing uncommon. And yes, these "few other games" could well have spoilt you, as many simulator games are restricted to a small scenery area where the developers could put all their effort into the little details, and don't have to deal with the whole globe, expandability and legacy addons.

My 2 cts.

Thank you for your replies, but this is starting to get a bit derailed. I am not  concerned with detail or any performance related issues right now. I just want to make sure that my installation is as intended by Orbx.

I think it would be a great idea for Orbx to post some standard overhead screenshots at well defined location for users to compare against - just like Sylvain did for my screenshot above. Since he's a developer I assume that his installation is correct and I'd love to find out how to get there. 

For now I'd actually already be happy for *anybody* from Orbx to confirm that "yes, Sylvain's installation is how it should be and yes, there IS something wrong with yours'. 

For now I'd actually already be happy for *anybody* from Orbx to confirm that "yes, Sylvain's installation is how it should be and yes, there IS something wrong with yours'. 

Try a reinstallation in this order

1. FTX Global 1.3

2. FTX Vector 1.1 + update 1.15

3. FTX Open LC EU

4. ORBX latest libraries

Open FTX Central after each installation, check Global + hybrid mode and click apply

Start up FSX between each installation step and check if all works good

My settings

gDVMU.jpg

Looking at your last screenshots, apart from the blurries (performance issue as discussed) the actual landclass as you are seeing is correct.

The rivers running up mountains is not an openLC issue, more likely vectors and mesh. If it is worth anything I see the same at my end.

Thank you Sylvain, now it looks like your picture. What made the difference was applying Hybrid mode during the installation steps. Odd, because I'm in an area where I would have thought Global and lc Europe would look the same - Hybrid or not. In any case, Hybrid looks much more realistic for Switzerland. So thank you and case closed as far as my problem is concerned.

Thank you Sylvain, now it looks like your picture. What made the difference was applying Hybrid mode during the installation steps. Odd, because I'm in an area where I would have thought Global and lc Europe would look the same - Hybrid or not. In any case, Hybrid looks much more realistic for Switzerland. So thank you and case closed as far as my problem is concerned.

Glad your issue is resolved.

You will soon have some more airports to visit, there are two swiss airports in my next EU freeware pack.

Happy flights, Sylvain

Just to address a minor query, the "Europe" Icon is used in preparation for all the other European regions that might be created in future. i.e. To my knowledge the "Oceania" Icon does not include all countries and small island nations in that region but is in preparation for "one day" the same applies to the Americas.

Glad your issue is resolved.

You will soon have some more airports to visit, there are two swiss airports in my next EU freeware pack.

Happy flights, Sylvain

Looking forward to that - you work is very much appreciated!

Archived